Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_am_gw

Was Scherr's Good to You?

bob_am
13 years ago

We are about to decide on a pretty large order of cabinets(21) from Scherr's, and are, of course, worried. I know I've read good things about them here, but at least with a local company, you can see what you're going to get. Was anyone disappointed in their order? How difficult was it to return something incorrect/damaged? I don't suppose there are any satisfied customers within two hours of Harrisburg, PA... We do plan to order samples.

I'm also curious if anyone has tried to settle in on a stain color from 1,000 miles away from the cabinet mfr.

Any feedback would be great for this kitchen forum irregular.

Comments (5)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I ordered a couple of samples in different colors. Scherrs is in North Dakota and I"m in Florida. We ordered fronts for IKEA bases. Most everything was perfect. We have a few errors , but haven't contacted Scherrs yet as we were still installing and tweaking. I believe one mistake was ours in measurement and the other might be theirs. They were great to work with and very very responsive.

• lanval
    13 years ago

We ordered 19 doors/drawer fronts last summer, paint grade, shaker with 4" rails/styles for our Ikea cabs. It cost us about $800. No problems whatsoever, good quality work, great communication.

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

I ordered from Scherr's and was happy with the process and very happy with the results. Throughout the process whenever I contacted Leon at Scherr's, he usually responded within a couple of hours. At least a half a dozen times before they were ready to begin fabrication, I contacted Leon with design tweaks: adding roll out trays, changing the width of the recycling cabinet, changing the wine cabinet setup from three separate wall cabinets to one single cabinet. Each time Leon sent back the updated design within a day or two.

For the custom finish color, I tried some stains on sample pieces of oak and then applied the stain I liked to the sample door I had ordered, and shipped the sample door back to Scherr's, they made and shipped back two sample panels that were close-but-not-quite. I said the second panel is closest, but it needs to be a little more yellow. They sent back a sample with that stain, with a light wash of a dilute yellow dye, and the color was perfect.

The cabinets were shipped to me in late March, but I didn't start assembling the cabinet drawer boxes until late July. At which point I discovered that the cabinets came with Blum 430e full extension drawer slides, but the cabinet sides were drilled for Blum 230m 3/4 extension drawer slides. (Perhaps because I repeatedly specified "full-extension Blum 203E slides" ) However since the cabinet bases were already assembled and installed, sending them back would have been quite difficult. Leon devised a solution and shipped it to me within a couple of days.

Lastly given their pricing setup of 1/3 as deposit to put you on the schedule, 1/3 at the start of fabrication and 1/3 when they ship, it may seem like you are at a great risk if the order is somehow seriously screwed up, but in my mind, the fact that they accept credit cards for the payments makes you safer than if you go with a local company that requires payment via check.

Here is an image of the kitchen when it was mostly finshed, it links to a slideshow of more images:

{{gwi:1596168}}

Charlottesville is more like 170 miles from Harrisburg, but if you'd like to see them IRL we could probably set something up.

• bob_am
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all, I really appreciate the feedback!

I just ordered the sample cabinet, and I'll probably have the set we were going to stain sent unfinished. Apparently you can have them build you a 'mini' cabinet with all the same hardware & finish the final ones will be. You can apply half the cost of it to your cabinet order.

• overlyoptimistic
    13 years ago

We ordered red birch kitchen cabinets and maple bathroom cabinets from them. I installed everything over a year ago and I remain extremely happy with all the products and communication.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus