Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucybear05_gw

Hardware - Preventing Damage to Walls and Gables

Lucybear05
11 years ago

We are in the final stages of our home construction (about 2 weeks to possession hurrah!) and have run into a snag of sorts in our kitchen. Our home, including kitchen, is quite modern and minimalist. Because of this, every here and there I have opted for something a bit stand-out or ornamental, to relieve from all the plain, clean lines everywhere. Well, our kitchen handles are one of these things. I have picked out quite large handles. They are 1.4" deep (ie. they stick out 1.4" from the cabinet) and they are 9.5" wide. In case anybody cares, they are by Hettich, and are called the "Nubia", and can be found with google in 5 seconds.

We don't have a lot of upper cabinetry to concern ourselves with, because some of our upper cabinetry is flip-up, so the handle isn't ever going to come into contact with anything.

However, we have two sets of double doors, one on either side of our range/oven. We also have one conventional cabinet door to the right of our fridge. One of each of the sets of double doors (the outside door in each case) opens onto a stub wall. The cabinet right beside the fridge opens onto the gable beside the fridge.

I am very concerned about damage to my walls and the gable. How do people deal with this? I can just see that within 2 months of moving in the handles are going to have banged up the walls and the gable.

In respect of the gable, our cabinetry guy suggested we reverse the swing. But I think that will be fully annoying. And we can't do this where the double doors open on each side of the range...

HELP!

Comments (5)