Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robtish

36' hood over 30' range?

robtish
13 years ago

I'd like to get a range hood like this to put over my 30" range:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/GXI6536DXS.html

Problem is, it has to be an island mount (not a wall mount) and most of those come in 36" width or more.

So my question is, will a 36" hood look odd over a 30" range?

Comments (15)

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Your hood should be 6 inches larger than your range. You should not put a 30" hood over a 30" inch range. A 36" hood will be just right.

• jgopp
    13 years ago

I have a 42 over my 36 range. Looks great and has amazing capture.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Bigger is Better.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

I have a 36" over a 30" range top. When the current hood motor dies, I plan on replacing it with a 48"! Bigger is better, as BKF said.

• sayde
    13 years ago

My hood is 40 inches over a 3 inch range. But it is a dome shape so it tapers to about 22 wide at the top. Therefore it doesn't look as massive as it would if, for example, it were a barrel that would be the same width top and bottom. The shape of the hood is part of the equation along with the width. If it tapers I think you can go wider at the bottom.

• weissman
    13 years ago

>>>My hood is 40 inches over a 3 inch range.

I'll bet that looks strange. I didn't even know they made 3 inch ranges :-)

• bagpipers
    13 years ago

How is this for big, we are are going 76" over a 30"

Here are some photos of the Cabs getting ready for shipping for next week

Drawing

Range - viewing underneath with the back on bottom

Base Cabs - 6 Pull Out Drawers

Right of Range - Spice Rack/Trash - Closed

Banquette

Banquette

• sweetandrew
    13 years ago

That is what we're doing per my architect's recommendation.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

I have a 36 inch hood over a 36 inch range. The hood is a Vent-A-Hood Professional Series PRH9236SS600 CFM Magic Lung Blower, with the Equivalent of 900 CFM Power. I have cranked stir-fry's and used the grill and multiple burners and it is awesome - and very quiet. I love its low profile. Very happy with the purchase. I didn;t want a huge hood - the space wouldn't handle it and the VAH does the job without being big. Bigger isn't always better.

• francoise47
    13 years ago

I have a 36" chimney hood over a 30" range. It is the perfect size, from my point of view. It does not look out of scale and it has a great capture area.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

For an island, bigger is better! Ranges & cooktops in islands (or peninsulas) need even better venting than those against walls. There are more and stronger air currents over an island than against a wall...so you have to accommodate those air currents. This means a hood at least 6" wider than your range/cooktop and at least 24" deep (27" is even better). If you plan to mount your hood higher than the recommended height (which many people do b/c they don't want to "spoil their view"), then also get a stronger fan so you have a better chance of capturing the effluent (i.e., smoke, steam, grease, long-term odors, etc.) before it escapes into the rest of your house...probably 900 to 1000-cfms, at least. (BTW...the strong the fan, the lower the setting you have to use on a daily basis...and the quieter it will be b/c you're running it on a lower setting.)

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

Haha boxerpups :)

We put a 36 inch hood over a 30 inch range and we're very pleased with how it works *and* looks.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Don't help yourself Boxer. I love that 3" hood! Oouuhaaa, and that chandy! ;)

I'm doing a 42" hood over a 36" rangetop.

• PRO
    30 Degrees North
    6 years ago

Great Thread. Very helpful. I'm looking into having a custom island hood vent made. Apparently the cost difference is negligible.