Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wkate640

ideas for left over granite

wkate640
11 years ago

I tried to look at previous posts but there are at least 8 pages. We have cut outs from two sinks (one prep and one 30"). Other than a lazy susan or a small table, what else can we do with these?

Comments (16)

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Is the lazy Susan idea the same as a cutting board? I know of friends who've made their sink cutout into one.

• Tim Sutherland
    11 years ago

I wouldn't cut on it as it will not be good for the knife.

I have seen the cut outs cleaned up and used as platters/cheese boards.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Shower seat?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Maybe a DIY granite topped beverage cart? Don't know where you live, but I'd like something like that for outside on my patio. I hope to repurpose my old granite for a desk countertop and a barbeque island, but not sure if I'll have enough to do the latter without weird seams.
    Do you know if granite slab can be cut thinner for tiles? I wouldn't want granite tile in my kitchen, but wouldn't mind it one the barbeque. Maybe too labor intensive to be economical though.

Need any granite windowsills or shelves?

• kgolby
    11 years ago

@timdeb, that's good to know about the knives. I need to pass this on to my friends.

• lucy0214
    11 years ago

My fabricator made me a small square ( about 1sq ft). He said I could take pots off the stove and things out of the oven and set them directly on it. It would also help cool anything faster.

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Our fabricator made this small cheese board and added rubber legs, I think he does these for all of his jobs. I'll likely keep my salt and pepper grinders, olive oil and wine opener/stopper on it.

Here's a picture....

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

bowyer123 that granite is gorgeous, what is it? Lovely!
    We used our left over granite for a top on a furniture piece. I would like to have a smaller piece of it for a cutting board, my knives for the most part are low end so I don't care. I only have one magnificent knife. A Friedrich Dick knife made in Germany. I baby that beast! But all the others, not a big deal.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Those small cheese boards weigh quite a bit. I can't imagine any type of anything else made from the scraps that is actually usable. Just hauling it out of storage and putting it back equals a gym workout.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I would use it for stepping stones down the slippery hill that we live on.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Wouldn't that make it even more slippery desert dance?

• bowyer123
    11 years ago

Thank you, SaraKat. It was sold as Delicatus Juparana.

It is very heavy, but it will likely stay in one spot. I'm going to replace an old cutting board that held my s/p, olive oil, etc. I would never use granite a a cutting board, it will ruin your knives and would be dangerous as well.

• naturalmom
    11 years ago

I have had an idea for leftover granite for a while: pizza stone! Granite retains heat excellently, and is what they use for the pizza oven floors at places like Bertucci's. If you don't have a big enough slab to build an outdoor oven around (there are directions online), you could just have it cut to the largest size you can still lift and use it in your oven for a baking surface.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

We had it cut to fit the bathroom shelve so the kids would have a place to set their hot hair straightners.

• wkate640
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow--great ideas. Thank you so much everyone! We're building a large cart to hold our big green egg grill and think (at least right now) we'll put the larger piece on the right side of the cart in the prep area. The other, smaller piece may become a lazy susan.

• magdiego
    11 years ago

We used the remainders of our slabs for the surround and hearth for our fireplace - here's a look at the kitchen:

And the fireplace:

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!