Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Colors and adjacent color changes

CEFreeman
11 years ago

Hi all!
I'm still fussing with a raspberry upholstered piece that I can't afford to recover. Luckily, I guess, it has a lot of gray in the raspberry.

Is there a color (cream, stone, beige, tan, oyster, blah blah) that would help pull out the gray?

You know, like when you have any color green, something brown next to it really makes it look greener than next to something orange or white?

I'm not wasting time posting a picture because monitors resolve so differently.
I'm also not interested in "... color of the year, emphasise it!" or "...learn to live with it." So please don't bother with that kind of stuff. I'm seriously entertaining the idea of painting the fabric, although it's a gorgeous Queen Anne piece.

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (8)

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Use complementary colours to tone down the raspberry.This article explains how to find a complementary colour. HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: How to tone down (orange) fabric

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Some people have had good results painting their upholstery. I have never tried it, and I imagine it would depend on the fabric, but here's the link if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting upholstered furniture

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Christine, glad to see post from you. You haven't posted in a while and even though I don't know you, I was worried about you. Also missed your insights and humor.

A few months ago, I tried painting the upholstery on an old side chair. It sort of turned out. It looks okay from a distance but dont touch it because it is quite stiff. Haven't really sat on it but pressing on it yields some lines almost like cracks in the paint.
    I had followed the directions from the website linked above. The fabric that I painted was a pinkish color velvet and I painted it a soft sage green. The chair had cane sides, so not much fabric. It took more coats and consequently more paint than the directions stated. Maybe because of the type of fabric.
    So in other words, my painting effort was not too successful. I will not be using the chair as is. I may try again with different paint on the remaining matching chair.
    Hope you figure out how to make your chair work for you.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Painting upholstery? I had no idea....

• deedles
    11 years ago

Painting upholstery? I had no idea....

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! Petra, I was looking for something like that.

Badgergirl, thank you for the kind words. I just spent a week down hard with a head cold that went to my chest. I hack like an old smoker (never been one!) but I'm much better. I'm extremely seldom ill, so when I am I'm a big baby.

Frankly, over the last couple of weeks, I haven't had much incentive to spend time posting because I kept reading the same, exact same questions being asked that were addressed 10 million times. Others have more patience than I. The types of questions come and go in waves.

I really don't want to paint this piece. It's got a gorgeous, feather cushion, and the fabric is really beautiful. It's just the color.

I'm going to try surrounding colors to tone it down first, then we'll see.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I have a rasberry/merlot colored chair and I cut a sample of the fabric from a hidden spot. When to paint stores and found paint that matched it. Luckily there was a whole brochure of that color with other colors that blended with it. It helped alot.

So if you can cut some fabric and take it with you to the paint store. Maybe you will find some ideas.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

I think that there is a shade of sage-y green for every color...