Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Range hood over uneven stone backsplash

Posted by JStephens11 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 12:14

I'm installing a ledgestone back-splash behind my range. I will be applying multiple coats of stone sealer to help protect against grease splatter. Attached is a picture showing the portion of the back-splash I've already installed and the range hood I'll be installing over the range.

The problem I'm having is that the ledgestone has random thicknesses with a tolerance of approximately +/-3/16". When I install the range hood on the ledgestone I want it to sit flush, or at least even on the back-splash.

I would like to install the back-splash before the range hood, in case the hood ever breaks. I do not want to search for a replacement that fits in the exact location. There is also a tempered glass top on the hood, so that would be a nightmare to try to install the back-splash around.

One idea I've considered is attaching strapping to the wall behind the chimney and fan section of the range hood to bump that out 1/2" (approx. thickness of back-splash). Then the range hood would float over the back-splash.

Or I could just install the range hood and then the back-splash around the hood, but like I said above that would be a pain.

Does anyone have any experience doing this or other recommendations for how I should go about installing my back-splash / range hood?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Range hood over uneven stone backsplash

Range hood first, then tile up to it would be the easiest. It's what I'm doing with a full height granite backsplash It's "lipping" over the insert just slightly.

o
RE: Range hood over uneven stone backsplash

Hi Live Wire,

I've been told by multiple sources that you should do the backsplash and then the hood. I'm not really looking for the easiest solution, I'm looking for the best solution. Thank you for the response though.

Any other recommendations?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here