Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njcardsfan

Brew Express of other built in coffee makers

njcardsfan
14 years ago

Five years ago I bought and installed a Brew Express through-the-wall coffee maker. It s*cks. The waters comes out at 175 degrees and brews coffee in about two minutes. Much too cold and much too fast to make a good cup of coffee.

Now they have a "new and improved" on that, supposedly, brews the coffee hotter and better. The only reason I'd get it is because it fits in the existing hole and for existing owners, only costs $250 for the upgrade.

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer or have advice about a built-in coffee maker that you love?

Comments (3)

• coffeeholic350
    14 years ago

I too had a older Brew Express, but I recently changed to a newer 10 cup. I spoke with them and understood when I bought my original unit it was a new model to the market when it first came out, but it went through improvements over time. They told me it was designed and tested to the coffee industry standards. I was suprised to find coffee is best brewed at around 195-200f at the spray-head, and no heater plate was actually better. When I complained to Brew Express people they understood, but I didn't understand that the temperature drops quite a bit going into a stainless carafe. I also found that they did improve the older model quite a bit since the time I had bought it, but then they found it was necessary to create a better looking brewer, and one that could be more reliable. I also heard they changed to a 10 cup so it will hold better heat. I decided to change to a 10 cup because I couldn't resist the price as an existing customer and that it fit into the same installation box. I was skeptical at first, but they truly improved it. Did you know the new unit can brew 1 cup not just for coffee? It can also adjust the amount for a larger cup. My wife loves it for making tea and coco. I am glad Brew Express improved their product. Yes, it cost me twice, but it is still worth saving counter space and never adding water.
    That is my two cents.

Fred

• antss
    14 years ago

Pretty sure the Brew Express is th eonly game in town for this category.

• sue_b
    14 years ago

I love having the new 10 cup Brew Express in a cabinet and that it's plumbed for water so we never fill the coffee pot. It's fantastic that it's off the counter. We had the same experience as coffeholic and had quality problems with the 12 cup Brew Express installed August 2008. First I called Brew Express and the customer service person explained the same quality improvements, that it's 10 cup now, fits the same cut out, and said it will last for 10 years plus now with the new engineering method. But our kitchen remodel was through a design build company owned by an architect and the project is guaranteed. We had the contractor buy almost all the appliances so they technically bought the Brew Express. It had been over a year since it was installed but the design build company bought the new Brew Express and came to install it. Yes the new one works great, the coffee is very hot, and we are really pleased with the coffee and product.

Here's a photo of our coffee cabinet -- the new one doesn't look very different from this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brew Express website including a video on how it works