Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me define Transitional Style

Posted by Whit461 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 13:23

We are meeting with an interior designer tonight. DW and I have been throwing around the phrase "transitional" a lot lately, but not sure if we are right. We are in a traditional home, that leans toward comfortable furnishings, sisal rugs, bold blues, white whites, taupes (and soon to be greens) for wall colors. Wood floors, crown molding, white brick fireplaces. Now we have remodeled the kitchen and introduced white shaker cabinets and stainless appliances. Designer being brought in to help guide us with hardware, accent lighting, rugs, stools, tile on BS, etc. Maybe new dining furniture. We use our house. We live in our rooms. We opened the kitchen to the dining room so we had room and could live in our kitchen as well.

We've worked with her before. But I want to know what other people think is Transitional. What do you think it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me define Transitional Style

To me its between traditional and contemporary. Anyone else?

o
RE: Help me define Transitional Style

Totally agree with will2kz. My style is also transitional. The concept also calls to mind simplicity and clean lines.

Here's HGTV's definition. It's pretty comprehensive:

"Transitional style is a marriage of traditional and contemporary furniture, finishes, materials and fabrics equating to a classic, timeless design. Furniture lines are simple yet sophisticated, featuring either straight lines or rounded profiles. Fabric is as diverse as graphic patterns on overstuffed sofas and textured chenilles on sleek wood frames.

Colors: The transitional palette relies on a lack of color to evoke a clean, serene atmosphere. Dark brown can add depth to a neutral balance of taupe, tan and vanilla.

Accessories: A minimalist approach is taken with carefully selected accessories ��" a potted orchid gracefully arching in front of a window, white mats that set off photographs in simple black and silver frames, an oval wooden tray that provides a resting spot for similarly shaped silver candleholders. This kind of grouping provides a counterpoint to the furniture.

Fabrics: The lack of color makes room for interesting textures, such as the olive-colored corduroy found on the pictured sofa and a smooth, creamy white cotton used on two of the side chairs. Other good choices for a transitional space are soft ultrasuedes, pliable leathers and nubby chenilles.

Furniture: Curves combine with straight lines in a transitional style interior. The look balances both masculine and feminine attributes for a comfortably contemporary design. The scale of the pieces is ample but not intimidating. A lack of ornamentation and decoration keeps the focus on the simplicity and sophistication of the design."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here