Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

Reno. Is. Done. Kitchen reveal at long last!

phiwwy
11 years ago

Demo started last April. The last screw went in about 2 weeks ago. The trauma has subsided a bit, hence I was able to get it together and post pix of the baths.

Master bath:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0312293027171.html

Other baths:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0312481917657.html

And now for the kitchen!

Our little bar area:

Where we keep the dog food:

The view into the family room, now open to the kitchen (oh now how to furnish that room?!?)

the microwave hiding spot (garage door/pocket door):

Pantry - just 12" deep

Mudroom - widened by about 1 foot:

Mudroom bench

Here's some general info:
Granite - Bianco Antico
Tile backsplash - Red Rock 2x8 in Twig
Hood - Modernaire in Oil rubbed bronze with blackened steel accents
Lights - Hudson Valley Garrison (bronze) and Winfield pendants (bronze)
Faucets - Rohl
Knobs - colonial bronze in pewter and brushed nickel, pulls Omnia brushed nickel, and mudroom pulls/knobs Emtek in bronze.

Thanks to the many GWers who helped me address and navigate the issues as they arose. I only wish I'd discovered GW when I was going through the design! But we love it and it's incredibly functional.

Comments (64)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks fantastic! I love the dark backsplash.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Phylhl- Congrats on finishing, you must be thrilled with your new space. That backsplash looks amazing in the close up shot next to your gorgeous hood - I'd call that a magazine worthy photo op! Congrats and best wishes for many years of happy cooking and entertaining.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

That looks GREAT !!!

I love it all! The BS turned out great! And the hood! Of course the BA! I'm running out of exclamation points, so I'll stop.

!

:D Bee

• anitamo
    11 years ago

It is all so perfect! I love how your pooch is waiting at the door with his leash saying, "Enough with the pictures, take me out." lol. You've done an inspring remodel. Enjoy.

• homebuyer23
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! LOVE that backsplash! Ad I'm jealous of your mudroom...enjoy!

• seosmp
    11 years ago

It's really beautiful! May I ask a few questions?

What is the stain color on the island?

What is the stain color on the floor?

What is the edge type on the island granite and on the other counter?

How tall are the cabinets in the bar area?

These look to be similar to what I'm planning for my kitchen remodel (to start this spring).

Thanks!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Your dog is such a good dog!

I think the warm tiled backsplash is wonderful. I love the nice contrast. It is strong yet not overwhelming. You have a perfect balance. I bet DH really likes it too. Bravo!

With regards to your family room. It is a nice start. I love what you have in there. It just looks like you haven't completely moved in yet. I don't know what you have in mind, but working with the accessories is probably all that is needed. But I'm no decorator, it is the hardest part for me. Window treatment, stuffed chair, art, larger rug with colors to tie it all together?

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is really nice!.

May I ask what color is the paint on the walls surrounding the door with the B&W dog calendar hanging on it? I'm on a hunt for greens, or green- reading grays. They are tricky things, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not really a green - just looks like one.

Thank you!

L.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much! GW and GWers have been such a tremendous help through this whole process. Only wish I'd found it during the design phase..

OK some answers - yes the dog is a Springer, he's very spoiled but is a really good boy. He's very glad the reno is done and that the color scheme is to his liking.

The paint color is BM Revere Pewter.

The island is cherry with an espresso stain.

The floors are Minwax Jacobean. So is the stair handrail, but about 4 coats of the same stain.

The edge on the island and TV cab granite is ogee (single). the perimeter is an eased edge.

The glass cabs to the very top of the crown are about 8 1/2 feet. My ceilings are 7 1/2' everywhere else.

The mudroom is 5 1/2' wide (where the bench is) and 4' to the front of the closet.

The fan with the Modernaire hood is a Fantech inline blower. We were going to use a wall mounted remote but the inline was cheaper. it's a bit loud though.

thanks again!

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

gorgeous. What brand and paint color are these cabinets? Did I miss that?

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

congrats phylh,
    that is stunning! there is so much to love! i love your backsplash tile, the vent hood is beautiful and such a unique color, the mudroom bench also is great.
    one question, i am also using a fantech inline blower. now i am worried it will be loud too.. did you use a silencer with your setup?

• jentrex
    11 years ago

Whoa - love that backsplash! and everything else.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Phylh, what a beautiful kitchen! And that backsplash - wow - like icing on the cake!

It's been a long year hasn't it? So glad it has all come to a happy end!

• flwrs_n_co
    11 years ago

Love it all! BS, countertops, dog food storage and feeding areas, cabs, everything! And all so organized and functional. Congratulations!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Everything is fabulous!! Love all the storage, the ORB range hood, the BS!

• annettacm
    11 years ago

LOVE!!! I even called my 12 year old daughter over here to see (and she doesn't care about any of this).... just to share the beauty! :) The backsplash is my favorite part!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

What a fun kitchen! Looks great and functional as well. I bet that Springer knows where his food lives!
    Now for some KIA pictures to go with this lovely kitchen!
    Enjoy!

• annettacm
    11 years ago

I looked thru the posts, but didn't see... what is that backsplash tile?

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

It's all fabulous but I'm totally head over heels on your b/s choice. In all my time on this board I never heard of them so thanks for that! I went to their website and their stuff looks beautiful. It's says their field tile is around $20 a sq.ft. I dont' know if that's the lowest end and it goes up according to glaze/size options... but it's worth checking out. For anyone else interested... link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Rock tile

• annettacm
    11 years ago

Oh, duh... after remodelfla's post, I scrolled back and looked again... staring me right in the face. Don't know how I missed that the first two times. Must have been in a daze from the beautiful pictures. :)

• rkb21
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!!

Quick question...how deep is your overhang on your island? We have some space issues and I'm trying to figure that out now for ours.

Must be great to finally have it all done :)

• rkb21
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!!

Quick question...how deep is your overhang on your island? We have some space issues and I'm trying to figure that out now for ours.

Must be great to finally have it all done :)

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Wow! l. So many well coordinated, organized, functional and last but not least....beautiful spaces! That backsplash is killer, the first dark one I can recall being drawn to. And your pendants look great and probably even better when on.
    I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

I too would like white cabs this time around and am interested in what everyone used and chose for construction.
    Can you please tell me who made your cabinets?
    Are the doors maple, maple with a MDF recessed panel or ?
    What is the box constructed of?
    What paint and color did you used for your cabinets?
    What paint and color is your trim?
    You mentioned BM Revere Pewter; is that the color of your family room walls? Love it!
    Your floors are beautiful, what species of wood?
    You mentioned most of your walls are 7 1/2' tall, including your family room? They look so much taller.

Thank you for posting and taking the time to fill us in on all the details!

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

GREAT JOB! Everything looks so good.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen you have! I love your pendants. You are blessed to have so much counter space (and gorgeous).

Do you find your 12" pantry gives you ample storage? I ask because I am having difficulty in planning enough storage in my smallish kitchen. Any info about your pantry would be appreciated.

Enjoy your lovely kitchen. You did GOOD!!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

Wow, it looks like pictures out of a home magazine! Beautiful!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again!! Let me answer what i can off the top of my head:

no silencer with the fantech

Red oak floors from home depot

Local cabinet company, manuf in canada, cloud white paint but they dont disclose the paint brand
    My other trim is BM super white

Yes revere pweter is in family room too

Cabs are wood maple i think. Wood grain melamine interiors,

I dont know how to describe drawer construction. Those are a few details i decided then moved right on.

Did i answer everything?
    Thanks!!!

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen..
    and your dog : )

• rikerk
    11 years ago

what is the distance between your island sink setup and the range wall directly behind it? Just curious as I am considering moving my dishwasher & main sink to my island.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The distance between the range and counter in front of the sink is 36". The rest of the perimeter distance is 38 1/2" counter to counter. It actually was supposed to be 42", but what with the KD measuring from cabinet face to cabinet face, not accounting for the range that juts out, the counter overhang - that distance really shrunk quickly. It's fine most of the time, but when the dishwasher is open it's a little tight. But it's totally worth it to have the main sink and DW on the island. Having the prep sink out of the way cuts down on any congestion.

If you're tight on space, get the range with the knobs on top. I really should have gotten that version, because we do bump into the knobs frequently.

The counter overhang on the island, to get back to that question, is 2" from the base, or 1" from the detail molding that's right under the counter. The overhang on the perimeter cabs is 3/4", measured from the face of the drawer. I kept it as minimal as I possibly could due to the space between the island and perimeter.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

So fabulous! I love it all. The backsplash just makes the whole kitchen "pop"! You've done such an inspiring job, thanks for sharing! Enjoy your gorgeous new kitchen with your darling (and lucky) pooch!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thank you for answering all my questions.

I keep coming back to your beautiful kitchen and discovering more. I don't have a pet, but love how you incorporate doggy space.

You really used every nook and cranny. That slim space next to your sink and just spotted the slim upper cab to the left of your glass cab. What do you use that for? Do tell! How wide are those narrow cabs?

And no detail left undone. Love how you added the door style details to the partially exposed sides of the upper cabs flanking your sink. Nice.

Your panty area is to die for and I'll say it again so is your backsplash which is exquisite! Can you tell me, was that backsplash pattern difficult to install? Where did they start laying down the tile?

I have a kitchen and 2 baths to remodel and would love that tile somewhere. I'm not a DIYer, but still worry that even an experienced tile layer could have difficulty with that pattern...or maybe it's just my un-mathematical brain that can't fathom that. I envision the mess it could be if not done absolutely perfectly.

Thanks again for the info.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much!

Those slim spaces were mistakes by KD - but they worked out fine. The upper holds a RevaShelf spice pullout for the oft-used ones. The lower one has turned out to be perfect for cutting boards, a spot I highly recommend incorporating into one's kitchen.

The upper cabs - the one to the right of the stove is 28" (and had I known an extra 4" would be "found", I would rather have those 4" added to the larger cabinet.

The glass front uppers are 24" - just wide enough for 2 stacks of dishes. If those were slightly wider, I could put away my dinner plates without opening both doors. Something to consider although a very minor detail, one that I never would have thought of in the planning process.

And the backsplash pattern - fortunately the tile salesperson came to my house to voice his opinion on the color, size and pattern and concurred that this was the way to go. He traced out the pattern above the range and showed me that the center line could be either in the center of a tile the long 8" way, or the center of the short end. In tracing out the pattern, we found the precise way to start, to avoid small triangles beside the cabs that flank the hood.

Then I asked for the most anal team of tile installers from the company I've used before and not only did he assign them to the job, but both the owner and his project manager came to dry lay out about 6 sq ft of the pattern. They recommended how the tile would start at the counter, and showed me the angles, center line of the range/hood, etc then went to work. It's a lot of cuts and I used this company because they have done this pattern many times before. Had we not fired our original GC, I'm sure I never would have had this pattern. Plus a fellow GWer (I forget who now) sent me a bunch of in-progress photos from hers which helped me understand many of the potential issues with this pattern. It's worth the effort if you love the herringbone pattern though!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Ahhh I see. I went semicustom last time and have a couple of fill areas between cabs. Don't know if they're as wide as 4", will check when I get home, but when I first saw your narrow ones I thought dang why didn't I know about that! Want to use every inch this time around.

Thank you so much for he additional tile install info. Very helpful and will keep all of that in mind if I go that route. How cool that your salesperson was so knowledgeable AND was willing to come to your home. Can you please tell me where you purchased your tile?

I've also posted to your threads in the bath forum. They're all beautiful. Did you used the same designer and construction team for kitchen and baths? Did you work on all at the same time? How long were did it take from demo to completion of all?

We're planning to redo or kitchen and 2 of our 3 baths. I think it's more economical to do it all at once, but not sure if tearing up that much space at a time would drive me insane. We're not moving any walls or changing location of the fixtures in either bath, but will have to move out of the master bedroom and closet. And my husband works from home. That should be interesting. I think he'll have to set up office in the library or Starbucks and Panera from time to time! :>)

Sorry I'm bombarding you with so many questions, but I love your style!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first 2 baths (powder and guest) were done at the same time, by a great tile installer. I handled the electrician, they provided the plumber.

The kitchen and other 2 baths were done most recently. Due to many GC errors and replacing him and his subs, it took about 10 months. We were without a kitchen for 6 months. No real designer, but got a lot of design help from the salesperson from whom I purchased 90% of my fixtures, lighting etc.
    The backsplash tile was Red Rock, purchased from a small boutique shop. I love that tile more every day.

The best advice I can give about tearing up that much all at once is to have a serious talk w/ your GC - make sure he properly seals off everything, buy yourself some air purifiers from Home Depot for your side of the barriers, and discuss the noise level of radios, etc. Make sure he agrees to plastic off everything, and allow you to check it before he demos one thing. And have your cleaning person if you have one come on Fridays so you will have some sanity on the weekends.

• enduring
    11 years ago

That was me phylhl - with the process herringbone photos:) Yours is GORGEOUS!!!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Phylhl- thanks for the additional info. I go back and forth about splitting it up or all at once, drag it out or rip off the Band-Aid. Not sure. GREAT idea about the air purifiers.

Enduring- can you please provide a link to the info you shared with Phylhl regarding the herringbone?

Thanks!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, enduring - that was supremely helpful!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Island, I created a post for you with your name on it :) and it is called this:
    Island, here is some info on my herringbone installation in 2011.

Here is a link that might be useful: Island, here is some info on my herringbone installation in 2011.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Amazing backsplash. You have a well-developed sense of style to be able to see that would work so well with your bianco antico. And while they are not the immediate showstoppers, the pendants, hood and rustic wood floor work together to make the room look warm and inviting.

• Lindsayday
    11 years ago

Phylhl,

I am the tilemaker that made your beautiful backsplash!!!

This is so wonderful to see! We work so hard to make our tile and we rarely ever get to see it installed so this is such a treat!! I really love #C47 Twig Crackle because it is a beautiful gray shade that can swing between a cooler gray and a warmer brown gray. These photoâÂÂs display it beautifully and I love the herringbone installation!

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindsay - so nice to hear from you! You've undoubtedly read how everyone loves your tile, including, of course me! It's just stunning and it cleans really well too. I may as well ask now - what is the best product to use to clean the small grease spots behind the range? And how often should I seal it?

There are a few threads on this forum where people are looking for backsplash ideas, I'll bet you can be of some help.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Oh Wow, I emailed Red Rock to see if there was anyone in my area that carried the tile when I didn't see any contacts on their website. I included the link to this thread so they could see the inspiration for my inquiry....phylhl's awesome herringbone splash!

Got a very nice email back from Lindsay and as she mentioned here she was excited to see the tile in action. She's so right about the color too! Happy to see you checked out this thread Lindsay!

Unfortunately no one carries it in San Diego, but will be worth the drive to Laguna Niguel to check it out.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Beautiful job on everything! The mudroom is awesome, too. Did that poor dawg wait for a walk through the whole remodel? What a good pooch! Your kitchen is lovely.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Yes yes yes....love that color of backsplash! It's beautiful!! Really lovely. I adore the dog in the mudroom too :)

• Lindsayday
    11 years ago

Phylhl,

Ceramic tile is a relatively maintenance-free product that requires little continuing care beyond regular cleaning. Most cleaning can be done with a damp cloth and a gentle non-acidic soap. More resistant staining such as calcium spotting and soap scum can be handled using specially designed cleaning products such as Miracle Sealants Mira Clean I product. Other manufacturers such as Stone Tech also offer products specially formulated for ceramic tile care. Take care to avoid âÂÂover the counterâ ceramic tile cleaners that contain phosphoric and glycolic acids that could etch some ceramic tile surfaces.

Because crackle glazes are prone to absorbing stains, you may want to consider using a penetrating sealer. In areas that experience regular moisture, such as showers, resealing crackle glazes is a necessary maintenance procedure but for a kitchen backsplash, not completely necessary. If you don't seal the tile the crackles will darken over time giving it an antique type look. Some people love this, it is just up to you on what you want to do. Using a sealer does not affect the quality or appearance of the tile, just make sure you don't use too much or the sealer will leave a film on the surface. I would recommend sealing once a year just as you would with your stone counter tops.

Thank you again for sharing and I hope this helps!
    Lindsay

• kateshome
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!! Such attention to detail makes for a beautiful space! Good job!

• amh615
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Can you tell me the manufacturer/style # of your mudroom door. We are adding a narrow mudroom at one end of the kitchen and need to replace a slider with a similar door, and yours looks perfect. Any info would be helpful.

• phiwwy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I seem to recall it was a BROSCO/Simpson door. I got it through National Lumber, it's solid wood and I wanted 12 lites. There is only 1-2 options so try that. Love the door, it's really pretty, solid and don't need a storm door which is fantastic since we put lever handles on it.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996