Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am stuck with cabinets- need to order - need help!

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 13:21

I am desperate - I go back and forward between more modern and more transitional style ( I have golden oak 1950's hardwood floors and the house is not very modern ).

I love walnut but it's expensive and want to see your opinion on what would and stain should I pick for a slab door cabinets. I am not sure why but I am not a big fan of the shaker unless it's white and I don't want white kitchen.

I don't want a lot of grain on the wood ( would prefer more sleeker look ) and I don't want super dark stain.

I don't like raised doors so I am stuck... Please help - share pictures of your projects.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am stuck with cabinets- need to order - need help!

Have you gone to Houzz.com and perused their file of kitchens? You may get a heads up there.
Also, birch is a pretty smooth wood with not too much grain and makes for beautiful cabinets. How about a simple raised panel door?

o

I would look at Karin_mt's kitchen I have it linked below. My parent's have birch slab cabinets as well (their house was built in '63), and I think it can carry many styles well.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Karin_mt's kitchen

o

Slab doors and drawers in maple, birch or select oak with a good stain finish seems a possibility here.

Have you looked at the many semi-custom and custom cabinet makers who now produce what is called exotic veneer finish in a slab door? Kind of like what Coco Chanel reproduced in her kitchen, or at least part of it? It's a nice look for the right kitchen.

o

Thank you for your tips! I am looking for something more darker than that with possibly white quartz counter tops and green but not glass subway tile.
I am meeting with a cabinet maker this week-end. I see a lot of people on houzz do cherry with stain for slab doors - we'll see this Sat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here