Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

My "Island"

a2gemini
11 years ago

I have been using my wonderful new kitchen for over 6 months (although I still have some outstanding punch list items on stickies by my garden window....)
I knew my bake zone was a bit small but thought I would use my old cart - well my DH decided we needed something nicer.

I snagged this brand new Boos Cart on Craig's List and it is just the ticket! It did come with the 3 most feared words - Some Assembly Required" and I did have to make a trip to Chitown to snag it from my DB and SIL who held it hostage until we picked it up after the CL exchange they did for me.

It is a portable island and I have a home for it in the sunroom or if I want to hide it, I can put it in the pantry.
It also has a power strip underneath the block - but a short cord

It makes all the difference in the world - I love my new island!!!

Island in action (IIA) - making a batch of mom's swiss steak and a crock of Pot Roast

From the other side

Comments (13)

• localeater
    11 years ago

Love it(and your whole kitchen). Do the locking wheels work well?

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Woohoo! What a great find. It's the perfect addition to your fabulous kitchen. I'm sure it will help make all your cooking and baking sessions a little easier.
    Any new recipes you want to share? :)

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

Congrats! Looks great in the space, and super functional. I imagine that with such a heavy block, the whole thing is pretty stable when the wheel locks on. Don't you just love Craigslist karma? Good stuff that goes around, comes around!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater - the brakes work well - but on a wood floor, I can still move it a bit if I try hard enough.

Badger - I am working on pizza's but not very good so far. I used my DM recipe for the swiss steak - but haven't tried it yet.

Miz - I think it is my first purchase on CL(I sold some items on CL and eBay) - got it for about 1/2 price but lost some of the price by having to drive to Chitown- original plan was DB was to keep it in his garage until one of us was going to visit but it was too big for them to store even though it was still in the box (and probably too heavy to get out of the car in one piece.(150 lbs!!!!)

I used my medical background and a draw sheet - we had the bumpers of the 2 vehicles kissing each other and just pulled it across with the sheet. - Pretty nifty.

It is so handy - I am using it daily for so many things.

• smiling
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous addition, both in function and beauty. The wood colors and SS are perfect in your kitchen! Congratulations on such a great CL score!

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago

Beautiful addition! Congrats!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Great find! Your floors are fabulous. What are they?

Beautiful kitchen!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Sweet!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks right at home in your kitchen! Any baking tips for the Advantium?

• katz.3
    11 years ago

Your island is beautiful as is your whole kitchen. I love your cabinets.
    Do you enjoy your adventium?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

That looks great! I love Boos products, spent a long time ogling their wooden countertops. Now, does this convert into anything über cool like your breakfast table, when you flip a switch?

• deedles
    11 years ago

That's a great find! And it does look perfect in your kitchen. I do like them Boos!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the complements on the cart.

Deedles, CatMom, Katz, TMY, Smiling - thanks - love this forum - it is an ego booster or it can blow your mind as folks are very honest! Right now, looks like I made the right choices even though I found the group after some decisions were made...

SanJuanGirl - The floors are the original floors - we just lightly sanded them and put a new protective layer on top - when we bought the house 18 years ago - they were a dingy gray and they sanded up to a beautiful red oak - they are a veneer - so I figure we have another 10-20 years with some TLC.

OldBat - this doesn't convert but my pop up table does go from a "coffee table" to a breakfast table or work space. You probably saw this on my final reveal - it is uber cool

Katz(and thanks for the kitchen compliment) and Williamsen - love my Adventium - I use it almost everyday and now I have an easy way to swap out the trays. - It reheats the best pizza ever - but use the speed oven and not the MW!

i even reheated pancakes that tasted like they just popped off the grill. I use plain MW - most often the "reheat plate of food", warming feature to warm up my WS pantry plates (my normal plates are not oven safe, so if I want hot plates, I use the WS version).

The keep warm feature is great - just use oven safe items and a bit of planning - I do the MW first and then swap out the trays - I hope downstream they find a tray that doesn't need to be swapped out.

I do bake side dishes in the advantium - I just punt from the basic recommendations - it is pretty intuitive after you get going. How much top heat do you want, bottom heat, convenction, and MW. I am getting pretty good as guessing what to use.

Baking - I have only baked cookies a few times - I have my Wolf for major baking....

I should probably start a thread just on the advantium....

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!