Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

Our 1960's Frigidaire Flair

coffeebreak
13 years ago

Just for fun... I thought I would post a few shots of the current oven/stove that is in our 1960's condo that we are going to remodel. It is called a Custom Imperial Frigidaire Flair. There was a movie that came out in 1999 called Blast From The Past. Well, whenever friends or family see this movie, we get a call. "We saw your oven!" LOL

This is the Flair. This model sits on top of cabinetry, however, some came with their own base cabinet.

So... if you are wondering where the stove is... you pull it out!

Amazingly, this appliance still works great! Unfortunately, the Flair will not remain after the remodel. :(

Comments (30)

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

It's awesome!

• plllog
    13 years ago

We've discussed this several times before! You actually have one?? I hope you'll uninstall it carefully and pass it on to a new good home. It's also in Bewitched (the original TV series), BTW.

• prill
    13 years ago

I agree, I'm sure someone (or a lot of someone's) would love to have that.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I almost bought a house that had a Flair. There is definitely a market for it. Uninstall it and its matching hood very carefully and post it on Craigslist and/or ebay.

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to add a little context...this is a stacked condo with a unit above and a unit below. The kitchen is approximately 9'x 8' and can be completely closed off with doors. It has 1960's "state of the art" built in appliances like a Nutone can opener (that is the black rectangle on the wall, we pulled it out to see what was behind it), and a built in Nutone blender. There is a hole in the counter where the blender canister sits and another dial to control the power. And oh, by the way, the blender still works too!

We hope to be able to rehome the Flair and it's matching hood. :) Until recently, I had no idea it had such a following!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Oh wow, and in the Cinnamon finish, too. I think those are pretty rare.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I like her crown...maybe you'll find the one that came with yours in the wall during the reno.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

The house I grew up in had a range with the slide out burners like that. I'm not sure if the ovens are the same though. I remember seeing one in a house for sale a few years ago also.

• never_ending
    13 years ago

We had a Flair. It was my MIL's MIL's. Yes, the GIL's! It came with the house. It was a great concept and ours had the matching cinnamon cabinet base. The heating elements in the ovens started to go and it heated unevenly.
    The one drawback was it sat a few inches shorter than the standard range, so when my kids were toddlers it was scary to have them in the kitchen where little fingers could easily reach the burners. We switched it out about 5 years ago when my youngest was 5.

• jgopp
    13 years ago

Pretty sweet, I didn't know there was anyone left with one of these. I am frightened to even guess at how much of an energy hog this thing is!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

My daughter's friend bought a house that had a Flair. I had never seen one before that and I was around in the 60's. Your Flair is in much better shape though. I hope you are able to find someone who wants it.

• morgne
    13 years ago

You know, those things were extremely successful if only as a continual ad campaign.

How many other ovens/stoves/ranges do you see and instantly recognize?

• plllog
    13 years ago

There's a following for the Nu-Tone in counter thing. The mixer never was great, but the blender was, as well as the ice crusher. People are reconditioning these for motorhomes and the like. The accessories are where the big bucks are, but I'm sure a motor in good shape would find a great home if you put it on eBay.

• vitamins
    13 years ago

I had one of the Flair ranges, only mine was white not cinnamon color and it had the cabinet below. It was a great stove and I loved having both ovens at eye level. I bought mine second hand to replace the 40-inch stove that was in our house when we bought it. (I was familiar with the Flair as I had liked it when I worked in my grandfather's appliance store before I was married.) I had the Flair for probably about 20 years, but replaced it about 20 years ago when some things on it quit working. I wish I had had it repaired though, as I was never as happy with the replacement (a 30-inch GE with one oven above and other below), but the GE did serve me well and everything on it was still working when we had the kitchen demolished in January. I hope my new ovens and cook-top serve me as well as both the Flair and the GE did!

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Really cool!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Very cool! Yes, remove that very carefully, after photographing it in place. If you advertise in the right places (where retro-lovers hang) you will be able to get decent money for that, I reckon. It's the ''Bewitched'' range, after all.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

That is super cool! I am impressed that it is in such good condition.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Put it for sale on the retro renovation site for sale forum! Someone will snap it up and it won't cost you a thing to advertise it.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Would you consider keeping it? That really is a classic, gives you double ovens up high and storage below. If Wolf made that, the Appliance Forum would be melting with desire, you betcha. I wonder if you can have the cabinets built such that, if you later wish, the Flair and it's base cabinet can be removed for a conventional range.

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had no idea so many people knew about these ranges. Thank you for sharing your stories. It's funny what an appliance can conger up in our memories. We lived in this condo for over 10 years. I had never seen a range like this before. I just couldn't believe the whole pull the stove out thing. I am not much of a cook... but what little I have learned, I learned on that range. I remember trying to make my first batch of jam... sticky fruit burping in a big pot, jars boiling away in an even bigger pot... wondering if the whole stove was going to collapse on me. LOL It really says something about that range if even I couldn't kill it!

We found the original manual...but on our cover she doesn't have a crown! Maybe it is in the wall Beekeeperswife! :)

I didn't know about the retro renovation site. Thanks for mentioning it. We are going to try Craigslist first then see what happens. Johnliu, you are not too far off about the idea of keeping it. We did actually consider it. But removing it eventually outweighed keeping it.

I never thought about selling the Nu-Tone blender motor. Thanks for that idea!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

If you google around, tsdiver, there are quite a few sites devoted to the Flair, including some where you could offer it for sale, and some that will tell you where to get parts.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

You'll likely get a better price and fewer flakey calls on a site inhabited by retro geeks. Craigslist is for bottom fishers, everyone there wants a steal.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

i was chattering on so much about this last night that DH thought i wanted to buy it from you!

you have the original manual, too!

If Wolf made that, the Appliance Forum would be melting with desire, you betcha.

so true, johliu!

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

I've never seen an appliance as such. That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

If Frigidaire would redesign this model to meet today's energy sufficiency, it'd probably sell! It's a kitchen space saving appliance, don't you think?

• robinlee_softhome_net
    13 years ago

Hi,

My mother has a 1960 Frigidaire Flare stove that she adores, but now she needs a thermostate for it so her ovens will work at the right temperature. Do you know where I could find such an item ?
    Thanks,
    Robin

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

My aunt still has this stove as does my grandmother. Their houses were built probably in the 30's in a mill village. Both are still being used. Somehow I don't think my current Frigidaire "Professional" is going to last 70+ years.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh my that is soooo cool! It is in really good shape! I agree with selling it on one of those retro sites. It will be much loved and cared for!

I love that you have all those built-in Nu-Tones, too!

• Reilly Ramsey
    8 years ago

I have a 1961 single oven 4 pull out burners for sale. Please contact me at ramseyheike@yahoo.com

• Tracy Stout
    3 years ago

Just the opposite