Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My half-baked kitchen (cross post)

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

This is what happens when a colorphobe tries to branch out; a bit of craziness.

Since we bought our beachhouse last fall, I have sworn allegiance to, at times, a yellow fridge, a turquoise fridge, and finally a white fridge. Well, not quite finally.

Because I went and ordered a turquoise fridge. When you enter through the back door, the fridge is the first thing you see "across a crowded room" and I wanted it to telegraph "vacation". It sure does.

In the interim, I also killed off my Marmoleum floors in grey and white diamond. They may call it "white marble" but it is a peachy tan and it looked horrible in situ (partly perhaps because it is a bit of a dark, North-facing room.) I am now just having them paint the wooden floors off white.

So, in this photo, everything on the bottom half is a given; ordered and final. The top image shows a rough layout of the most important wall for the main part of the kitchen.

The question is, given the fridge, what color do I paint the two pieces (being custom made) that are denoted with blue arrows?

I had planned on Teresa's Green when I had a white fridge selected, but it is too dull up against the new fridge I chose.

I can't imagine repeating the fridge color, as that would be too much (i probably will repeat it by painting the back of the hutch to match, rather than use the spoon wallpaper ... spoon wallpaper will go in the butler's pantry cabs then).

There is some navy in the chairs, but won't that look like a black hole?

My next thought is grey, but what shade?

Thanks in advance.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (39)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

How about antiqued matte black? Or left black and right a medium toned wood?

• localeater
    10 years ago

I vote no to navy. Would you consider a pastel? I think a soft limey, chalky green would be lovely. If you want to go bold how about a coppery, clayey red maybe rubbed with black- like the ground in this image
    {{!gwi}}From GW Photos

• blfenton
    10 years ago

On the other post I had suggested mustard/yellow and I was thinking of the sort of colour in the strings of the above guitar. - perhaps a tich yellower.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Double post.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 13:46

• eam44
    10 years ago

You could paint them the creamy white of the range and tile.

• iroll_gw
    10 years ago

The color wheel theory says that red shades is the complimentary opposite of turquoise.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Favorite Color Combinations: Turquoise and Red[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/favorite-color-combinations-turquoise-and-red-stsetivw-vs~347002)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Too bad. I was going to say a slightly more muted color of the fridge...
    But if that's out, I'd go for a similar white as the range with turquoise somewhere else.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I'm really feeling the gold idea. Gold, turquoise and navy feels pretty beachy...plus you're not adding another color if you pick a gold close to the wood tones...

Of course, Kelly green, navy and turquoise is a nice preppy nautical combo...

• edeevee
    10 years ago

Did you pick a fabric for the sink yet?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robotropolis,
    Thanks for your ideas! I am not sure if a gold tone that is close to the wood tone will end up looking like a near miss?

Kelly green is a cool idea! I am thinking the green shutters on old white clapboard houses!

Nosoccermom,
    When i try to color match the fridge and the go paler, it looks baby bluish ...

Iroll, I have a total aversion to red; but could do coral ...

EAM44, i was trying to do something more interesting, since the floors and walls are also white ...

BL, fnb has cool color like that ---

Local, A coppery red would go very well, but it's not my kind of color. The pastels either look washed out next the fridge's intensity, or like Easter. It's a tough one!

• mkleparek
    10 years ago

How about using an apricot like color?

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

I am kinda digging the grey in that right-hand unit. It unifies the chairs and the range and sink, and flirts with the fridge. If you choose a medium grey with hints of blue, I think it will be fab.

What are your counters like? Will your sink be styled that way?

edeevee asked an excellent question: have you chosen a fabric for the sink? If you have not I would suggest a pattern that has small amounts of the exact hue (or as close as you can) as the fridge, and maybe some yellows and reds on a white or off-white background. It could be thing that pulls the whooole kitchen together.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Fabric something like a hybrid between these two but capturing that blue in the fridge as closely as you can:

edited to add: now I am second-guessing a busy pattern that would clash with your chairs. But it sure would be awesome to repeat that fridge color in a fabric for the sink.

This post was edited by greenhaven on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 23:20

• edeevee
    10 years ago

Maybe something like this fabric and buttery yellow on the cabinet pieces?

Here is a link that might be useful: Moda Fabrics

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

^^Ooh, I like! Maybe the fabric is a little TOO yellow for yellow cabs, but I love the idea of soft yellow cabs and fabric that includes all those colors. The chair fabric would look AWESOME against soft yellow cabinets!!!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

I'm all over the gray, for the furniture pieces; but how about only painting the frames of the furniture pieces and have the drawers/shelves the same stain as the table and the hutch cupboard. Or paint the drawer fronts and stain the frames (even better!)
    It would help tie the wooden pieces to the cooking side of the room.
    BTW I LOVE that you're painting the floor-such a good idea!

• deedles
    10 years ago

kelly green would be super fun! What a neat kitchen this will be.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I really like this colour palette:

To let your fridge pop, I would create a very solid neutral base of white, grey, and natural wood. I would paint the two custom cabinets grey, as well as the inside of the hutch. And I would even use a matching grey fabric for the sink - and let the sink be the star, not the fabric. I like how a tiny pop of pink works in the inspiration photo above too - that could be something to play with.

A more fun, beachy option, would be a more subdued blue rather than the grey.

Here are some paint colour ideas:

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I also think Arsenic could be fun for the custom cabinets (I would just do white sink skirt in that case):

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input!

At this juncture, keeping in mind that the room tends to be dark, that there will be a fair amount of orangish wood tones with the hutch, table and doors (tho the trim is painted white), and that I am generally not one for bright colors in anything, I have deciced that I will stick with colors in one or more these categories (no particular order):

1. Yellow-y creams.
    2. Warm grays
    3. Knocked down turquoisey-blues

Fiesty, I love that kitchen w the peacock! I wonder what color gray that is. It needs to be strong I think, to stand up to the fridge? I love pops of hot pink with turquoise. I used similar colors in a little stone playhouse we have here in our primary home.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Mtnredux, when you say "it needs to be strong I think, to stand up to the fridge", it made me realize that I don't understand how the fridge will be viewed in context. Any way you could post a crude floor plan that shows what will be adjacent to the fridge?

Here's Farrow and Ball Plummett on the wall:

Here it is with your fridge - my monitor sucks but to me it looks pretty close to the peacock kitchen wall colour:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plummett

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:08

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Fiesty,

In fact the fridge stands alone (it is the item marked 30x34). It is the first thing you will see when you come in the back door, which is one of the reasons I wanted it to say "fun". The pieces to be painted are lined up on the left wall as you enter the back door, and the built in hutch is on the right wall.

Here is the floorplan:

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:41

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Nice. So the painted custom pieces will be seen in relation (90 deg angle) to the fridge as you enter the room. Usually these "statement" fridges do look best with a little breathing room around them so that works, IMO.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly, yes. The fact that is it not in a line-up was also one of the reasons I thought color was a ok, if not preferable.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Yup, I am back on the grays, especially after seeing that inspiration kitchen feisty posted. Very cool!

Still not convinced a unifying fabric o the sink isn't a good idea, but the info is out there and it is not my kitchen.

Can't wait to see this put together! A unique and very personal kitchen.

• arch123
    10 years ago

Here is a needlepoint pillow with some colors that I think look pretty good with turquoise. There are some neutral greens, creams etc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Archie,
    Those colors are great together, but I think they won't work well in the house (grey cedar dutch colonial in new england). Thanks, though!

Greenhaven,
    Thank you. It is a vacation home so I feel a bit more daring! I do agree that the perfect fabric might answer a lot of questions, but I hardly know where to start (online) after Calico Corners. In person, I can't bear the thought of all those books at the design center I use...

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I vote for keeping the turquoise as a pop of color in your fabric accents and in other accessories. I would definitely paint the two cabinets in either a taupey gray or just the off white that is already in the room.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Here's an example of F&B Plummett on cabinetry:

This post was edited by feisty68 on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 1:35

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

That is a very nice grey, feisty.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Feisty, I agree with Greenhaven, great color.

Firsthouse, Thanks! I probably will.

• mermanmike
    10 years ago

Nice to see your plans coming together! Yours is a reveal I am truly looking forward to. My $0.02...I think it may look contrived if you use turquoise as an accent throughout--it might take away the fun, casual, unfitted feeling. I really like the idea of chairs in the green-ish color Feisty posted (dix blue) because to me, it looks like my jadeite things, which would be great with the fridge but not match-y. I see your kitchen as looking collected rather than planned, if you know what I mean.

The link is to a kitchen I find totally inspiring; it uses blues and greens and other colors in a way that is easy and beachy but still, I think, elegant.

Here is a link that might be useful: 27 Cape San Blas by Historical Concepts

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have vacillated far more than usual because I have moved out of my normal "50 Shades of White" approach to decor!

Which is a nice segue for my decision. I have decided that what will work best for me personally, look most vintage and unfitted, and work in a somewhat dark room, is to use a mix of neutrals on the sink wall, with a navy and white sink skirt (TBD), and pick up the turq only in the back wall of the hutch and maybe dishtowels, vase, etc.

I am using two different neutrals for the custom wood pieces (the d/w front and table), cream and grey.

Here are the colors:

Here is the new mockup:

Of course, i may tweak the exact shades when I am there in person, but at least now I have a road map.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

It will look great! And for someone, as you say, stepping outside your comfort zone it seems like an excellent first step. getting some color in there without it being overwhelming!

I have to say, though, that as I was showering in my misfit, disjointed bathroom I was totally inspired by your kitchen to paint the vanity a nice, bright blue against the existing buttery yellow walls and get a shower curtain that unites the two. It will be my own first truly colorful first room at minimal risk because this will eventually be the guest bath.

Best wishes, your road map looks great!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I think you have accomplished the beachy fun look you were going for :) . I like the idea of the hutch interior being white or gray, to let the natural wood colour stand on its own rather than competing with the turquoise, but that's a small detail - obviously no right or wrong with that.

I think a painted floor will be great, but I also like the idea of encaustic cement tiles:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Greenhaven, do post your project for us!

Feisty,
    Sigh, don't get me started on the floor! I love encaustic; I have it on a fpl surround at my primary home.

I really wanted grey and white checkerboard marbled linoleum or similar; even vinyl (shhhhh). I COULD NOT find it. I spent a long time on this, and it does not exist. I could only find Dr's-office-stuff, very modern stuff, and the very limited Marmoleum line. The GC's painter does not want to paint checkerboard, so I don't want to make him.
    Tile is too hard and cold for barefeet imho, and the wood is there and in good condition. This photo made me realize, hey, why not just paint it, dummy?

PS I may do a grey in the hutch; good point. I will try both.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

If the flooring is already there, then yeah, I would paint. I love painted wood floors and it is practical because it's so easy to freshen up.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

LOL, yes, I just visited this post because I couldn't find the paint color for the cab back and they need touch-up!