Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

Lighting for open shelves

arlosmom
10 years ago

I haven't been on this forum for quite a while. We finished our kitchen about 5 years ago and I found gardenweb to be an invaluable source of information and help. I love my current kitchen.

We're now under contract to buy a new-to-us house and I'm starting to gather information for a kitchen refresh. The new kitchen has birch Ikea cabinets, lots of counter space, good appliances, and a layout that I like a lot. I won't mess with the lower cabinets or the countertop, but I don't like the upper cabinets that are in there now.

There are 4 upper cabinets, and I'm leaning toward replacing 2 of them with open shelving/floating shelves. I love the look and convenience and I think it will work well in the space. What I don't know is what kind of task lighting works with open shelves. Any suggestions? Do I use puck lights? I wan't crazy about the ones I had in a previous kitchen, but those were from Home Depot so they were probably crap. I'd love to hear what others with open shelves have done. Pictures would be appreciated!

I'm very excited about the new house, and I'm excited to have a kitchen that needs tinkering with again. I've missed the kitchen forum!

Comments (9)

• Evan
    10 years ago

I would use tape lights. Armacost makes some, also Kichler. I'm sure there are others. They are very thin and low profile. You can just stick them to the underside of the shelves, and they can be cut about every 2 inches, which makes them easy to customize. They give nice even light unlike the pools of light from pucks.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks edb2n. I took a look at Armacost's website and the lights look pretty good. I like how low profile they are. I haven't checked out Kichler yet. Have you seen any of these in person? I'm wondering how bright the light is that they put off.

I welcome any other suggestions as well. Thanks again!

• Evan
    10 years ago

Kichler has a low output and a high output. I saw both in the lighting showroom. The high output is VERY bright. Would be good for task lighting. If you just want accent lighting, the low would be good. The Kichler were very expensive, though. Armacost is more reasonable. They have 3 light levels.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll try to see these in person. They sound like a very good option for task lighting. Thanks so much for the info.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I used tape lights from inspiredled. They'll do up a plan for you, cut lights to custom lengths, and the installation isn't bad for a diyer. I think environmental lights.com has similar products and a good reputation. Inspiredled doesn't provide a lumens/foot calculation but the lights seem bright enough to me. I used the warm white ultra bright and it is not super candlelight warm, more like a medium incandescent bulb. The cool white would not be for me.

(Ps I used your costco corner solution...thanks!)

• User
    10 years ago

Use the Hafele tape lights in the aluminum snap in tracks with diffusers.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

robotropolis, you're very welcome! Blind corner options aren't the best, but I'm glad my solution helped you.

I'm really liking the idea of these tape lights. I had never heard of them before, so I'm really glad for the insight from all of you. Now I have several manufacturers to look at and compare.

• Evan
    10 years ago

Home Depot carries the Armacost brand in some stores. But the Armacost website has a lot more selection for lengths, light temperature, and brightness.

We tried to use the Armacost for our undercabinet lighting. It looked great, provided perfect even light, and was easy to put in. But we didn't like the reflection on the granite. Instead of relecting pools of light like from pucks you saw a line of little light dots all the way down the countertop. My wife didn't like that. That might not bother some people, and if your counters aren't shiny it won't be an issue.

• smiling
    10 years ago

Watch out for Inspired LED, and have your own electrician double check their design for lights, transformers, and dimmers. My neighbor bought from them and they are still trying to make the lights work without flickering. All the savings, and more, were lost in the hours that the electrician's meter ran while he tried to salvage their system. Apparently Inspired is still working with my friend to help and they might still get working lights. Just a head's up...