Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dando_gw

Copper countertop update (pic)

Dando
12 years ago

No dings, no dents. (looks like it in the photo, but, really....no whammies)

That's one of the 8ft sections. Off to the other 8ft section right now.

It's a shame that I don't need root canal. I think I'd prefer that right now. LOL!

Comments (34)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, wow.
    How magnificent.
    Each ding would be a ding on my heart, but you can't argue with the beautiful patina it'll develop.
    What a gorgeous kitchen you'll have!

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Really nice! can't wait to see it finished!!!

• ucgal
    12 years ago

Nice!

• tubeman
    12 years ago

Stunning!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Oh, be still my beating heart! (Well, don't be completely still, but you get my drift.) Lovely! You have done very well!!!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

One of my favorite metals! Just beautiful.........

Copper outlet covers would be great too?

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Just BEAUTIFUL!! I can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Yum! And please don't fear the dings. They all blend together after a while and soon you'll embrace them happily. Copper's a soft metal and you can't expect it to perform like stainless steel (nor, I think, do you want it to, having so delightfully chosen copper.) DIY?

3.5 years and going strong, even with dings:

• meggswife
    12 years ago

So beautiful! I actually prefer it more worn... thanks for the photo Circuspeanut.

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Wow, those are both gorgeous, love them!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Love the copper! Shiny new and three years they both look great!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Oooohhhh!!!! Aaaaahhhh!!!! Nice, nice!

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Circuspeanut: Can you just instantly give me a year so my countertop looks like yours? That's the look I want, and I just can't wait!!! LOL.
    OH, the outlet covers ARE copper.
    One little section to go, later today. YEA!!!
    2nd photo: Homemade tools of the trade...LOL!

• springroz
    12 years ago

I have always LOVED copper!! I had it in my previous kitchen as accents.

Our friends DIY a copper bar in the guest house that is gorgeous like yours and circuspeanut's!!

Can't wait to see the final,because the cabinets look beautiful, too!!

• bumble_doodle
    12 years ago

Dando, could you please show more pics of your cabinets? I have the exact same thing (stained) and have been trying to get up the nerve to paint them. I LOVE the color of your cabs and the countertop is stunning!

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bumble doodle: Okay, here ya go. Kinda worried about the black nickel hinges and knobs. (maybe they should be copper colored, but, if those were copper....then the faucets would have to be copper...then the "everything" else would also).
    I think it'd be TOO MUCH. I'm counting on the countertop to be the "splash". If I change the hinges/knobs, it might take something away? Besides, there will be stainless in there also...just not possible to keep going with copper.
    THOUGHTS??? Are those okay, or should I consider changing the hinges and knobs?

• bumble_doodle
    12 years ago

WOW, Looks great, Dando! Would you mind sharing the paint color? I like the black hardware too! I think if you switched it to copper then it would take away from the impact of those stunning countertops.

I'm heading to the airport in a couple of minutes but I'm hoping to follow this thread while I'm away. LOVE where this is going!!!

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pittsburgh Paints, semi-gloss oil. (96293 Old Mill)
    We can still get oil here. I use oil on trim and cabinets IF they are a dark color.
    I also accidentally painted some of the trim last night with Valspar Curry Green. Wondered what happenned today when I put newly painted trim up, beside older painted trim.
    It was just a shade darker. BUT, it was SO close.
    (then I remembered one of the bedrooms is Curry Green.)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Dando, since a DIY copper counter is on my bucket list, will you share details of how you are doing it? The homemade tools look very intriguing!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Wow that's beautiful. Sorry to be unimaginative, but I actively like the dark hardware, better, I think, than I would copper. That would just be too precious I think. Copper is decidedly not-precious.

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The 1st picture I posted, it looks brown. (camera I guess?)
    The others look "copper". That's about what it looked like after installation.
    THIS photo (with cooktop back in place). Cruddy cell phone picture. I'll try to do better tomorrow.
    BUT, this is after my so-called polishing with sandpaper and steel wool. For a billion tiny scratches, it's fairly shiney. Notice the reflection of the wall outlet on the right side. I'm calling my polishing job.. "good enough for who it's for", and "a good place for it begin it's life"

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow. What a job you have tackled, and it looks spectacular. Yay copper! I like the dark knobs too. The copper and green are fantastic together.
    Renee

• enduring
    12 years ago

Great job, thanks so much for sharing your project. It is beautiful. I think the existing hinges and knobs are fine, I would live with them a while before making any changes. I have a brass door knob on one of my doors and a black iron on another, I like the mixture. Maybe someday, but today each door has it's own personality.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I like the dark hinges, and I am completely impressed with your counter. Gorgeous.

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

Absolutely amazing! So beautiful and original.

• eleena
    12 years ago

Amazing! I am totally inspired! Love the hardware too.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

Stunning!!!!

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here, let me make everybody CRINGE. lol!
    Had some issues with the oven when it arrived last week. But, nothing a little bit of body and paint work couldn't remedy.
    Thus explaining the BRAVE decision of a color choice for the upper door.
    Am I going to have to re-paint it black?

• TracyO
    12 years ago

I love it!! Oh my gosh don't go back to black. I'm jealous of your bravery. Totally works.

• eleena
    12 years ago

What is that thing on the wall above your cooktop, if you don't mind me asking? It might be just the picture, but it doesn't seem to work with the appliances. I might be wrong though...

• Dando
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Copper wash tub lid.
    It "should" work with the furniture and other "decor", and the copper countertop when it starts changing colors.
    AND...it may not be in it's final resting place either. Won't know for sure until we get everything else...here and there.

• eleena
    12 years ago

Oh, I see. :-)

I sort of liked it on the first pix, before seeing the wall appliances, but now it feels like "too much of a good thing" to me. If it were my kitchen, I'd want the copper coutertops "stand out" by themselves, I think. But I am not an expert. :-)

• zeebee
    12 years ago

Your countertops are lovely.

And don't go back to black!