Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Messed up counter top fixed. Whew.

deedles
10 years ago

Per the last counter top messed up install thread.

And DH is vindicated (mostly)!

Well, the fix it guy came out and loosened up the backsplash with the wood shims as Trebruchet explained. Once he did that he loosened up the counter top and started pulling all the shims from behind the backsplash and when the splash was fully released the counter went flat onto the sink. The 'drawbridge' at the sink went away. What a relief to see that happen.

Now, the back of 2 cabs ARE a bit lower, like just a little bitty bit than the fronts so as we suspected a couple shims back there would have prevented the backsplash from pushing the back of the counter down and causing the front to lift.

This guy today really knows what he's doing and he's used about 4 shims to the 12 or 13 that were used before. He hasn't had to cut or trim a thing. The counter is now supported fully, it looks wonderful and I can actually feel stress rolling off of me when I look at it. Wow, silly but true.

I told him he must be the installer that installs the installers counter tops.

He's still in there working so I just snapped a quick pic for before and after:

Before:

After:

Whatever happened with the initial install, it appears to be coming together like perfect puzzle pieces now, so good heavens could that have been worse, right?

Comments (32)

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

That's great news! So happy you were able to find a good fix.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Yay!
    Edit: spelling? Oh well, one word & I make a selling error.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 11:21

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

So is he shimming the cabs for you too or are you just gonna leave the cabs?

Regardless, glad the countertop is getting fixed!

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Yay! And yay for DH :-)

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

I love it when things go right!!! :)

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He and DH just had to tuck a little bit of shimming at the back of the 2 cabs as they really weren't bad at all. It's now perfectly level to the right of the sink in both dimensions and 99% perfect to the left of the sink. The cabs were fine and the fix it guy even said so, well at first he said he'd let everything loose and we could fix the cabinets and they'd come back another day but when he released the counter and it went flat he just said 'huh' and stopped talking about DH fixing the cabs.
    He didn't bad mouth the other installers and that's perfectly appropriate but I caught a "WTH" look a couple times when he was taking it apart.

Whatever twisty forces were brought into play have been released and I'm very happy with the end result.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Yay! Doesn't relief feel good? Is it too early to break out the wine?

• renov8r
    10 years ago

A great relief for you.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

This is good news.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'tis that!

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Your relief is not silly at all1 Glad it got fixed.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Deedles - I'm so happy to see that this is turning out well for you. I kept my fingers crossed...it's turning out much better than I dared hope. Hooray!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

WooHoo!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Deedles: Awesome! That little ledge would have driven me batty if I had it in my house, so I understand totally why you would have wanted it fixed to look better. Thank goodness it was not a huge deal.

• Iowacommute
    10 years ago

So happy its fixed now, and it looks great now!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

And you don't have to fire your husband ;)

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

I tried to write earlier but just had no words when I saw the problems with that gorgeous sink. Wonderful, wonderful news. This is going to be one of my very favorite kitchens.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

phew. I'm so glad your stress is gone. I would have felt the same way.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Yay deedles! So glad it was fixed, such a pretty kitchen!

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

Wow. Good news (and quickly). So glad it worked out. Time to break out the wine. Cheers!

• infinitylounge
    10 years ago

I've been on the edge of my seat, congrats on it working out so easily!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Loved seeing the before and after pictures. What a story they tell. Deedles, I'm so glad this story had a happy ending.

P.S. Please tell DH my DH was pulling for him :)

• carolssis
    10 years ago

Holy crap! That's great news! Am so glad it was such an easy fix for the installer. Am happy to see that it was installers fault and not hubbys. Good things for you both Now, give the installer a big pat on the back and smile! .

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I have to admit, I'm really curious as to why someone did what they did. Really. Can you imagine someone who didn't have the support here?

I am thrilled it's coming together. and... DH is off the hook!

• poohpup
    10 years ago

What a great update! So happy to hear this news after reading your first post and seeing those awful pictures! You poor thing! So much stress!

I would love to see more pictures! Dying to see your sink installed with Big Girl!!

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are all so nice (what would I do without GW through this past 2+ years?) and yes, DH is quite relieved both that he doesn't have to spend a day or two on the floor leveling cabs and also that he didn't royally mess it all up. Course, I told him he's not fired now and I think he was looking forward to some time off, haha, too bad baby!

So, we have 3 more cabs to be installed this Wed. and the trim guy is coming this week also... I'm hoping to be able to post the reveal purty soon.

The guy building the cabs is going in for surgery this Wed. so he'll be out of commission until May and I'm not sure he got the pantry door finished, so if not, I almost feel like I have to wait for that to be completed before the reveal, ugh.... he said he'd try so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he got to it today.

But closer and closer!

• eam44
    10 years ago

Bs popped right off, no cutting needed- yay! I love it when I'm right :) Congrats.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

EAM44:

I think you may want to reread deedles first post. Apparently the splash was too tall and when jammed between the uppers and the deck, caused the rear of the deck to descend and the front to rise, creating the problem at the front of the sink.

The splash will have to be cut to be reinstalled or the fiasco will repeat. At least installed in a manner that doesn't push the rear of the deck down.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Nice nice.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, Trebruchet... the uppers aren't installed yet. I have no idea the mechanics of how that happened exactly but the uppers don't go to the ceiling so if they end up at 18 1/8" or whatever inches above the counter.. well, thankfully we have that fudge room for upper installation.
    And the top of the back splash is now level where it was a bit off on one side before, so yay on that, too.

I should now thank the cab guy for being so slow and not having the uppers finished on time, I suppose... uh, nah....

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Great news! So people jumped on your poor dh because he is a DIYer when it was the self proclaimed pro screwing things up. Obvious though because no pro would have installed and left a job like that. Kudos to dh for being able to do a great job himself! Next maybe he should learn countertop installation too. Glad it all worked out so easily. What a relief.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Yeah deedles!