Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barstools - counter height or bar height?

Posted by kellienoelle (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 12:54

Hello all,
I am moving to a new house at the end of the month, and the kitchen has a penisula with room for stools. This in my first home with this type of seating, so I need to order some bar stools. I like the Julian Leather stools from Grandin road (I like that they are backless) and was going to order. However I can't decide on which height....counter height at 24" seems too low, bar height at 30" seems too high. Is there a "standard"? FYI I am 5'5" and husband is 6', no children. Here is a long shot of the room with the current HO's things (yes, I realize that the sink is located in a stupid place but am trying to get over it - maybe one day I'll move it to under the window)

photo 043_zps02ea24aa.jpg

Here is a link to the barstools

http://www.grandinroad.com/julien-leather-bar-stool/indoor-furniture/bar-stools/374607?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barstools - counter height or bar height?

Counter height is 36" for which 24" stools are appropriate. Bar height is 42", and that is where you use the 30" stools.

o

Bar stools would be way too high.

o

Counter height. Don't ask me how I know that barstools really only work for a 3-y.o. to sit comfortably. That was a mistake I lived with for years.

Counter height stools do vary a bit in height. If you think 24" is too short for you, keep looking.

o

You could look at height adjustable stools, like these from all modern.com http://www.allmodern.com/Adjustable-Height-Stools-C1768241.html or these from Restoration Hardware - http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690094&categoryId=cat280014

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware adjustable stool

o

Thank you thank you! I went ahead and ordered the 24" so hopefully they will work.

Thanks for the link to the RH stools, they are AWESOME! But like so many awesome things, they are more than we wanted to spend!

o

Having the same issue - island is 36" high, 24" stools seem low and 30" will leave everyone with squished thighs! Anyone find any reasonable, backless stools in a traditional style that fall somewhere in between?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here