Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing marble - How to DIY

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 12:55

We just had honed marble counters installed in the bathroom. I think the fabricator sealed it once but I seem to have read here that some of you have sealed it several times. Is this something an average person can DIY? Can someone teach me how? I would like to do this before we move in. Also how often does it need to be redone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing marble - How to DIY

You just wipe it on and let it dry. My fabricator left me a new bottle of 511. It has instructions on the bottle, but that's what you do. Wait a couple hours (at least) in between sealings. When water beads on your marble, it is sealed.

o

I think I remember reading somewhere on GW that you also DON'T want to over seal it. A 2nd coat would be recommended but I don't think it's necessarily good to do too many. You should the wait a year or two before doing it again. I'm not a professional but check on that : )

o

Read the instructions on the bottle. I used Miracle 511 on my honed marble (mine is New St.Laurent, a less porous variety), but I've read that the Porous Plus is recommended for honed. You can find videos on Youtube--type in Miracle 511, or 'sealing marble.'

FAQS Applying Miracle 511

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQS Miracle sealants

o

Stone Tech is another good sealer for marble. I'd try to find out which one they used (hope it was one of those two) and use the same one. It is very easy and basically the same process with either one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here