Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with existing trim

Posted by apinksweater (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:06

So while I am working on the reconfiguring of my kitchen, I thought of something I wanted to ask the great minds of garden web.

Formerly, I had the golden oak cabinets, which I painted two tone ( Uppers BM Cloud White, lowers stained with General Finishes Java- thats a different thread eventually)

Anywho, Im looking at my window bay, and my sliding doors and the golden oak surrounds are bothering me.

Paint or not to paint, this is the question�

Thoughts?

**Update** Ive already primed the kitchen bay window, and am waiting to give it a sanding before painting it the cloud white. Wow! It really opens up the room!! It enhances the light!

In any event, I currently need to paint the entire kitchen, and I am trying to figure out what colors I like best for a two tone kitchen. Attached you will find the color my DH picked (he really wants blue green for some reason) BM Largo Teal.

Here is the current color, Laurel Leaf by Behr (when cabinets were golden oak
 photo IMG_1540.jpg

The soffit above- (its a stencil, not wallpaper). I don't know if a dark color will work…

photo IMG_1541.jpg

The largo teal against the BM Cloud White
 photo IMG_1542.jpg

and the teal against the darker lowers
 photo IMG_1543.jpg

To dark? Other options? My kitchen is always very, very bright due to the windows and the sliding door, so I thought I may be able to get away with a dark color…

Thanks!!!

This post was edited by apinksweater on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 14:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with existing trim

Hmm.
I think I'd trying staining one area, first.
Sometimes dark woodwork can look absolutely beautiful.
Given the Golden Oak color, though, you probably have smaller, builder grade trim. (I hope not.) In which case, painting might be your best bet right from the start.

If anything, do paint. BM's Cloud white is so much prettier than any Golden Oak, IMHO.
got pics?

o

photo photo1.jpg

and

Window photo photo2.jpg

Sorry- its not taking pictures well because its noon here, and very, very bright

This post was edited by apinksweater on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:18

o

I'd do the BM Could to go with the uppers.

o

BM Cloud would be my choice too

o

I would paint them the same color as the cabinets since they butt right up against them.

o

Bumping for the new info! :)

o

The paint color looks so different just between your two pictures. No one here can tell you how it'll look on the wall. I'd say get some posterboard and cut it to fit between your counter and cabinets, and paint it with your proposed color to see what you think. Or, if you can get a good shot of a larger amount of your kitchen from further away, perhaps someone here (or over on Home Decorating) can help you envision some different color options using Photoshop.

o

You might also want to start a new thread with a different title ("what color to paint kitchen?" or something), because a different set of users might hop into a thread like that who won't see this one due to its current title.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here