Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to ship a cast iron sink between private parties--ideas?

Posted by needinfo1 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 12:57

After a gazillion hours online looking for a new replacement for my now discontinued, non-standard size Kohler cast iron sink, I think I have found a new one on Craigslist. But, the problem is it is half way across the country. I know shipping will be well over $100 because this is a super heavy and bulky item, but I am fine with that. But, I don't have any idea about the logistics of how to do this.

The sink is out of the original box, and the owner mentioned just re-taping the original box and shipping in it. But, I know that is insufficient padding and protection. The owner, obviously, thought it would be sold to someone locally, not someone who is halfway across the country and she knows nothing about this. As the buyers we are willing to arrange for packing, pick up and shipping. Has anyone ever shipped a sink like this? Do you have any ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to ship a cast iron sink between private parties--ideas?

What about FedEx office? They have tons of packing material - foam / bubble wrap etc and can pad it sufficiently. They also have a freight service for larger items. You can also schedule via a freight company but then packing would need to be done by the seller. FedEx might be able to use the original box too.

o

Tell them to bring it to the UPS store and send you the bill.

o

Check out uShip.com

You need someone who will show up and pack the item. I used American Mini-Movers once, but they are probably not in your area.

o

Just have the seller bring it in to a UPS store (or FedEx store if UPS isn't available) and they will pack it safely, nothing required but just the sink; the packing price isn't exorbitant (I shipped a heavy and delicate sewing machine this way once) and it can be included in the shipping bill.

Congrats! Glad your sink worries are at an end.

o

I knew this was the place to get a good answer because someone here had to have done something similar. I'll check out all of these options before I talk to the seller tonight. Now I am just hoping that she isn't leery of an out of state buyer and can get this heavy thing to a shipping facility. So, I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this turns out well and this is the solution to my problem.

Thanks all.

o

UPS will do pretty large and heavy stuff for a price.

How heavy and large is it exactly?

I have set very expensive and large things UPS, Fedex, and truck/motor freight.

A lot of the charge depends on how fast you want it.

An 80 pound piece of electronic gear in a 36 in x 36 in x 30 in box used to cost us close to $1,000 for next day Fedex.

When it costs $800+ a day to rent something it starts to be effective.

o

There is always the cargo option at the airlines too. Have sent stuff via plane when I needed it same day.

o

Fortunately I can wait and wouldn't need to pay those really huge prices to get something freighted by air. We are putting in new counters, and it won't be until about a month from now until I will need to put in the sink.

I'm thinking this baby weights close to 150 pounds and will need a crate close to four feet long by perhaps a foot deep by maybe two feet wide. So, it is BIG!

o

You should be able to get an idea of the weight from a spec sheet. Kohler could also tell you, if all else fails.

UPS may have a max weight they can handle (since their delivery drivers couldn't handle a 150 lb item by theselves.) But they might have a deal to package the item and get it to a motor freight company - for a fee, natch!.

I'd be surprised if the sink actually weighs as much as 150 lbs, unless it's some kind of vintage behemoth. Modern stuff is usually designed to be shippable. I have several heavy cast iron sinks and none weigh any where near that much. I know because I just shifted my stash around in the barn last month and while some were heavy, none were beyond my strength. And I am a 63 yo female..

The sellers will probably be happy to take it someplace that will see to packing and crating. Then they'd not be liable for any damage claims during transit.

Good luck!

L..

o

I second UShip. You fill out the information of what you have to ship and then various shippers bid on shipping the item. When I used them to ship a very large, heavy piece of furniture, the guy came and just wrapped the goods in blankets and put it in a trailer. Shipped from door to door for a much better price than Fedex or UPS, and I didn't have to worry about packing it or getting it to the UPS office.

o

Actually I do think it weighs about 150 pounds because that is the weight quoted on several websites for a very similar sized Kohler 43" sink. This has a good size main bowl with a small disposal bowl and an attached drain board that is about a foot wide. Maybe I am wrong on the weight and will call Kohler tomorrow to see if they would still have this info since it is a discontinued sink. While I hope it is something that could be moved around by someone like lirodendron (or me--we're the same demographic), I suspect lifting this is definitely a two person endeavor.

Thanks again.

We'll definitely check out UShip; I think I may have heard about them from another source at another time too.

o

Actually I do think it weighs about 150 pounds because that is the weight quoted on several websites for a very similar sized Kohler 43" sink. This has a good size main bowl with a small disposal bowl and an attached drain board that is about a foot wide. Maybe I am wrong on the weight and will call Kohler tomorrow to see if they would still have this info since it is a discontinued sink. While I hope it is something that could be moved around by someone like lirodendron (or me--we're the same demographic), I suspect lifting this is definitely a two person endeavor.

Thanks again.

We'll definitely check out UShip; I think I may have heard about them from another source at another time too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here