Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

About time - drawer is finally fixed!

a2gemini
10 years ago

As many of you might remember, I had a side wall blow out on my Brookhaven 42 inch cabinet dish drawer almost 2 years ago.

Here is the link to the original thread. Based on input - we figured out the issue did not have to do with construction but more the installation of glides and overall weight!
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1020404519236.html

Going in circles - Brookhaven agreed to replace the cabinet box but getting it out of there looked problematic as the risk of destroying our countertop and backsplash was more than we could fathom. So thanks to ideas from GW - we went a different route.

This went in circles even more as the wrong size replacement drawer came in. Then was re-ordered and the owner canceled cause thought it was a duplicate.

Then the wrong glides came in, etc.

Well it is done! We decided to put a drawer in a drawer and using heavy duty glides with additional screws - we should be good to go (but I will always be a bit squeamish on full extension with this big guy!) I would have liked finger cutouts to grab the drawer and could still do downstream.

The pictures aren't great - but you will get the idea.
This is the cabinet. The outside looks the same.

The drawer in a drawer

Bottom part of the drawer

Second shot

Top part of drawer

And just for fun - I found these bowls at a friend's show - she does weaving and spinning but they also had this potter and thought the colors were a must have for my kitchen

And just a bit of snow around

Comments (22)

• romy718
    10 years ago

I have to thank you, a2gemini. Thanks to your post, I realized I was heading down the same path with my WM 36" dish drawer. I had not factored in the weight of the drawer & the peg system & with 60 lbs of dishes, the soft close stopped working & it seemed scary heavy at full extension.
    They are replacing my glides with HD ones on Tuesday. Which glides did you use?
    Edit: what about the drawer below? Did you repace with HD glides also?

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 15:41

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blum heavy duty (150 lbs) full extension 105 or something close to that.
    I don't have the info right in front of me - but glad you are replacing yours as well.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

a2g - I'm glad that this is finally getting fixed. But, I would ask them to cut down the front on that drawer in a drawer to make it easier for you to access it unless it recesses enough that you could put some type of pull on the front.

Your issue is one that has caused me to discuss drawers, weight, thicknesses, glides,etc. with our cabinet maker. And I'm sure that many others have really thought through things further because of your dish drawer issue.

Our dish drawer isn't as wide as yours (36"), so we stuck with a 3 drawer unit, although I seriously considered a 4-drawer. Still sort of think that I should have changed to that, but the only other 4-drawer we have in the kitchen is narrow, so I thought it might look silly to have a wide 4-drawer.

I also decided against the peg system knowing that you and others haven't had issues with their plates moving if they didn't have the peg system and that it was just adding more weight. We also upgraded to the 3/8" bottoms in the wide drawers rather than the 1/4" that was standard to help minimize the possibility of bowing from weight. Another thing that I've tried to do is keep my heaviest plates so that they are over one of the glides. I know yours was an issue of the side walls, but just knowing the issues you had, made me thing much more about that drawer than I might have otherwise. So, thank you. :)

• poohpup
    10 years ago

Wow! I haven't been around much lately. Had no idea your drawer issue hadn't been fixed until now. It has been a long time. Glad to hear it has been resolved. That top drawer does look like it would be a bit difficult to grab to pull out. Like the idea of recessing the top so you can grab it easily. I'm betting you don't have sufficient clearance to add a pull to that a drawer.

Love those bowls! Just beautiful and fun. Your kitchen is just gorgeous. Always love seeing pictures of it. How are you enjoying it? I was making dinner last night and had the double ovens and warming drawer going and was thinking about how much I enjoy using my kitchen now. Things are easy. :)

• xc60
    10 years ago

That is wonderful news, finally. I'm so sorry you had to wait so long. Your cabinets are gorgeous BTW and those dishes are perfect! I would also like to thank you to for sharing your journey with us all.

We also have 42" drawers in our new kitchen. I was quite concerned about them being so wide and after so many changes back in forth in our kitchen design plans and assurances from the KD and using the Blum heavy duty glides, I feel better about them. We don't have a lot of stuff in our kitchen and I plan to store lighter weight items in these drawers like Tupperware, small appliances...

Really like your snow photos, we live in Alberta and for the most part we've had a pretty mild winter without much snow. We've had warmer temps in the last couple of days and the snow is starting to disappear.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I really love that drawer within a drawer for practicality purposes. I tried to do that with a few of mine but I ended up having to delete it because of cost and I'll have to use my open shelves in the pantry instead for my extra dishes. Your new bowls are pieces of art!

I worry about all that snow in the East...how much more can you take? CA is having a drought from all the sunny weather and you are all hit with bad weather after bad weather.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Congratulations, a2! The new double drawer looks terrific.

I had to call back my cabinet installer because one of my drawers wasn't adjusted exactly right. I had just read your horror story, and had him put extra screws in the glides for my heaviest drawers. He was happy to do it.

When I asked my cabinet maker about the weight capacity of my drawers, he reminded me that the weight limit included the drawer itself. What a guy!

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

A2G,
    Congrats on getting that issue addressed!
    And thanx for the peeks at your Buckingham :)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tmy - thanks for your support

Annkh - Yup - I even asked and was initially told that I could put in 75 lbs of dishes....

First - I am in the midwest and Canada - lots of snow here - we set a record in SE MI - not sure about Canada but has been really cold!

Andrea - I will ask when back on terra firma - at least it works - I can grab under the drawer without an issue.

xc60 - that is because we are hoarding the snow and cold... LOL - Are you a xc skier?

Pooh - as I recall, we started our reno on the same day - but you were one much earlier than I was - your kitchen was one of my inspirations!

First - I would have nuked it on the first round as well - but since it was the final resolution - no new costs...

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Does this mean you are finally back home? Glad to hear that this is done, know from first experience how long things take..Yay!

I am expecting at least an on site visit when you come up/down for the Boston Marathon!! I'll send out an invite to any other GW'ers as we get closer . Please let me known your preferred date(s) for a Boston get together.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Glad you finally got resolved. Like others appreciate the post as I too need to discuss whether additional support will be needed for some of my drawers, although they are not as wide.

Your bowls are beautiful, very befitting of your fabulous kitchen. The snow photos are lovely, but I really am looking forward to the spring thaw. I have hope with the time change this weekend...

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Nice.
    The drawer (great idea), the absolutely beautiful bowls on your beautiful counter, the pretty snow (keep it there, please) and everything!

glad it's finally worked out.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OldBat - I am not back home for 3 more weeks.
    Absolutely we should get together. I will email you directly with my plans.

MGoBlue - I just saw A2 is supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow! Glad I am "up north" LOL and thanks for your support. Glad that I could help others with my misfortune.

CEF - Saw a picture with a signpost in the yard - Free Snow U Haul!

I only bought 3 sizes of the bowls but feeling like I should have snagged one more....

• Aamich
    10 years ago

I almost missed this! I'm so glad to see you finally got your drawer fixed! I was on the fence about putting in 42" drawers, but after seeing yours and what happened with the weight issue, I decided to go with 36" drawers next to the stove for my pots and pans. Thanks for helping with that decision. Love your new bowls!

Be glad you are up north! After 50 degrees today, the snow prediction is now up to 5-7 inches for Wednesday. Just when I have finally chipped 3inch thick ice off about half our driveway. And just as the 10 ft pile of snow and ice that the city plowed into our front yard is melting down enough that I can actually see the street. And the wood for our exterior siding is supposed to be delivered in the next week. Argh!

We have had so much snow that the neighborhood deer going through our yard have been using the path that our GC shoveled out from the driveway up the side yard to the back. G-r-r-r. ,,,,,!!!!!!!

• xc60
    10 years ago

Hi, no I'm not a xc skier, lol more like a couch surfer. Hoping to change that with spring coming. :) My username is from the SUV we had when I signed up, a Volvo XC60, my usual username was already taken so it was easy and the first thing I came up with that wasn't taken.

Another warm almost spring day up north here in Canada, snow is almost gone. Lots of mud at our new home building site. Ewww!

Aamichz5 - Deer running through the snow sounds so pretty.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

We have had above freezing temps here for the first time all winter. There is bare ground showing in the back yard (under the fir trees, where it wasn't very deep0; the huge drift next to the house settled close to 2 feet.

My dog hates it. He has a nice path in the snow, but now it's either slushy, or frozen and hurts his poor tootsies. He is such a princess! And he hates to have his feet wiped off when he comes inside.

XC, I'm not looking forward to mud season. Pothole season has begun, and it's going to be a doozy.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aamich - they upped your snow to 6-9 for tomorrow! None for up here but we have plenty left. It is too deep for the deer but the moose are happy (I haven't seen any but others have). The deer around AA/A2 are reaching epidemic populations - they figured out, the burbs are a great place and the nickname for Arborvitae is "deer candy"
    Glad you modified your design based on my experience - I do love my big drawers but the boxes are so heavy!

Annkh - so sorry your puppy is not a happy camper but as you pointed out mud season is coming and yuck!

XC - LOL on the name. Will be watching for your posts as your house grows!

Training for Boston has been a challenge!

• Aamich
    10 years ago

Xc60
    I'm in the middle of the city and deer are serious pests, They eat the gardens, shrubs and trees and crap all over the yard. I have seen between 2 and 8 at any given time. I chase them out when I can, but they are used to humans and don't spook as easily. It has gotten so bad that once our addition is finished, Im going to have the landscapers build a fenced enclosure for my heirloom roses and lilies, otherwise, nothing will be left. I wish there was a way to get rid of them. I can't stand the deer!

A2-good luck with your training. It is raining here now, and everyone is bracing for the snow.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I'm fighting a losing battle - the snow is starting to laugh at me!!! This what my snow bank looked like after the last snow fall. Getting ready for the next round. We're 9.5" from the all time record. I'm sure we'll get there.

• Aamich
    10 years ago

Oh, good one! What a face!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

A2, I love your snow ghost!

Speaking of snow... there are 3 brothers in a Minneapolis suburb who make a snow sculpture in their yard every year. They live down the street from a close friend of mine, so I've seen a couple of these in person. This year it was a shark; last year a walrus, the year before an amazing puffer fish. They build snow benches for viewing, and snow light boxes for night viewing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazing snow sculptures

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I love a story with a happy ending!! I also love your dishes. So glad I happened to see your thread, old friend, since I'm not around much anymore. :)