Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Sink Suggestions Wanted

Carrie B
10 years ago

I'm planning a kitchen remodel, and trying to settle on a sink. I've got a small kitchen, don't cook much, and am 5'3" and live alone. I have not had a dishwasher, but believe that I will get an 18" one with re-model. Don't know if it's relevant, but I'm left-handed.

I know I want a single-bowl, under-mount sink, probably stainless. I will be going with recycled paper (richlite or paperstone) countertops. I will probably use the sink less once I've got the DW, but will probably still wash daily coffee mugs, etc. by hand. Also, the sink is used for hand-washing in from the garden door (just a few feet from the sink) many times a day in season.

My KD suggested Kohler's Stages sink (I'm assuming the 33" one, not the 45" based on my small 8' x 12' kitchen.) While I like that sink, it's over $1,000 and that seems extravagant to me. Plus, since I'm only 5'3", and the depth of the sink is almost 10" plus it would be undermount, I'm concerned that the bowl would be too deep for comfort.

I also think I might want a sink with rounded corners - I'm thinking that sharp corners would be hard to keep clean.

So, first, am I right that:

- The depth of Kohler stages for a short, non-cook (not washing a lot of big pots/pans) is too deep?

- Sharp corners are harder to keep clean?

Any recommendations for an affordable (less than $500, preferably not much more than $2-$300) sink that would be good for me?

Comments (11)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

I'd go with Kraus. We got the 32" version of the sink linked below and love it. Corners are rounded but still modern and easy to clean (unlike the sharper corners - at least that's what I've heard here). Comes with sink grid that raises bottom about an inch. We also ordered it from faucetdirect.com and they have been fantastic to work with (we ordered a number of items from build.com, their umbrella site). Oh, and it's only $370.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus sink

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, ck! And thanks for reminding me about faucetdirect - I've been looking at the local big box websites, and getting frustrated with the limited options.

• User
    10 years ago

I posted a similar query here a few weeks ago (linked below). In the end I settled on the Kraus 30" sink. It's deep though so it may not suit you, but some of the other suggestions might. One of the things I did was try to see some in person at plumbing showrooms. It will give you a sense of what looks/works best. I saw some very nice Blanco sinks without the zero radius thingy that seem to come in varying depths depending on your preference. Also just saw a super gorgeous Franke sink that I've been trying to track down just to be certain of my choice. I think it was a Kubus, and it had some nifty accessories like the Stages sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recent query on big sink for small space (and modest price)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I have the same Kraus 30" sink, I'm 5'2" and I like it (both looks and function. I will say, I don't spend much time at the sink though.

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

I am short. 4'11". I can't begin to tell you how much more comfortable my apron front sink is for me compared to any sink I have previously used. Even though mine is 10" deep, it doesn't feel deep at all, and I don't feel like I am reaching at all, ever. Mine is a stainless apron front, single bowl, in a 30" cabinet from the Julien Classic collection.

Now, Julien is expensive. But you can probably find something similar. I just wanted to point out that apron front is particularly short person friendly.

• Majra
    10 years ago

I'm 5'3" and love love love my 30" Kraus. It's my favorite thing in the kitchen! The depth is terrific and not at all difficult to reach. I have model KHU-100-30, which has a square look but ever-so-slightly curved corners, and a nicely rear-set drain. I bought it on amazon for about $350.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much!

Those look like some good ideas. I was initially planning to go with a sink around 24" (my current sink is only 16.5" round - yes, round!) and I love it, but it will need to go with the remodel. Am concerned that 30" might be too big - especially since I've got a small kitchen, and will (probably) have a DW, which I don't have now.

Decisions, decisions!

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

I think being your height makes a 10" deep sink easier! I'm 5'8"ish and a deep one kills my back after a while because I have to bend over to reach bottom, even with very long arms. The grate is very helpful! I have the Kraus 23" 16 gauge SS undermount and it is fine spacewise. I would have loved a bigger one, but it's all my layout could take. Cookie sheets fit flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: my sink

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I am delighted with my new sink below. We squeezed it into a 24" cabinet. It's single bowl with rounded corners, a rinse grid, and a nifty strainer basket. It's pretty deep and I am finding that really practical.

It is 304 stainless and Chinese-made, but seems to be good quality with nice soundproofing, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruvati Undermount 16 Gauge 25

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

The Kohler Stages sink is all about prepping food.

I chose a Franke Orca. It is simply gorgeous in person. The ledge and grids provide area area to let a few dishes dry, clean produce or whatever. The sink is deep, however I think the grids make a big difference.

There are lots of threads from this forum about Orca sinks, Google "Gardenweb Orca" to get a list, here is one thread which, if you scroll down you can see a photo of the a member's sink with her grids in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Orca

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I had the Orca in my previous home (and have a Kraus now - I wanted a "square" sink with near zero radius corners). I absolutely loved the Orca (looks and function), but I think it's too big for your space.