Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bblakeney

Marble Experts Please Advise

bblakeney
10 years ago

Choosing a countertop has proven to be the most difficult decision of my kitchen remodel. After much research and internal struggle, I settled on using absolute black granite, honed. I was a little nervous about this given the mixed reviews on water stains, finger prints, and such. I am a serious cook and my kitchen and counters get a real workout. Plus I have two small children who will definitely put any surface to the test.

Yesterday when I finally looked at stone, I found something I liked better than the absolute black. It was a honed marble called "Fort Stone". Most of the marbles I've seen are white with dark veins. This one was the opposite: dark grey with white veins. I've heard of Pietra Cordosa (sp?) in the gray tones, but never have heard of Fort Stone. Either has my fabricator. Also, I cannot find any mention of Fort Stone on GW or any other website for that matter.

Should I be nervous about this? Will the dark marble have the same drawbacks as the white marbles, such as etching, scratching and staining? The salesperson at the stone yard said that you only notice etching on polished surfaces, not honed. He also said they sell a very good sealer to help prevent stains -- even though the black marble will not show stains likes white marble.

I'm flying blind here - no info online to research. I really need someone with knowledge of this product who will give me accurate info. Any assistance is appreciated. Pictures attached.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Should I be nervous about this?"

Yes.

" Will the dark marble have the same drawbacks as the white marbles, such as etching, scratching and staining?"

Yes.

A serious cook with two small children. I can't think of a person barreling down the highway of disappointment faster than you.

There are so many other beautiful and practical choices available. Keep looking, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deep Sea

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 12:58

• bblakeney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for talking me down from the cliff. What about Virginia Mist honed granite?

• eam44
    10 years ago

You know, it's not about whether you're a serious cook or not. A lot of serious chefs use marble, and it can be a great surface for if you want a "living" surface (meaning one that will change over time and show wear). If you want your counters to look exactly the same twenty years from now as they do the day you install them, well, good luck. Every surface has it's drawbacks.

So, you haven't used the search feature on the site yet. It's pretty good. Look for the counter top geology posts by karin_mt. They are very informative. Good luck. Pick something you'll love.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I would suggest using google to find posts on this site. Just type gardenweb and what ever you are looking for.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Virginia Mist honed is a great choice and ought to be much more trouble-free than marble.

Agreed with above posters, dark marble will etch just the same as any other color, although I'm not sure how noticeable it is on a dark stone vs a light one. You could certainly try this out by bringing home a sample and doing some tests.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Hey karin! I keep pointing people in your direction. I love those posts. I've learned so much from you!

• mdln
    10 years ago

I love it and am going to try to find it in my area!

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Thanks EAM, I noticed that and I appreciate it! Glad to be helpful - it's fun to see how savvy GWers are now about the nuances of marble.

• bblakeney
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Karin_MT. I had hoped your response would be included among the other wonderful contributors. I became a fan of your post after being pointed there by EAM44. Although I love the marble, I think the VM is a better choice for my needs. MDLN: the FORT STONE marble pictured above was from a slab distributor called Ele Mar in Chantilly, VA. Thank you all again for your time.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Aww, thanks Gnocci! Good call on the stone too. We'll look forward to updates and a reveal at some point!

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Just Chiming in here.
    Virginia mist is a good choice-it is quite porous however and will need to be properly sealed.
    Make sure to get a sample and bring it home.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

If you like it get it and don't worry about it. Everything has something about it and once it's in your kitchen you get over it and live your life and don't worry about it that much. If I had it to do over again, I'd get exactly what I loved and not worry about anything. I think people worry about it too much to the point they get something they don't really like all that much. If it's white porous soft marble that could be different but that doesn't look like it's a problem. It's really pretty too : ) Good luck.

• jackson2348
    10 years ago

I was considering a honed limestone for our master bath. This is etching on a darker surface. I think on a white stone where there's only a difference in texture, not color, it's not as noticeable. I decided I couldn't live with it. YMMV.