Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_stewart910

Cabinet Design Choices--Opinions? (Pics)

Sarah Stewart
10 years ago

Hello! After months/years of dreaming, we suddenly seem to be hurtling at top speed toward our kitchen remodel. (Hooray! Egad!) I am feeling pretty confident that the layout will work well for the way I cook. But, I am having trouble deciding between some options for the upper cabinet run. Here is the basic layout to give you the context:

The dining room door is where everyone comes and goes. Our proper front door is thoroughly neglected. So, my first thought was to drop a bookshelf down to the countertop to create a little visual barrier when you first walk into the kitchen. I can picture tucking the toaster oven behind there. But, I worried that one shelf looked a little out of place. Here it is, OPTION 1 (sketched without the island):

A friend suggested I balance it out with a bookshelf to the left of the range hood--nice idea! I can't drop that one down to the counter because it is snuggled up next to the range. So, I could have one up, one down, or ditch the visual barrier idea and keep both shelves at counter height. Of course, I lose symmetry around the range hood. OPTION 2:

And, just for reference, here is a rendering with no shelves and with a stand-in for the island, and a picture of the fridge wall.

Obviously, the bookshelves will be wood and full of books, not grey. So, imagine them filled with classic cookbooks (Thanks Mom.) Thank you so much for your reactions, advice, OPTIONS 3, 4 and 5....whatever comes to mind will be most welcome. The cabinet order is soon and so final! This is our forever house.

Comments (23)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't like the book case next to the range.

Where, if there is one, is the MW going to be ?

• feisty68
    10 years ago

You have lots of space to work with :)

I probably wouldn't put books so close to the range - in my kitchen they would get exposed to too much dirty air.

On the kitchen wall, I would consider open shelving to give your lovely big window some breathing space.

I would shift the range over to the right to center it on the wall if possible, and to allow more space on the left hand side - especially if you plan to have two cooks in the kitchen at times.

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses! Debrak, the microwave will likely go in the pantry--we don't use it much at all. I might also stack it with the single wall oven. How did you feel about the solo bookcase by the door? Cozy or just odd?

Greasy books are not ideal. Thank you feisty68. Usually I am the only cook, but sometimes the hubster gets involved. I hesitate to shift the range because one of the things I dislike about my current kitchen is the tight corner between the sink and the range. I get all jammed up in there, and if anyone else tries to help....well. Amazing how such a nice sized kitchen can function so poorly--hence the remodel!

By placing the range near the door, I was trying to buy some real estate between the sink and the range. I also thought lining it up with the island might look nice?

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh! I did have one design with more room for the window. Not quite the open shelving I think you had in mind feisty, but more spacious. I do give up a fair bit of storage. And I wasn't sure if the glass doors on both sides of the kitchen would be like sentries. (And I may not have enough nice stuff to fill them!) But, I'll throw it back in the mix...

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I prefer the last version to the earlier ones. Looks open and spacious. Have you worked out what would go in each space to determine if you lose too much storage?

• schicksal
    10 years ago

Two things jumped out at me that are both kind of random... you may end up wanting to reposition the range because the hood above it I thought should be about 6" wider than the actual range. That leaves only 6" remaining to its left.

Also the lighting pattern seems kind of random. Is it just the angles the pictures were made from?

• andreak100
    10 years ago

The last photo makes more sense to me in terms of a place for your cookbooks - far enough away from the range so that they won't be as inclined to get as much greasy air. And it does open up the room a bit. If you are concerned about the upper storage that might be lost, what about not putting glass in those uppers to the right of the sink?

Have you thought about putting a bookcase area at the end of your island as it faces us in the layout you posted? I'm not sure what those drawers that you have shown in your drawing are supposed to hold, but I wonder if there's someplace for that stuff to go elsewhere? I think that I might actually prefer the cookbooks there than over in the corner (I think that they might be a bit difficult to reach in that area.)

Over on the fridge side, you're talking about having rollouts in the base cabinets next to the fridge - do you have a specific reason that you are doing doors and then rollouts rather than doing a drawer bank there? Same question about the doors under the oven - those look like full height base cabinet doors, is that designed that way on purpose or do you have a specific storage plan for there?

Also, I noticed that you don't have the cabinetry going the full height to the ceiling for your oven - is that on purpose or a limitation in the design software you're using?

Curious as to why you opted to put 2 12" uppers to each side of the range as well. I would shy away from 12" cabinets if possible. I don't know if you're going framed or frameless, but in general a 12" cabinet doesn't do a lot for you in terms of practical storage space. One might work reasonably well for spices and whatnot, but I wouldn't want two in a kitchen. I'm wondering if it was done in order to try to create "symmetry" - if that's the reason, I wouldn't keep it that way - I personally think that it looks choppy over on the right side of the range.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I would definitely move the range to the right. I know you said you felt crowded on the right side, but I think crowding on the left will trade one problem for another. How much is it moved from your original? I moved my range a foot away from the sink corner, and it made a huge difference.

I agree with Andrea about drawers, and the cabinet over the oven. That small gap is too small to display anything but dust bunnies, and looks like the wrong size was ordered.

Now to your question! I much prefer the idea of bookcases on the back side of the island than where you show in the first sketch. Don't worry about trying to create symmetry between that space and the left of the range - those are two different walls with two different functions, and don't call for symmetry. Much more pleasing to the eye would be use of both spaces in a functional, well-planned manner.

If you want to create separation between the kitchen and the door, I suggest a floor to ceiling cabinet facing the dining room. Put on glass doors, and use it as a china cabinet.

• front
    10 years ago

Sarah

Did you use the Lowe's virtual kitchen designer on their website? I played around with it for a little while. Did you find that there were a lot of options? I couldn't click on the objects to customize them. How did you customize your design (counter depth fridge, etc.)?

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so very much! You've given me lots to think about, which is great. It is so helpful to feel I've thought through all the options before I settle on the one final design.

Some of the oddities you are seeing are a result of the Lowes Virtual planner. (Or my use of it perhaps.) Front--the only items I could customize were the doors and windows. I found it pretty easy to work with but buggy and you just can't do everything. The counter depth fridge was one of the options in the appliances list.

There doesn't seem to be any way to specify the cabinet that contains the oven--the program automatically provides that short one with the full height doors on the bottom. So, that would go to the ceiling, have drawers underneath, and tray holders above.

The island I couldn't figure out how to do on the planning tool either. The drawers you see at the dining room end are just placeholders to create an island. Right now, I have an overhang with a spot for one stool at the dining room end, but I have debated swapping that out for bookshelves. There is something cozy about having a husband or a friend perched on a stool as I putter around the kitchen. Maybe I should just picture folks relaxing at the dining room table?

The rollouts to the left of the fridge I had in mind for small appliances that I don't use that often--mixer, ice cream maker, etc. I thought it'd be easier to get my hands around some of those appliances to lift them out of a shallow pull-out tray. But maybe drawers are just as easy? Our current kitchen is full of rollouts, and I find them pretty agreeable, although I am looking forward to swapping them out mostly for drawers. Those two and the pantry are the only places I've pegged for rollouts.

We're rearranging everything from our current kitchen. Right now the cooktop is under the window, with a broken downdraft vent. And the windowsill is burned from pots bumping against it. Erg. The gorgeous poplar window trim that runs throughout our house--milled from trees on the property--is thoroughly cramped by the cabinets and a valence. The trim is actually cut away for the cabinets. Here is a picture:

The sink is in the peninsula, which we're getting rid of. You can just see the faucet--so you can see the corner where I do all my prep. I gain about a foot with the current range placement. I've never had an island--will it uncramp me enough? I do figure I can pile ingredients there and chop next to the range.

Do you think having the range 6 inches off-center of the island will look odd from the living room? My DH is an engineer and likes symmetry. He also thinks the corner cabinet by the window will look odd without any continuation and prefers the more open plan with fewer cabinets on that wall. I probably can get away without the extra storage. We don't tend to stockpile much in the way of packaged foods.

Long post! I think I've responded to your questions mostly? This project is incredibly fun and simultaneously daunting. I am so grateful for your shared experience and expertise.

• front
    10 years ago

Sarah

Did you use the Lowe's virtual kitchen designer on their website? I played around with it for a little while. Did you find that there were a lot of options? I couldn't click on the objects to customize them. How did you customize your design (counter depth fridge, etc.)?

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi front,
    The only customization I could find was to size the doors and windows. Otherwise, the program seems to be limited to the options you can click on. The counter-depth fridge was a clickable option.

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For your contemplation--pics below. :) Andrea, you are right--it is much more pleasing with fewer, bigger doors. Annkh, I think I can lose 6 inches of corner space and still be happy--and I won't be tipping pot lids on the floor trying to balance them on 12 inches to the left of the stove. Huzzah! I'll have to see if the 24 inch drawers to the left of the range can still handle my pots and pans.

BUT, how odd does the range hood look 6 inches off center of the island in the second picture? It's not as bad as I thought, but I'm curious to hear your reactions. (The space between the island and sink is already a squeezed 39 inches counter-edge-to-counter-edge, so I can't bring the island along with the range.)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

No one is going to notice or care about the 6" off. My sink is about 3 - 6" off center of my island.

Just a random though about your fridge. How about closing it in with drywall? It will give it a more "built in" look. Drywall is always cheaper than cabinets or wood.

Here is what we did. Pic when still under construction.

Others on GW have done this also. The walls do not have to be very thick. You can put an alcove or shelves above.

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do love fridges boxed in like that, but I can't quite picture it with cabinets to the left and right. I was planning on wood panels to box in the fridge, but failed to work them into the mockup.

And schicksal, I missed your observations--yes the lights are totally wonky! I've been so focused on cabinet layout, I just dropped a bunch in to light up the room. :)

Any thoughts on what you would do with 20 inches on either side of the window? In the plan with only 8 inches between cabinets and window frame, I had planned to run a quiet backsplash tile up and around. 20 inches seems like a lot of tile...

• annac54
    10 years ago

Here's ours with the range off of center of the island. As debrak2008 said, when you're in there cooking, nobody is going to notice.

We boxed in our fridge with cabinetry (modified and added to existing cabinets). I like the drywall look too, but it wasn't an good choice for us. If you're going with brand new cabinets, you have the option of doing it any way you want.

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks AnnaC, Your kitchen is beautiful! It's great to see a real example. Your stunning range hood is more prominent than mine will be, and the alignment with the island is a non issue, just like you all suggested. It just seems like you might be standing at an angle--and that's if you bothered to think about it at all. (We'll see what the engineer says--my husband notices stuff like that far more than I do.)

I'm also loving your backsplash tile! Could you tell me what it is?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Here is my photo.

An engineer lives here too but never noticed it. He is all about function. I wanted 42" aisles so that is where is landed.

Can you see the difference?

IRL no one looks at a kitchen the way we look at a layout.

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Debrak--I can't even see the shift in yours. Although the pup is in shadow, it appears your beautiful granite matches your dog. Now, that's a design coup! :)

You all have shifted my perspective--and my cabinets!--and put my mind at ease. Thank you thank you thank you.

If anyone has other thoughts, I'm happy to hear them. I'm going in for one more cabinet estimate this week, and then it'll be time to pull the trigger. I am soooo looking forward to ventilation, usable counter space, cabinets to the ceiling....so many things! I once made the mistake of exploring what's going on above our cabinets given that we have no functioning ventilation other than the window. Not pretty. Oh so not pretty.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

What I was trying to show you is....look at the sink....then at the island. See how it is more to the right side? No one will ever notice or if they do....why does it need to be lined up?

Anna, nice to see your kitchen again. Love that granite.

• front
    10 years ago

annac

What brand and model is your range hood?

• annac54
    10 years ago

Thanks, debrak,

I did take the picture from a slight angle, but the left side of the island extends about 1-2 inches wider than the stove, and the right side is 5-6 inches farther out. It was originally like that as we refinished the existing cabinets.

DH is an engineer also (nickname: Mr. Perfecto). I don't think you would find more perfect grout lines in a backsplash. Notice the outlets are turned horizontal and line up with a row of tile. He also installed all the new doors and drawer fronts and hardware, hood, moldings, etc. It took forever, but it's precision work. Of course, if he did this for a living, we'd starve..... : )

The backsplash is crema marfil marble subway tile. I bought plenty extra, but some came damaged, and there's always variation in natural stone. We hand-sorted these tiles several times to weed out the ones with color that was too light, too dark, too blotchy, had weird markings, etc. There was a little variation in the thickness also, which caused some issues with installation. I'm happy with it, but you should be aware that natural stone is a little trickier than manmade tile.

Hang in there and keep working on your layout till you really like it. It' will be beautiful when you get it done I'm sure.

Closer view of the tile:

• Sarah Stewart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debrak--I can see that the sink is offset, but you are so right that I would not have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

Mr. Perfecto--hahaha. I know a person very much like that. :) You all did a beautiful job with that tile. It looked more gray in the fist picture, but I can see in the closeup it is a lovely warm hue.

Having slept on my revised design, I'm still feeling very positive about the changes today. Less choppy, more functional, and less worry about symmetry. But, as I've said to DH many times: I've decided what to do! Subject to change. :)