Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybrowneyedgirls

Is this light green subway tile too 'taste specific' for resale?

mybrowneyedgirls
15 years ago

I've been searching for a tile for the BS for quite some time now (like 8 months). I have had a hard time finding one that blends and doesn't compete with the verde butterfly granite.

I saw a light green subway tile that pfmastin posted a couple weeks ago. I really like it, but I wonder if it is too "taste specific" for resale, or if it would be too much green with the verde butterfly counters (which are a dark green, almost black from a distance, with chunks of various shades of green, ranging from very dark to light green with small chunks of grey-ish white to beige-ish white, which ties into the white cabs). We plan to move in a couple of years, so I want to choose a tile that I like as well as one that is universally appealing. I could also get this same tile in a beige color, which is also nice (and safe).

Please tell me what you think. Would I regret using this tile when it comes time to sell?

Pfmastin, I hope you don't mind me using your pictures for reference :) Here are 2 pictures of this tile. The third picture is a sample of the granite (roll over to enlarge). Thanks in advance, you guys are always so helpful.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/PFMastin/?action=view¤t=PerlatoGraniteFormica-1.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/PFMastin/?action=view¤t=Tile-1.jpg

http://www.italianstones.com/GRANITE-VerdeButterfly.HTM

Comments (15)

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, the first 2 links to pfmastin's pictures aren't working. Here is a link to her original post, and if you click on the picture at the very bottom of the post, it will take you to her photobucket that will show some more pictures of it. Sorry to be a pain, guys. Thanks again.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg011243576282.html

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Sometimes 'too safe' is just too boring!
    I think those pale green subways are gorgeous and are something most people would really like.

• jen19083
    15 years ago

I like the green subway tiles. I don't view them as being too "taste specific."

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I'm very biased because I have a ming green marble backsplash. It isn't subway but is a long skinny rectangle. I've gotten more compliments on my backsplash than anything else in the kitchen. Mine is more contemporary feeling because of the shape whereas I think your subway shape is more mainstream appealing. FWIW, here is a picture of mine:

Ming Green 2 x 12 backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• lexluthor
    15 years ago

nomorebluekitchen, that's pretty interesting.

We have similar color cabinets and verde peacock granite (I can't tell if yours is black or dark green) and a beige tile floor. We'll be needing to decide on the backsplash in the next week or 2. Not sure if we'd really go for the ming green, but it's very interesting with that combination.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think that in most cases, if it's something you find attractive, future buyers probably will, too. You can't guess what every potential buyer will like. Make it, overall, a lovely and attractive kitchen, whose elements work together, and it'll be a winner and a positive in a home for sale. Something more special like that can help it stand out (in a good way) in a buyer's mind.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

mybrowneyedgirls,
    Let me know if you want me to post the photos again.
    Pam

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I didn't see the link.
    Pam

• debsan
    15 years ago

This tile doesn't seem very green. In fact, it has a "neutral" quality about it. If you like it you should go for it--unless you plan to sell very soon.
    When I bought this house, one of the first things I did was rip out the beautiful imported italian tile that the former owners had been so proud of. It was dreary and dark to me. Meanwhile, the owners of the house I'd just sold were busy ripping out the fabulous tropical landscaping I'd labored over. (They redid the yard with sparkly white rock after removing all the hibiscus, bird of paradise, cannas, orchids and palms.) Go figure!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

If that's what you want, I would go for it in a heartbeat. It's pretty close to being neutral without being too boring.

Like Debsan, the owners of our last house tore up the landscaping in our front yard (I am a gardener, and without being biased it was a pretty spectacular yard), tore down the custom lattice fence and arbors that DH had made- very classy and very well-made, ripped out the Japanese style garden on one side and the raised vegetable garden beds on the other side- put in grass in the front- put up a chain link fence and parked a trailer on one side and I was too heart-broken to even look at the other side... I visited once, and have never been back.

Do what you are going to enjoy and love- that pale green certainly wouldn't turn anyone 'off'.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I'm laughing because these two posts above me are so true about how each owner changes the things the prior owner put in and LOVED.

If you plan on living in your house for at least 5 years, I'd put in what ever it is YOU love. Fashions change regularly so when you sell someone will either buy because they have similar taste OR they'll buy and redo it the way they like.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I would use what you like.

All those real estate shows have scared people to death that anything with "personality" is out.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

No such thing as universally appealing. I would wager that at least 1\2 the things they do on shows like "The House Doctor" and "Selling Houses" get ripped out by the new owners. However like the gardens mentioned above those changes still help sell the house - "look at all those gorgeous gardens wouldn't the trailer look good on top of that one" versus "what sort of troll lives in the over grown nettle outback and where will we put the trailer". Your great kitchen with the soft green backsplash makes it easier for the next owner to see that she can have her own great kitchen in that space (chances of your great kitchen being the next owner's are probably pretty slim).

They are pretty tiles you should go for it.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol, caryscott. You are probably right. And thanks for making me laugh. I guess I tend to overthink these things. Especially when I have my MIL (who's a realtor) always looking over my shoulder saying to go neutral. But I'm being brave--I'm going to Florida Tile pick up a sample tomorrow. Crossing my fingers...

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I really like that pale green tile...and I have reason to be turned off by green tile!

I bought my house with the original 1962 seafoam green tile in the master bath. The realtor pointed out the tile as a feature: "Look at how beautiful this original tile is -- they don't make it this thick and substantial anymore, and it's in great shape!" I didn't love the color, but so what? The location of the house was great, the neighborhood and schools excellent, the lot was just what we wanted, and the price was right...after all the months we looked for a house, it would have been silly to turn this one down because of tile.

Of course, that was 15 years ago, and things are different now...but there are probably still people who are primarily concerned w/ things like location, schools, etc. Who knows what the market will be like in 5 years?