Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfire

Show me your SS chimney hood vent with flue extensions, pls

cfire
13 years ago

Hi everyone! You don't know me, but I feel like I know you. And, I seriously need your help.

I have been following this kitchen forum since we decided to undertake a kitchen reno last summer. (And, if this has posted somewhere other than the kitchen forum, pls excuse me) In fact, our inspiration kitchen is Jodi_in-so_california's (cherry cabs, black pearl granite counters, stainless appliances and that gorgeous fire and ice tile backsplash she brought to everyone's attention!)

Without your even knowing it, you have been helpful and supportive. I am truly grateful for the forum (and Starpooh's FKB!) and all of you who contribute. But, I'm kinda shy when it comes to postings, which is why you haven't heard from me, though there have been many times I've wanted to...so you can imagine how much this hood vent issue I'm having is bothering me to venture out in the open like this!

Our vision was that the chimney vent along with the backsplash would make that wall the focal point of the kitchen. Our ceiling is vaulted, which is why the flue extension is necessary.

We had decided on the Broan Chimney Range Hood Model #B5630SS because I loved the beautiful curved glass canopy and sleek stainless vent and because it met the 'under 500 cfm' requirement my contractor gave me. (http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100656)

When the carpenter first installed it (in early January!! But I'm going to spare you all of the frustration, angst and irritation of the comedy of errors that has transpired from then till now), it just didn't look right. The lower flue bowed out just ever so slightly to cause the light to bend/break when looking at it from any angle.

I realized there would be a seam where the upper flue extension fit into the lower flue, of course, cause I could see it in the picture. But, the two pieces just didn't fit closely and looked terrible. The carpenters (father/son) just shook their shoulders and said that's how it is.

So, I called Broan and spoke with tech support. They said it sounded like one or both of the pieces had been bent. They are very, very thin, and delicate. He said the seam is visible, but the upper and lower flues should be flat and flush against each other. They sent us another full set of flues and the extension at no cost.

The carpenters are sked to re-install it on Wed. And, while I am hoping for the best, I want to be mentally prepared for the worst. I am hoping that the flues will fit well enough so that looking at it there isn't a waviness accentuated by the light reflected in it. I had just assumed this was possible until a few days ago when in desperation I found a pic of someone else's Broan B5630SS, and it looks the way ours did when first installed... except that our vent is just 30" above the cooktop and the extension is several feet longer. Here's the link http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg071632067986.html?9

So, please, tell me, is it possible for the flue and extension to look flat, straight and sleek... or is what you see in the picture as good as it gets? If you have a great looking stainless steel vent + extension, please post pics so I can see. And, once I figure out how to post pics, I'll do the same.

Whew... it at least feels good to get this off my chest. If you've read till the end, thanks for your time and patience. I am looking forward to sharing all the cool things about my kitchen once this drama has ended.

Comments (9)

• sue_b
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a Vent-a-Hood. My Kitchen Designer noted the price of the hood extension and suggested she order it from a sheet metal fabricator instead and basically found a local sheet metal fabricator in the yellow pages. It was about half the price of the part from Vent-a-Hood. We have a vaulted ceiling too but the hood runs in to a soffit. Good luck on Wednesday and if ordering a piece from a sheet metal fabricator helps you or someone else, I'm glad.

• cfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If this turns out to be a double post, pls excuse me. I had posted a response, Sue_b, but don't see it despite refreshing and opening a new browser.

Love your kitchen. The vent looks great. Whaddya know.. Our kitchens are similar in layout and we have skylights in the same place, too.

I had asked my contractor about a custom fabricated piece, but he said the cost would be outrageous. I am hopeful, now, after hearing your story. I will check into it on Monday. That would be the best solution, no doubt.

Do you have any idea how long it takes for a custom piece to be made?

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

We also used a metal fabricator to make our faux chimney. It is about 5-6' tall and took only a couple days to make. Very reasonable cost, too.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

ok, sue & kiffgirl what BEAUTIFUL hood vents you have!
    for awhile i was considering the "wood" hoods but i think i prefer seeing the ss , vs the wood.

(i think)having the "wood" in my kitchen would have been a little overkill anyway with the hd floors, wood cabs etc...

• cfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, Kiffgirl... that is gorgeous! That's exactly the look I am seeking. I am very happy to know this is an affordable and doable option, now. At the same time, my blood pressure is rising as I think back to the conversations I've had with my contractor.

Thank you, and thank you sue_b for sharing your info and pics. I was hoping the forum could help and ya'll came through... fast, too. ;)

Am I wrong to be angry at the contractor for misleading me about this?

Either way, I am looking forward to it all being done so I can get this sour taste out of my mouth.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Cfire,

Yes, I believe they should line up and look as smooth as
    possible. It is not one piece so within reason.
    hope these pictures help.
    ~boxer

Is it any more noticable than this broan image below?

Ken Mason Backsplash

Abbakab

Paoli Blue Bell Kitchens

Bob Villa

Golden Lighting Granite image

NVG backsplash ideas

Gutmann

Broan Elite series

Zaveloff

Kitchen Clarity

• cfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, I am thrilled to hear from you. I so appreciate your taking the time to research pics for me. It is MUCH more noticeable than the Broan pic you shared. I would be very happy if it were to look like any of the samples you posted.

I'm also glad for the encouragement that it's possible to have the two pieces smooth and flat -- I swear talking to the contractor and carpenters made me feel like I was going crazy... as if my expectations were outrageously high. They insist that the pieces aren't manufactured properly, whereas the tech support team said they have received zero complaints of this type about this vent, with the caveat that the pieces are very easily bent. I don't know who/what to believe.

Ahhh... this too shall pass. And, at some point it will all be done to my satisfaction.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Just a piece of helpful informantion I hope. If you nee help finding a reputable sheet metal fabricator, call your local fireplace store. They will most likely have a few good resources as they order custom sheet metal products on a regular basis.

• cfire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much, Michellemarie. That is helpful and as it turns out, a very timely suggestion. I have spoken with several fabricators. But now, given the newest wrinkle in my saga, I'm not sure I trust myself to pick a reputable one. :)