Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

URGENT Help needed please

front
10 years ago

I'm all set with my kitchen plans. I have just one issue left. I need to make my decision within the next hour and a half. It involves the 48" at the end of the peninsula. I've had some good suggestions. What are your opinions on my three options?

-Two 24" drawer base cabinets

-One 30" and one 18"

-One 36" and one 12 pull out pantry (used for oils and sauces)

The other drawer cabinets I have are a 12in, 15in, 27"

I will try to fit as many pots and pans I can in my super susan and appliances will go in an easy reach and above the refrigerator cabinet.

I will likely store utensils, pans, tupperware, pyrex, backing dishes, ziploc, etc. in the drawer cabinets. I want a clean counter everything will go inside of the cabinets.

Comments (23)

• peony4
    10 years ago

I have a base pullout and do not like its functionality.

If you need a drawer 30" for storage, I would choose the 30/18 option.

If you do not need that wide of a drawer, I would choose the 24/24 option for symmetry.

Good luck!

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Go big or go home.
    Or regret it. You don't need any more tiny cabinets.
    I'd go with the 30 + 18, simply because I have 24" drawers and they're fine, but eh. 18 is good for silver and standing trays and things.

I adore my 36" drawers and wish I'd never heard of stupid, 12" cabinets of any size.

Make certain you talk about weight and your drawer glides.
    Yeah!!
    Looks like things are coming along.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

You didn't get enough ideas on your thread yesterday?
    Is there an answer you're looking to hear?
    I pretty much think you've been given more than a few options.
    Just pick.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

I agree that a larger drawer is very useful.
    If you have not thought it out, though, I would request more time. Last minute decisions can be good decisions. but sometimes a little more time will give you a chance to better think things through.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I'd go 30/18 too.

Try not to rush or let anyone push you into quick decisions. They are not usually good ones or thought completely through.

• ardcp
    10 years ago

are you doing a 2 tiered cutlery divider? i ask because i fell in love with the 2 tier thing and know that the biggest drawer it can come in is 24". i didn't do any other organizational things from the cab maker but i never saw an aftermarket cutlery that i liked as much as the 2 level. if you did the 2 24"s you could have it in those drawers.
    i agree that a 30" drawer is better than a 24" but then you are stuck with an 18" which is nit as useful as a 24" so its really 6 of one/1/2 dozen if another.
    is cost a factor? the specialty pull outs are pricey and a straight up cab is cheapest with a 3 drawer in the middle for cost.
    sometimes i think planning a kitchen is like my wedding, i am obsessed over the smallest details for the wedding then couldn't remember what they were! i am thinking when it's done, you never think of it again

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I would put in an 18" cabinet closest to the range. The doors are smaller, and I don't think you would have room to pull anything out near the range if you were working there.

If your cabinets are full custom and not inset, you could put in an 18"W 5-drawer bank next to it:

2 - 9"W x 4"H small drawers for utensils (easier to organize than one large drawer)
    1 - 18"Wx5"H for ziplocs, foil, parchment paper, etc.
    2 - 18"Wx11"H drawers for pyrex, plasticware etc.

If you cabinets are inset, you probably could only fit a 4-drawer bank, due to the framing.

Then you could put a 12" pull-out at the end for oils etc.

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

30/18 is my vote!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I completely agree with those who feel you should wait until you've had time to sort through your options. This is a big decision, and a mistake made now will stare you in the face for years.

Have you figured out what will go where? That's by far the best way to decide - base it on your actual needs, not a vote by people who will never set foot in your kitchen.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Larger drawer, but I agree--you do NOT have to choose now. If you DO have to choose NOW, choose to go with a different WhoeverIsMakingYouCHooseNOW.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Another vote for 30/18!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I believe she has two 12" and one 15" drawer cabinet, Schuler from Lowe's. I have talked large drawers ad nauseam with the OP, but she wants Susans in both corners, hence the dinky drawers.

I'd do 30" and 18".

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Agreed, wait until you are sure what you want first!!

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you

I'm not sure what items will go into that space. To tell you the truth, my current kitchen is so small that I will have a lot more storage (I hope anyways). Just by looking around the kitchen, it seems like everything will have a place to go. I'm sure I will accumulate more things.

I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I needed to get this kitchen done. It has been putting the a lot of other things on hold. I can't stop thinking about it. I called and pushed it off until next week.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

You could also do 36 plus a 12 in deep cabinet that opens into the aisle. Leave it open for book storage, or put doors in for a small pantry space, or oils/etc. if you're worried about door clearance, ask about getting some lateral hinges.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Ooo, williamsem scores! I didn't even think of that, but it's a terrific idea. Certainly cheaper than two sets of drawers, and potentially very versatile, with adjustable shelves.

This is what I love about this forum - with so many great minds tackling a problem, unique solutions are bound to come up.

Front, I'm glad you are giving yourself some breathing room. I think you still have some planning to do.

You made this comment: "Just by looking around the kitchen, it seems like everything will have a place to go." I added a lot of space in my remodel, so I can understand your feeling here, but it could get you into trouble when you actually start putting things away in the new kitchen.

I literally made lists of everything I had in my cabinets - not down to every individual plate and bowl, but most things, and especially bigger things. Then I "walked" that list through the new kitchen, and put things away. I taped out the sizes of my drawers (interiors, I got them from the cabinet maker), so I could physically set my things in that space, to make sure it would work. If I had needed another inch here or there, I could have gotten it during that stage - but not after that fact.

Consider each type of thing, and where it makes sense to put it. Not just "Oh, I have room here", but the logical place for things, like potholders next to the range, and plates near the dishwasher. Do you have adequate drawer space for utensils? Do you want a knife insert in a drawer? I was thrilled to get knife blocks off my counters. Roasting pans, casserole dishes, stock pots take up a lot of room. Small appliances take up a lot of room. Remember to consider height at least as much as area. If I hadn't measured my rice cooker and had the shelves spaced accordingly, my rice cooker would not have fit in the Super Susan (mine has a drawer above, so not as much room as some).

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would take annkh's advice and figure out exactly what goes where. I measured everything by laying it out on the countertop and pretending it was a drawer, and then I measured the height.

The unanswered question is how much actual drawer space do you get in a Schuler drawer? In my 23" custom cabinet, I have 20 1/4" interior drawer space. In my 12" Kraftmaid vanity drawer, I have only 7" of drawer space. I lost 5"! Good thing I have an extensive floss collection!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

You REALLY need to figure out where you want things to go in your kitchen. We can all give our opinions until the cows come home...but, if it doesn't fit YOUR STUFF, then our opinions don't help you in the slightest.

When working on my kitchen, I laid out the rough plan that I had in mind. And then...I thought about how I planned on using my kitchen - where was I likely to be for certain things that I would do within the kitchen. That dictated where items should be located. Once I knew what I was planning on doing in certain spaces and what items I would most likely need in those spaces, then it became very easy to measure and place things where they needed to be in cabinets that were the right size for their planned use.

Do not skip these steps. Do not allow someone to pressure you to make a decision that you may not be happy with. It's a lot of money and effort, so take/make the time to get it right.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I'd urge you to engage independent design help in person to go over the plan and to go over the actual 20/20 design instead of relying on the Lowes designer. You can use the assistance and oversight. Yes, it will cost extra. It's cheaper than having an unworkable kitchen that you don't enjoy spending time in every day. You have far too many questions for someone who will be pulling the trigger imminently. You're not ready, and you shouldn't be pressured into spending until you are.

• front
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Livewire

How would I find a good kitchen designer, and how much would it cost?

• User
    10 years ago

Look online at the NKBA website or on Houzz to find a professional. Costs vary depending upon the services that you need and how much time that it takes.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I would do either 30/18 or 24/24. I only have 36" of space to work with so you are blessed that you have room for 48" of space. Big drawers to me are more difficult to open and if they get too heavy, you need special hinges. I may have to go with a 36" drawer which I really do not want to. I Need at least 20" of interior space for my silverware inserts and my other cooking utensils so I can have them in the same drawers rather than in two different drawers. I would figure out what will go inside the drawers and then figure out what size you would like and what would the interior space be.

• peony4
    10 years ago

You may believe you're past the point of an independent designer. However, at the least, take an inventory of what will be stored in your drawers. I lugged my crockpot, mixer, tallest and widest pots and pans, sheets, etc.--even my husband's long BBQ tools--over to my cabinet manufacturer's showroom to determine what fit and where. I was pleasantly surprised by the super-susan and over-the-fridge baking sheet storage, and learned I had no need for a 30 or wider drawer. So, to me, daily opening of 24 drawers made more sense. However, if you have favorite platters or sheets for which you have no other storage, you'll want to accommodate them in your drawers.

I know it sounds like extra work, but do an inventory of what you need to store in your kitchen. Be specific about sizes and where they will fit. And visit the actual pieces to be sure... one of my favorite fry pans with handle that I use almost daily just barely fits in one of my drawers next to the range. If I hadn't measured this beforehand and it hadn't fit after the fact, it would have greatly hampered the functionality of my kitchen.