grlwprls

Floral Tile Mini-Reveal

grlwprls
11 years ago

Before grout:

After grout:

Where tile meets the ceiling (SW Mountain Air):

And a tight detail shot behind the prep sink:

Sorry for the somewhat lousy iPhone quality pictures. We have to do a small ceiling repair tomorrow so the tiles are about a sheet and half shy of the ceiling (temporarily) behind the stove. They cover this entire wall and are the focal point of the entire kitchen. I'm so excited!

Comments (46)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Beautiful !!! Perfect with your counter top and love the brass faucet with it.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

That looks so pretty with your countertop and fixtures, what a unique and different choice!

• deedles
    11 years ago

OH my goodness! That is gorgeous tile! I think that is just beautiful and I love it with the brass faucet! So perfect.

Gosh, that's pretty!

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I'm using the carrara version of this tile in my powder room.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks like a great choice! Can't wait to see the finished pics. I love the grout color you picked with it too.

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Ohhh! YAY! I have been *waiting* for you to get that back splash up since you first posted your choices. ;-)

It looks so good - love it! Can't wait to see the BIG reveal, although the mini reveal was also gratifying. Thanks for not making us wait until the very end to share.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Sweet!

• localeater
    11 years ago

Gorgeous. Can't wait to see more.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

I love it! I *want* to do something a little crazy for the backsplash but I'm not sure I'm going to have the guts. Your posts are inspiring to me!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

LOVE IT!!! That is gorgeous tile, thanks for posting. (Going back now to look again...)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

PS laurajane02... Carrera version? Would love to see pictures of this too.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

That is very very cool looking. Hopefully you'll post big pics of the kitchen soon as I'd love to see an all-over pic of the tile.

• msrose
    11 years ago

It looks so good! I never even considered this color, but I was able to see all the colors in person earlier today and this one acutally looks good with my granite. What is your granite?

Laurajane - When are you getting yours? Can't wait to see some more pictures of it installed? Is it the crema marfil?

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 16:08

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

So unique and very nice choices. Congrats!

• teeda
    11 years ago

So beautiful yet relaxed. I love your style!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Wow I love that.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Yep, it's as gorgeous as I thought it would be!!
    Could you stand further back and take a distance pic of it when you get a chance? Would love to see the effect.
    Congrats!!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Awwww Grlwprls, that is beautiful. I now know we made the right choice. Looking forward to the full reveal!!!

• msrose
    11 years ago

grlwprls & hobokenkitchen - Can you tell me which ebay seller has a good price on it? The only one I can find is $214 for 5 sheets.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Search for 'flower mosaic tile Florida'

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

That's just plain yummy!! I love how it compliments the corian and sets off the prep sink faucet. Please hurry with the rest of the kitchen pics. Your teasing is too much. ;)

• juliet11
    11 years ago

I love that tile - it looks beautiful in your kitchen! You picked a great shade of grout too.

• HammerMom
    11 years ago

I like!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I'm embarrassed to admit that grout is just Polyblend bright white from the Home Depot. All the other white(ish) options looked dirty or clashed with the tones in the tile and I might have just been burned out on decision making - especially since that was the day my contractor told me that when we, on the fly, modified the sink base cabinet to make up for the not quite 45 degree clipped corner that made my measurement calculation for the range run off by 2 3/4" we completely spaced on adjusting the vent hood (36" over the 30" range) over so it stayed centered on the range. Oh, and then there's a floor joist for the second floor exactly where the pipe needs to land now.

So bright white grout it was - after crying in the car at the Home Depot, of course.

I've made a lot of bold choices for this house - some better received than others - so it was a huge sigh of relief when this one worked out exactly as I hoped it would.

I cannot wait until the end of the week to do a pretty big reveal. All the construction work will be done then, but the decorating will still be a work in progress.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Fantabulous tile.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In terms of a "wide view" this is the best I can do with my iPhone. I'm sure y'all won't mind the plastic drape for the drywall repair or the hole in the ceiling where they are moving the vent pipe over (and the tiles that are missing in that general vicinity), and the scribe molding that hasn't been installed, and the missing drawer fronts, and...

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I like how in the close-up my eye maintains the flower-shape predominate even after the grout. I'm attributing that to the orange color, which I am timid to say, since I haven't heard "orange" said by anyone.

While I have no plans to use this tile, I am enough of a fan that I find myself searching out information about it. The information seems scarce. Is this the larger format? And how does it compare to the smaller format? What's the scale? Or did I dream that up?

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The tones really range from a pale yellow to a deep gold. I really like how it helps tie together my Corian, brass, cabinet color, and oak flooring - while not matching any of it. I can see how on a computer monitor it might have some distinct orange (my oak floor is pretty orange-y).

I would say that each flower is about 1 3/4" (if I had to guess and I do because I think if I go in there and measure my contractor might just think I've gone completely around the bend) and each sheet is just shy of a square foot. I don't recall any smaller version, but I could be wrong.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

wow, that is so pretty! everything is coming together so beautifully. you have a true vision with regards to color! I cannot wait to see your reveal.

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

So lovely! How wonderful that it's as beautiful as imagined :)

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't following this thread!

Oldbat and Msrose ~ The version I'm getting is from Saltillo tiles (Same place that mpagmom got her sunflower mosaic - which I am also using!).

Oh, and I am paying a lot less than $214 for 5 sheets. I can't remember, but it's in the neighbourhood of $20/sq foot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Flower at Saltillo tiles

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I think I'm confusing your flower tile with the sunflower tile that mpagmom used. There is the intimation of two different sizes, because the pictures on the Saltillo website say "Large Sunflower" which implies there is a "small" sunflower.

Love the brass faucets. Unfortunately faucets are something I'm not willing to splurge on, maybe because my water is so hard on fixtures, so I'm glad to drool over yours.

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

onedogedie ~ Sorry if I was confusing. The Florida Flower and Sunflower mosaics are from the same supplier, but they are different tiles. You are right, there is a small sunflower and large sunflower (I have a sample of each).

• msrose
    11 years ago

Ok, I did a search on ebay and found the Florida flower for $19, but not the others colors by Mirage Tiles. If anyone finds a good deal on the others, please let me know.

This post was edited by msrose on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 17:30

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

msrose ~ No, sunflower comes in 2 sizes. Florida flower comes in 1 size. I'll link mpagmom's beautiful kitchen below.

Here's a photo with all of my samples:
    Top L: Small sunflower (carrara)
    Top R : Large sunflower (ming green)
    Bottom L (Florida flower in carrara)
    Bottom R: Ming green glass mix

Here is a link that might be useful: Mpagmom's finished kitchen

• msrose
    11 years ago

laurajane - I'm a visual person, so that's what I needed! They're all so pretty. So, you're using the one on the bottom left? When are you having it installed?

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

msrose ~ I'm glad you like them. Our tiling is starting within the next 2 weeks, but my Saltillo tiles will be the last ones to go in. I'm using the bottom L tile on my powder room floor, the top R tile in my master bath and kitchen, and the bottom R tile in the master bath and laundry room.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

grlwprls - thanks for the picture, so neat to see more of this tile. Love it in your space and am tempted to photoshop it in mine (bad old bat!)

laurajane02 - loved the link and close ups of the florida flower in carrera. I believe I too may just have the right spot calling out for this tile. I will look forward to your powder room reveal especially! (Hijack over, sorry!)

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Love it from a distance and you did great on the grout. I'm sure most of us have shed a tear here and there over our remodels. I know I have. In fact a flood of them while deal with d*ckhead (the nicest name I can come up with for our ex GC). Lol!

Msrose - I thought I had edited my eBay post straight away but I see it didn't work.

Also search for floral polished mosaic tile. This is pricier but they show a 'best offer' purchase option so maybe they would go for the $19/ sqft.

Oldbat2be - I too am eyeing this up as a potential floor option. It's $3/ sqft more expensive than our current choice and the bathroom is pretty big, but I love it - so pretty! All this hijacking is bad but actually a huge compliment to grlwprls as they say 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'!

Love the distance shot, thank you. It looks really lovely. Congratulations.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I am just coming back from traveling and saw your post on my phone but had to wait to see it on the computer before posting.
    That is gorgeous! I love your back splash and how it pulls your beautiful kitchen together. I love how it coordinates with your beautiful faucet - I might have missed who makes that faucet in the thread above.

Looking forward to your final reveal!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini,

Both the faucets are Newport Brass and they are not lacquered, I try to stick my hands on them (and the unlacquered brass knobs on the vintage cherry cabinets) as much as possible to hasten along the patina. LOL

hobokenkitchen, Our last renovation (a gut of an 1887 corner grocery store in New Orleans) was so fraught with peril and crime and tears...it was a real leap of faith to do another renovation. I think I ended up in tears because I just don't have a deep reserve well of calm in construction situations. I am always sure that my project is one second away from going completely off the rails. I read about your situation and I know, oh how I know. These scoundrels know just enough to stay on the right side of the door of the jailhouse. Thankfully, my new contractor - and all his subs - have been fabulous. His idea of "broom clean" is dusting my furniture at the end of the day ;-) If only I could afford him to do my second floor...

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

What lovely eye candy. I love the tile with your soft yellow cabinets and the corian countertops. Again, lovely.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

That turned out beautifully -- the tile goes so nicely with your other materials.

• User
    11 years ago

The brass faucets are gorgeous and blend so nicely with the tile. Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Grlwprls - we have to decide on a bathroom floor tile like yesterday for our upstairs guest bath.

The guy wants $25 inc shipping for a sample of this tile (am I the only one who thinks that's a lot for a sample???). I guess it's a full sheet, but I don't need a full sheet, I need a sample!

Anyway, did you happen to test it at all? If not and if you have a spare piece (and a spare moment), could you test a bit for me? Especially interested in if water leaves a mark, but curious about durability in a floor application and how the white especially would hold up.

Thanks!!!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoboken,

I responded in your decision thread.

L