Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Square corner wall cabinets vs blind corners

Posted by front (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 12:09

What are your thoughts on square wall corners? The ones with the hinge in the middle? It is 24x24. The other option is a blind corner. It will increase the size of the adjacent cabinets, but there will be the blind area which will not get much use.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Square corner wall cabinets vs blind corners

We opted to do a blind corner, in order to preserve the adj runs of cabinetry as drawer space along one leg or run, and as a tray cabinet on the other, right next to the range. We located the gas shut-off valve (required in our municipality) in the blind corner (accessible via a pull-out panel in the wall of the tray cabinet). This freed up all of drawer and cabinet space on either side of the range.

o

I think front is asking about uppers.

I have 2 easy-reach uppers in my kitchen, and I love them - tons better than the diagonal uppers I used to have. I wanted to get to the corner space.

My Mom had a blind corner in her kitchen, and made good use of it. Her house was built long before someone came up with the easy-reach idea. She was able to reach part-way into the blind part, and put things in the back she rarely used.

I think the decider would be how big the adjacent cabinet is, and what you plan to put there. I can't remember your dimensions exactly, but if you can eliminate a 12" upper cabinet with either option, you will come out ahead.

o

I love my square corner wall much more than the blind corner I used to have. I am able to make better use of space. It did dictate some of my layout based on spacing but I do not regret it.

o

With a blind corner, I got a 28" double-door cabinet instead of a 16" cabinet. I just want to open a door or pull out a drawer and not fiddle with two-piece hinged doors and roll-out shelves and Susans. It's only a 12" deep blind cabinet, not a black hole where things are never seen again. I stuff it with paper towel rolls and other odd tall things, like a box of cereal or tall bottles. The shelves in my other wall cabinets are spaced closer, so it gives me one cab for those items.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here