Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bklyncat58

how do I relax

bklyncat58
10 years ago

just got my granite installed on Thursday. the sink and dishwasher were hooked up today. I got the tan brown granite which I love but I know its not the most expensive out there. but I feel like I'm babying it do I have to baby it. before this just had old formica and I cleaned and scrub it to death. I bought some Weiman granite cleaner and I've cleaned it about three times. my husband spilled some coffee grounds on it and it almost killed me. and does anybody have homemade granite cleaners . at this rate I will go broke just buying cleaners .

Comments (20)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You're babying a rock that's been through tremendous earth processes! Were you one of those who had a pet rock in the 70s? ;)

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Why are you babying it? I have the same stuff, I think - Tropic Brown. I don't use ammonia/windex on it, since that might ruin the sealer. Although supposedly this stuff didn't *need* sealer. I use whatever granite/stone cleaner I happen to have. It seems perfectly fine to me...the point of buying granite seems to be that it's durable, so why not take advantage of that durability?

• eam44
    10 years ago

May is right as usual.

The stone works for you, you don't work for the stone. But you know all that. Truth is, familiarity breeds contempt. You're babying it because it's new. You'll get over it. Start reading the karin_mt counter top geology posts! or email her. She's awesome and she'll let you know how to figure out what (if anything) might be a problem for your particular stone.

From a brain perspective, you are in hyper vigilance mode, which is exactly what is required to pull together a beautiful kitchen. It'll take a little time to transition into normalcy. Exercise helps. So does transference. Start doing your taxes :)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

By the time the first bottle of cleaner is empty you will be more relaxed and just cleaning as needed. A microfiber cloth and just plain water works great on granite.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I might be doing it all wrong, but I've been using a wet dishcloth with just a bit of dishwashing liquid. Now, the induction cooktop? I'm using the creamy cleanser/conditioner with it as it seems to need it, but that's getting the same wet dishcloth/dishwashing liquid treatment too often with a follow up dry towel. Silgranit sink...I bought and have used the Blanco cleanser suggested for it sometimes, but other times, just hot soapy water.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I have quartz counters that I only clean with water+Dawn and a microfiber cloth, a damp sponge, and occasionally a Pledge cloth, just to give it a treat. I don't cut on it or put red hot things on it, but other than that, I don't take extra care. I do stand on it occasionally.

Where I was super hyper-vigilant for a long time was with my painted cabs. I was positive the slightest touch would result in deep scratches and chips. Two years later it looks like the day it went in, give or take the microscopic pinhole from one of my cats who will remain nameless.

I've relaxed. Not only will the kitchen hold up, but you will be able to put things into better perspective. Your kitchen is there to serve YOU, not the other way around.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Pictures please of the 'new born' !

• poohpup
    10 years ago

Don't bother buying the granite cleaners. Use 1/3 alcohol and 2/3 water. Put it in a spray bottle and it is pennies to make. Some people add a drop of lavender oil but I don't. Makes the granite shine!

• schicksal
    10 years ago

I think the preferred method of relaxing on this board is wine. I picked up some cheesecake flavored kind at Public and it's quite good for that...

• Majra
    10 years ago

I think a moderate approach would be to use a soapy sponge for daily clean-ups, and your granite product every two weeks.

• bklyncat58
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know how to post pics. the pics are on my phone.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Upload the photos to a service like photobucket.

While a soapy microfiber cloth will do well for daily clean up you might find you need something more once it a while.

I use Pledge multi-surface. Our fabricator gave me some super fine steel wool. Said to use it on the granite anytime I wanted to give it a good scrubbing and make it really shine. I have only done that twice in a year and half but it does make a difference. He also said to go easy on the rubbing alcohol because it will break down the sealer. I have White Diamond in the kitchen so the sealer is important. I have Steel Gray in the bathroom with no sealer so I use rubbing alcohol all the time.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 11:44

• ardcp
    10 years ago

i was told yesterday by the granite place to just use soap and water for clean up. that is perfect since it's how i have cleaned my formica for 15 years! your counters don't need to be disinfected unless you eat straight off them(i always use a plate for everything) i am going with a light color but they did say that the darker stones are pretty much stain proof and some like uba tuba, they don't seal since it won't absorb it. tan brown is quite dark so don't worry about stains!

• farmhousemom
    10 years ago

I have tan brown as well, and I promise that granite does not need to be babied. Tan brown is a dark granite, meaning it's more dense than lighter granites and does not need sealing; it won't absorb oil, stains, etc.

We have four kids - three of them boys, so I promise our counters have all kinds of spills on them, many which sit for several hours before getting wiped off. After 15 months we still have no stains, and I do not baby the counters at all.

For cleaning, I use the glass cleaner that comes in a spray can from Sam's (it's ammonia free). I just learned about the alcohol/water/lavender oil spray suggestion, so I will try that soon.

Congratulations on the new counters!

• dilzy
    10 years ago

I've had Emerald Pearl for 7 years and never use anything besides mild dish soap, sponge and wet towel. I chop up lemon, steak, beets, you name it, directly on the counter. It has survived my daily cooking from scratch, a husband who is not familiar with the concept of Put Dirty Dishes In The Sink and Please Wipe It When You're Done, and 2 little kids, still looks as good as the day it was installed. Granted it's darker than yours but probably more porous because of the shimmery specks. Relax and enjoy your new kitchen, it's definitely much more easy to deal with than formica. Congrats on your new space!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I just use a damp cloth or a cloth and soapy water ... It's still shiny after over a year.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Usually just use a damp paper towel to wipe up the crumbs, but I use Lysol kitchen cleaner or Clorox cleaner with bleach after preparing raw meats. Never had a problem with my granites and do not baby them.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Fuhgeddaboudit fellow Brroklynite! Lol. I use 409 stone & steel or trader joes cleaner for every day clean ups. They don't have this type of 409 at my supermarket. I get it at Home Depot $4.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Method cleaner in grapefruit scent smells fresh and has never ruined any of the granite counters. Relax!!!

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

"It's a rock!" is what I have to keep telling myself.

My new River White granite and split-face marble backsplash were stress-tested this weekend during a dinner party with about 40 guests. We had red wine, balsamic vinegar, and greasy Italian beef au jus everywhere. The stone still looked like new in the morning :)