Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senator13

How did you pick your granite fabricator?

senator13
13 years ago

So, I live in Maryland, but very close to Washington DC, Northern Virginia and Baltimore. I say this because I have a lot of granite fabricators to choose from. My husband and I are building our own house so we can choose whoever we want to fabricate the countertops. I have been in contact with seven different fabricators, all who have been recommended by one person or another. The problem is that we are seeing a range of prices come in. All of these fabricators are using the same yard (MSI) to price the honed Virginia Mist. My gut would normally tell me not to go with the cheapest, but that fabricator was quite nice and seemed knowledgable. He also sent me the most detailed quote. They also don't "hire out" the installation, which some others that I disregarded early on did. But I just don't know if it is bad to go with the cheapest place in this situation. Here are the ranges that I got on our 45 sq. feet of honed Virginia Mist. This includes measurement, fabrication and installation with eased and polished edges, no back splash, and one farm sink cut is:

1. $4,026.00

2. $3,052.38

3. Two came in around $3,600-3,700.00

4. $4,184.00

5. $6,095.00

To be fair, the last one said they wouldn't do eased edges without a backsplash-even though that is what I want because their company only does "high end" countertops and my request wouldn't reflect their normal work. Well la te da lady.

Comments (5)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Just wanted to comment on the la te da lady. Business must be good for her.

I just got back from the fabricator I used for my kitchen.

***sigh***

Anyway, I was helping a friend pick out granite. I asked the one guy there how business was going and he told me slower than they would like. They are a great company who does excellent work. So it really seems surprising that in today's economy any company would actually tell you that they wouldn't want your job because of the edge you choose.

I really based my decision on seeing the examples of their work. I was in there a lot checking things out and I always felt very comfortable. I probably didn't do it the right way, but I really was very happy with my decision. As I'm telling my friend who is looking right now, don't make the decision based on the free sink, etc. Any fabricator/stone yard can get their hands on the same stones, it is more a question of who does the best work. It is a quality of job thing. So, ask around, ask them to see work they have done. Look at those seams, look and see how they handle the pattern of the granite, etc.

Word of mouth is the best thing you can refer to.

Good Luck.

• kbmboston
    13 years ago

I went into 3 places to talk to people and then got quotes from 2 of those and two others that I had not actually been in person yet. 2 of the 3 places I went to basically said, hi, go look at the granites yourself, then I can give you general prices on what you are looking at and a more detailed quote when I see you plan. The 3rd place spent a lot of time with me, asked me detailed questions about my style, the style of my kitchen, etc. I loved her( the saleswomen and the company's(I met the manager and others while there) customer service. When I called for a direct quote and sent in my plan, I hinted I was shopping around. They agreed to meet others quotes. The lowest quote I got was from the other place I went to visit. The owner is who I met with. He barely said anything to me. The good customer service place matched their quote. I was very excited. (Also another GW poster recommended the place I ended up using).

Hope that is somewhat helpful. My quotes were between $2,600 and 6,000. The $6,000 quote later called and followed up with me.

• senator13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bee's-I thought the same thing. I deleted her message right away because I was so annoyed, but I kinda wish I had kept it now for the laugh. I felt like saying, "listen lady, I am not easily shamed into doing anything so back off."

Kb, thanks for that feedback. The lowest quote did come from a place someone else had recommended, and I have had good interactions with them so far. My only hesitation was that they were $700.00 lower than the "average" quotes I got. However, it is just hard to tell at what point to are getting a bargain vs. relative costs. Our plumber, who is the best in the county, is charging us about $1200 less than the next best guy. Same with the well driller. So I don't know why I feel more trepitation to go with the lowest quote since I feel good about the company anyway.

• billp1
    13 years ago

Ask them what method they use to measure. Laser, Tape measure,
    Template. If they use tape measure waive them off. Ask about seam, where and why. How much for cut outs,sink and stove top...

• senator13
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Billp1-thanks for that. I asked and here is the response I got from the one I am most likely going to go with:

We use a pro-liner machine[laser] to ensure correct measurements are taken.

The seams will be discussed between you and our measurement tech while he is at your home. Final seam locations are determined by the Fabrication Manager with the input of you and the measurement tech.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler