Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kkupstate

Size of Euro Style Bar Pulls?

kkupstate
16 years ago

Hi! I'm a newbie who's been lurking for a short while and decided to make my first post...

I am interested in the European style stainless steel bar pulls but am confused to what length they should come in. Should they run the whole length for drawers? And what about doors - including tall pantry ones? I saw one post that used 1/2 size for the doors (15" for a 30" door), but I was wondering if there were any "rules of thumb" out there.

I realize it is probably personal preference but if anyone has any pics they could share, I would grateful. I am having a tough time visualizing!

I look forward to your advice! Thanks!

Comments (6)

• pharaoh
    16 years ago

In my kitchen we used all the bar pulls to be 2" shorter than the door/drawer on each end. i.e. if a door is 24" tall, then the pull was 20" long.

I bought them all on ebay. inexpensive, great quality, all sizes available.

• kkupstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks - do you have the store name from eBay? I saw some pictures elsewhere and I can imagine that 2" shorter on each end would have the "right" look.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I did mine to be about 1" to 1.5" from each end.

I couldn't be exact on every drawer, and I found that it didn't matter. The slight discrepancies

Also, I like not having such a big gap between pulls; I find that my clothes are less likely to get caught on the pulls where there is a gap between them; they only get caught by the dishwasher, where there isn't any other pull. I think that small gap keeps my clothes out of the danger zone.

For the uppers, I picked a length I liked, which was about 2/3 of the way up the door (I have 42" doors). Then for the shorter cabinets, I bought shorter pulls and kept the TOP LINE of the pulls the same.

I only have 1 vertical pull on the lower level; I felt that skinny cabinet next to the stove would look funny w/ a horizontal pull, so I tried for the same proportion as on the uppers.

All the other base doors/drawers are horizontal pulls; some are drawers, some are doors, and there's no real pattern (for example, under the sink there's a pullout and a door--so I didn't want to have a knob on one and a pull on the other, or horizontal on one, and a vertical on the other)

SOURCE:
    MyKnobs.com has several brands, each w/ their own length. (be sure to look for the total length, and not the distance between posts)

I did the math for the optimal sizes i thought I wanted, then looked at the selection available in each different manufacturer, and picked the manufacturer who came the closest, esp. on the ones I most wanted.

• kkupstate
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to both of you for all the info - and to talley_sue_nyc for all the pics too! I think I have enough to go on - just need to get the DH to agree with it all!

• paul_ma
    16 years ago

I just went through this - I ordered my pulls the other day and they are now in transit. I meant to get this figured out before I got the cabinets, so everything would be ready, but I procrastinated until the cabinets were in. And I am glad I did.

I mocked up the handles using silver ribbon and double sided tape. My initial guesses about what would look right were wrong, so I did a lot of fine tuning.

For the drawer pulls, I went with lengths slightly less than the panel in the drawer. (I have shaker paneled drawer fronts. The answer would probably be different for slab fronts.) But it was tricky because the pulls don't come in all the lengths that I wanted, so I had to compromise on some, between too long and too short.

For the door pulls, mounted vertically, I thought about full length. But then I realized a problem with that. For upper cabinets I wanted the bottoms of the pulls to be a fixed distance from the bottom of the door. But then the top ends would not be a fixed length from the top of the cabinet because they don't come in the right lengths. I ultimately decided it would be better to make them all the same length. And after trying various things I settled on 10". I think this worked best for the set of cabinet heights I had.

I used the same 10" on the lower doors, aligning with the top of the door. The exception was the pantries, which have a tall lower section and a shorter upper section. There I used the 10" length on the upper, but a long one (28") coming down from the top of the lower door. I did that so that there would be handle at a convenient level for the people in my house.

Bottom line - I recommend waiting till your cabinets are in so you can really visualize what the pulls will look like.