Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ca_mom

Elevated Dishwasher?

ca_mom
13 years ago

Just saw macybaby's Domsjo sink photo with an elevated dishwasher. Are these as wonderful I think? I currently have the "old style" w/o the full height drawer. With the new models the lower rack seems SO LOW to the floor. My dw will be at the end of a counter run with no upper so though I'd lose the counter consistency I have a layout where this might be possible. I run a full load at least once a day so dw drawers aren't an option.

Greatly appreciate any insights!

Comments (10)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

I think it'd be great! a few on here have them and they love them.

here are 2 gwer's I copied out for my 'idea' folder hoping I could have a raised dw also.

from a local Lowe's -

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i think it's a great idea. i have a terrible back and considered this myself; but i couldn't really work it into my layout. same concept as the front loader washer/dryers on pedestals. i don't think anyone would complain!

• holligator
    13 years ago

If you have plenty of counter space, it seems like a good idea. My original KD tried desperately to talk me into this because I'm tall, but since my #1 reason for remodeling the kitchen was to get more counter space, I bristled at any suggestion that would limit the amount I had in any way. I probably would have done it had I not been so obsessed with counter space.

I don't understand this comment, though: I run a full load at least once a day so dw drawers aren't an option. Why not? I ended up with drawers, and I often run a full load per day, and they haven't posed a problem. In fact, they've made it better on days when I have a lot to wash, since together the drawers hold about 120% of a regular DW. Or, I can run a load and a half, or just a half load, or...so many options.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

And while on the subject, please disregard the raised dishwasher idea that came and went as fast as platform sneakers. Raising a dishwasher sounds good in theory but think about how silly it would look and function having the counter right next to your sink raised 6 inches or so? Sort of like, hmmm, platform sneakers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Trend toward raised dishwashers

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Have had ours for three + years and LOVE it -- would do it over again in a NY minute.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I think it depends on how it's done. Some of these examples show a hutch, and/or placement on the end of a run. But I've also seen raised DWs right next to a sink, with no place to drain dishes, and then an abrupt return on the other side back to regular countertop height. It just looks like one of the cabinets is trying to fart.

• ca_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. Photos are great!

Interesting thought Holligator. Didn't realize they held MORE together. I'm in the rut of filling the DW all day and setting it to run in the middle of the night. You're right, there are more options than that. I'll have to get to the appliance store and play with the drawers. Thanks to GW I'm a total drawer convert for cabinets. I too am a counter space junkie. I'm a bit concerned with the possibility of banging my elbow on the vertical rise of the counter when I'm working at the sink as it'll be just left of my sink as in Desertsteph's third photo. Do you have problems fitting large items like platters and cookie sheets in your DW drawer?

Thanks!

• lee676
    13 years ago

In addition to the single drawer-type dishwashers, there is another, perhaps better option if you want both a raised dishwasher and a normal-height countertop - this single-rack, 36" wide undercounter dishwasher:

{{gwi:1391394}}

This one is a Smeg STO905U. Are there any others? Anyone here have one?

• macybaby
    13 years ago

We did ours so the counter overhangs the sink, and the dish drain sits right on top. I really don't notice the countertop issue at all - since before we raised it it had the dish drain sitting there, and now it does too - but have the cabinet above raised so we still have usable counter space.

However - now I'm planning on putting in dish drawers and if I had planned that from the start, I may not have raisded the DW . . . Though my husband loves the raised DW - and even the raised counter as he likes to set stuff there and now it does not get splashed from the sink.

With the regular style DW - it is so nice to not have to bend over so far - I never thought it was that big of a deal until I stopped having to do it.

• melaska
    13 years ago

rmkitchen...how many inches did you raise yours? Looks about 10"? We're having a raised dishwasher, too.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company