Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawfeegirl_gw

I wish I saw this before I started my kitchen...

cawfeegirl
14 years ago

Hi everyone...I thought this was a great idea. She basically helps you decide on your kitchen elements (cabinet color, countertops, paint, tile, etc.) and then you can purchase a bag of samples of these elements from the style and/or color palette that you pick!

Im putting the web address here because for some reason its not letting me post it below in the link box.

www.designinabag.com

Comments (22)

• tracie.erin
    14 years ago

I like it. I have a hard time pulling things together so this is great for me :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

> for some reason its not letting me post it below in the link box

It's because you don't have the whole address. You need the http part, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: design in a bag

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

writersblock: Hmmmm...I actually DID do the http part and it still wouldnt let me! (I copy and pasted right off the browser) Weird...

Thanks, though!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

It has no www in it, you know. Maybe that was it.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

This is really fun. Selecting a backsplash is not even on my radar yet so it was nice for me to see what is out there. It is nice seeing it all in a nice little package.

• rookie_2010
    14 years ago

Oh thank you, thank you!!!!
    I could just cry from the relief as I have yet to choose a backsplash but I just tortured myself and my tile installer over 3 bathrooms, I had a terrible, terrible time putting things together........

Very surprisingly, my saving grace was actually Ann Sacks. I ultimately ordered mosaics as accents. I found it more manageable to choose an accent and then the field tile around it. I called Ann Sacks on the phone, never went there, and had sample boards overnighted to me immediately. I just had to send them back after I matched them up to my other selections. The customer service was outstanding, everything via mail and e-mail. It was cheaper than designinabag.com but I still had to put the "palettes" together and that was really hard for me!!!!

Oh designinabag.com, where were you when I needed you most?!!!!!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

This is awesome! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm finished with my choices... tile went on today! But I have a friend who is just starting the process and she will LOVE this! Thanks for posting

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL rookie! I know!! I was actually looking to see what countertop she had with my color cabinet and its NOWHERE near what I picked! Scared me a little bit...

Altagirl, Gonna post those pics soon, right?? :)

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

When you begin a thread the link has to be entered in the corrections form box in step two below the submit message button. Then hit preview message once more, then hit submit message.

• prill
    14 years ago

I wish I saw the backsplash tile on that website that looks like a quilt. Exactly what I was looking for but never found. Wonder what it is.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

Wow! Add me to the list of those who wish they'd seen this months ago! Great resource.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?

Kitchen-in-a-can?

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Thank you, sweeby. The next might sound snarky, but it isn't intended.

What is design for? It isn't like this company's choices are unattractive or anything. And its a heck of a lot easier than being tortured by insecurity when I'm planning stuff out or roasted with frustration by going to 5 different paint stores and still finding nothing.

I'm not anywhere near the level of design and color sophistication in their palettes. But somehow, this looks like target to me. Where the plates are exactly the same as last year's plates, but re-glazed in new and exciting shades from Pantone and patterns are vintage to (I think they've hit the 1970's) the decade of fashion chosen at the triennial marketing conference.

There is nothing wrong with target design, but it isn't original or personal. My house would be much prettier if I had personalized assistance from a professional(right after we win the lottery). Who knows, it might even be prettier using target designs.

What is home decorating supposed to be? If it looks pretty but doesn't reflect you, is it good?

• tracie.erin
    14 years ago

These palettes are a good starting point for me. I will use the one I like as inspiration, so my kitchen will definitely reflect me in the end. Even if I copied it exactly, if I love it and it's exactly what I was looking for, doesn't it still reflect me? My tastes?

Those who can, do. Those who can't, need some help ;) I am AWFUL when given a blank slate. I like too many flashy items and would end up with a tacky mess.

• chipongo
    14 years ago

I think this is really interesting. I found this site (GW) after I was too far into the process to make any significant changes to my choices. I wonder, had I found it sooner, if I would have ended up doing something quite different--based both on the sage advice here, but also on current design trends (which I think are apparent in many of the posts). When I look at the "design-in-a bag" kitchens, I am drawn to something quite different than what I chose. Is my kitchen more a reflection of "me," because I based my choices on what appealed to me without the influence of others? Or would I have felt even better about my choices, knowing that they were chosen with the insight and influence of others, who know a lot more about design than I do? I don't know the answer... (but, so far, I am happy with the way my kitchen is coming together--phew!)

• cawfeegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well...maybe its for SOME people and not others. For people like me, who have ADD, walking into a tile store or paint store is very overwhelming. I THINK I know what I want, but then--OH LOOK AT THAT!--I see something else that captures my eye. And then something else and something else.....So it's better for someone to narrow the choices down for me...And yes, if I could afford an interior designer, that would be awesome, but alas, I cannot.
    Like tracie said-if, in the end, it reflects my taste and I love it, isnt that ok?

• kitchenlab
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!Rebekah from Design in a Bag and KitchenLab here.
    First I want to say thanks to cawfeegirl posting your response to Design in a Bag on this forum...I fell upon this forum and it's so amazing to see everyone's remarks and feedback. I'm glad most of you seem to like the idea, and the criticisms are noted as well! We love hearing about your reactions and aim to keep improving the website and the bag collections. If anyone has any questions we'd be happy to answer them! We love tracie.erin's comments suggesting what makes each kitchen unique is the homeowner first and foremost and each collection is really meant to be a jumping-off point to help bring it altogether and give homeowners an extra boost of confidence when making selections. Plus, each kitchen and bath is often unique in its own way in terms of layout, so between the 'you' factor and the room's bones, each kitchen/bath has it's own unique fingerprint no matter what finishes you use.
    Thanks and keep checking in - we're going to be running some giveaway contests soon giving away bags of your choice to each winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Design in a Bag

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Hi All, I didn't realize that Design in a Bag (a site I learned about a few months ago on Gardenweb, I think) was created by the Rebekah from Kitchenlab. Thanks for letting us know, Rebekah.

I stumbled onto the Kitchenlab website a few weeks ago and was blown away by the beautiful kitchens. Some of the kitchens on the Kitchenlab site are very high end; but many are exactly the kind of warm, inviting, lived in, roll up your sleeves and cook, vintage, but not cloying, kitchens many on this site seem to dream of. Kitchenlab makes me wish I lived in Chicago instead of NJ!

I also love the design in a bag idea and the color/texture/material ideas are beautiful. Now that I know the Kitchenlab/Design in a Bag connection, I'm even more interested in Design in a Bag. What a great idea -- and so well executed.

• kitchenlab
    14 years ago

Thanks so much francoise47! Comments like yours make us feel like people get us and what we care about! Kitchens, cooking, what else? We really appreciate the kind words!

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

The combinations are lovely but there is white marble in over half of the combinations? I'd like to see some other light colored counter materials. Don't remember seeing wood counters either.

• kitchenlab
    14 years ago

To scrappy25, you're so right, our collections are a bit unbalances at the moment. We'll be adding new bag combinations with more granite options this weekend, light and dark, and some other natural wood options - so be sure check back in!

• kitchenlab
    14 years ago

By the way, everyone, we just launched a giveaway contest. Check it out if you're interested. http://designinabag.com/blog/