Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Pull-outs in pantry cabinet - how wide are your pull-outs?

seosmp
11 years ago

Hi!

I'm getting pantry cabinets with pull-outs. In the diagram I just got from the cabinetmaker, it looks like I'm losing 8" by using pull-outs.

Is this normal? Or is he perhaps using some kind of mechanism which uses/wastes more space?

18" cabinet -> 10" pull-out
30" cabinet -> 22" pullout

I just want to know if I should request a different mechanism be used to not lose so much space.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

That seems like a LOT of wasted space! I used Accuride side guides, which need 1/2" clearance on each side. 16" opening, 15" pull out, = 14" inside drawer width dimension. Built this pantry 27 years ago, guides still working smoothly.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

First question--what kind of cabs are you using? Framed, frameless, inset, etc.?

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

Also, I went with full 24" long guides and drawer boxes, many cabinet makers use 22" guides and boxes. This gained me 28 sq. inches per drawer x 6 = 168 sq. in. total, which is like another half drawer of storage space!

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies....

I believe they are framed cabinets but w/o the center stiles in most of the cabinets. Would this make sense?

Maybe that's why? The pull-out has to fit within the frame?

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Good question! There are SO many things to think about, that really by the end sometimes I think many of us end up aware of so many details...way more than the average person, even your average contractor...etc.

I just measured my pullouts. As cyycdm stated, my drawers are only 22" long, but DH installed them (we did most of the kitchen DIY), and he placed them further back (than you see in her photo). They are full extension, so you can still access every square inch, but being a bit further back allows for extra stuffing overflow of bags, etc on shelves! LOL

My frameless doors don't completely clear the sides of the cabinet frame, so the carpenter had to supply 1" bumpers for the side where the door is attached, so the drawer can clear the door, I'm sure you need the same thing, only in framed, you will need those bumpers on both sides, so a loss of 2" there. My slides only take up 1/4", so there is a total of 1 1/2" wasted space, my pullouts are 15 1/2" wide for an 18" pantry. Believe it or not these had to be built 3 times before they fit...no wonder my kitchen company went bankrupt (the day my new granite was to be installed, BTW)

I would question why so much space needs to be lost, that seems wasteful to me.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

I just emailed him asking, and he said the picture wasn't completely updated, so it didn't reflect the actual width. He said the drawer will be wide enough just to clear the sides.... so I think it should be ok..... I've asked for measurements from a friend who used this person as well to see what they look like.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

My pullout pantry cabinet has an outside width of 18 inches. It is a framed cabinet. The width between the frames sides is 15 inches. The actuall pullout drawer is 14 x22. The inside measurements for the drawer are 13 x 20. You can see from the picture below that the construction of the drawer front contributes to the decreased inside length.
    {{!gwi}}