Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

Layout Review - MW won't fit!

socalsister
11 years ago

Galley layout for small kitchen for family of four with frequent family gatherings of 12; tall skinny family.

DH wants to keep doorway to diningroom. To block view of cooking mess when using DR (used all the time in the summer, all holidays rest of year), we are adding a wall mounted sliding door (can't create pocket due to builtin on DR side) and don't want to lose any inches on kitchen side. The pantry/hutch will have glass doors on top for visual relief since this part of the kitchen is visible from the living room and the front door.

Primary concern:
Is this the best layout for functionality?

Additional questions:
1. Should I keep the raised counter to block the view of food prep from the living room and front door? If so, should it be extended the entire length of counter run? I cut it short to enable the end of counter to be used for serving dishes to the kitchen table (used every day)? I have an 8 inch wide raised counter now and it is a place for the phone--and tons of clutter. People tend to stand here when they come to visit (and block the doorway) but I can't put counter seating here due to plumbing/venting in the wall.
2. Is the aisle TOO wide? Water is across from stove now and I hate it, but on post tensioned slab and venting is huge issue to add prep sink--not to mention the loss of counter and drawer space. DH likes to 'help' with meal prep. If I want to narrow the distance between sink and stove, I would have to sacrifice the extra deep full extension drawers on one side since the they would hit if the distance is reduced.
3. Should the sink stay centered (so that two can work on either side) or should it move toward the wall--i.e., dishwasher right next to wall then sink, trash, drawers near table end?
4. Will the 36 inch counters be wasted space on the stove side since I don't have a water source there? I have seen so many kitchens with tiny counters on either side of the stove. I have 18 inches now and they are too small.

Appliances that I hope to get:
Liebherr CD FD fridge
30 inch induction cooktop
GE single double oven
Miele DW
Want to keep my Sharp m/w but it is HUGE (27w x 20d x 18.5h)--where to put it?

TIA for your help!

Comments (5)