Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcorn

Please help with color of tall cabinets in two-tone design

kcorn
10 years ago

We are planning a two tone design with walnut lowers in a natural stain and off white maple painted upper cabinets.

We are trying to make a decision on the color of the tall cabinets including the refrigerator top cabinet + panels and the pantry cabinet next to it. I have read some of the posts on this topic and curious if anyone has a strong opinion either way given our setup on this wall. We do not have any other tall cabinets in the design elsewhere.

DH prefers the white; I prefer the walnut.

(note the pantry cabinet is not turned the correct way in these pictures; also the fridge will be stainless counter depth FD model, not what is in the image)

Comments (14)

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the white option...

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

This is kind of a weird picture (stickies to tell my husband what to put where), but anyway, I debated and went with white. I don't think there's a wrong answer, but I liked having the upper above the fridge stay white, then it only seemed natural to have that run that all the way down on the pantry. I also liked having the fridge cover panel (box) be white instead of black because it seems a lot lighter.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

We also are in the process of doing two toned cabinets and decided to go with white for the fridge and cabinets that go to the ceiling.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I also don't think there's a wrong answer, but personally I prefer the dark color. We have white uppers and darker (wood-look melamine) lowers, and opted to panel the fridge to match the lowers.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I think it's really personal opinion. When I saw the KD renditions, I just knew I wanted the stained uppers/pantry - it just felt right to me. But I also have a stained hood on the opposite wall, so I felt they related to each other.

Can you show a picture from the wet bar side maybe so we can see the wall in relation to the rest of the space?

Does one 'feel' more right to you?

I know you've seen mine numerous times, but here it is again for reference.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a little hard to tell from this angle b/c the NKBA virtual planner doesn't let me add end panels (or I haven't figured that out yet), so the side of the pantry isn't showing up the right color. But here are a few other pics just to see how it flows with the rest of the room.

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White view

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I went white.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Our pantry is the same as the base cabinets. We decided to do this one wall cabinet in cherry to match the pantry. .All the rest of our wall cabinets match the hood, but I like the way the cherry cabinets frame the hood..

• lawjedi
    10 years ago

It is obviously a personal preference. In looking at each of the photos, they all looked nice - but gave different feelings/vibe. Which vibe do you want to convey?

grounded? packaged/wrapped up/boundary?

light? airy? expansive?

no wrong answer. whichever meets your goal.

(We will have a similar situation in our kitchen as well... I like the "grounded, anchored" look with the tall cabs being all dark.)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I think it's all about the balance. And I think you need the walnut to balance out all the white. Plus, I've always loved Majra's kitchen and like her reasoning, too.

• Majra
    10 years ago

Thank you ck_squared. It was one year ago that I was choosing all of my materials and finishes, and it has been eight months since completion. I am still in the honeymoon phase with my new kitchen! Head over heels!

Another theory of mine re: two-toned cabinetry, is that all of the white ones should float away visually. No fridge is going to do that. ;)

• kcorn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! It's helpful to be reminded of what you all have done and your perspectives! You all have such beautiful spaces and it's true that they both look nice. When I read ck_squared's comment about balance, it seemed more clear to me that in our particular space we need the darker / walnut to break up the wall of white uppers (not just in the fridge run, but then down the wall from that is the bar area with white uppers). I think the room might start feeling lopsided without the grounding of those cabinets with the darker / walnut color.

Decision made! Onto the next issueâ¦starting a different thread for that. Aye!