Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuggly

Sillies outlets

nuggly
12 years ago

This is my first time posting...I hope I do it right. Has anyone used Sillites electrical receptacles in their home? I saw these online somewhere and would like to used them in our new island, but I'm having a heck of a time finding them and getting info. Do they work well? How much do they cost? Are you happy with them? Thanks in advance.

Lulu

Comments (6)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I have two. Just google sillite, and the site comes up for more info and purchasing. I only knew for sure I needed one, but with the shipping costs, I bought two thinking that I could probably use a second one. Turns out I used both in the kitchen.

I'm happy with them. A sillite was a much better alternative than a regular duplex outlet on my peninsula because of the sightlines in my house. I have pics on the other computer I can pull up later today if you'd like.

I've seen some rumors around that they do not meet electrical code. I took the sillite paperwork to my city's electrical inspector who said as long as they are UL or NEC rated (they are both) they will pass. Jed never seen them before, but thought they were interesting.

HTH!

• splitrock
    12 years ago

I found them on the web and sent the link to my general contractor, who took it from there. They work well in my windowsills. They were a little stiff at first, but have loosened up nicely.
    http://www.sillites.com/newconstruction.php

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here are some pics.

This is the sillite I had planned for. Code requires one on the end of the peninsula. I schemed for a way to avoid cutting up the end panel to slap an ugly duplex there. The peninsula is viewable directly from the front door, living room, and family room. My inspector acquiesed to an outlet on the end of the fridge wall facing the peninsula end. A regular outlet would have been difficult to squeeze in a 2x4 stud, but the sillite's size made it perfect.

The painting has been completed in the area since this photo. That primed wall is now painted the same color as the cabinets so the end of it blends in nicely with the fridge panel. The sillilte is very unobtrusive now. *NOTE: in this photo the sillite wasn't completely screwed in. It does NOT hang out looking unfinished like it does here!

{{!gwi}}

Here's what I did under the island seating overhang with the second sillite I ordered.

• nuggly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies, and especially for the photos, Breezygirl. There are only 2 contacts in my area to purchase these, according to the Sillites website, and after repeated attempts and unreturned phone messages, I am going to contact the company directly. Your replies and pics have made me determined to not give up! Thanks again!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

From my understanding, they aren't readily available in stores. Everyone I've seen here purchase them does so online.

You're welcome for the pics. :-)

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

The Sillite website has a list of electrical suppliers who carry them. I had no problem buying from them but they didn't carry them in stock.