Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

In-progress pics- I know I am late posting them :)

amberley
14 years ago

I just snapped these. Template is being done and DR crown is going in.

The stained and hazelnut painted beadboard you see will all be painted a single color. We used leftovers from my parent's reno-and saved alot of money doing it!

The fridge box is wrong and will be rebuilt. Hopefully today.

The beam is where the wall between the kitchen and DR was.

Comments (20)

• pirula
    14 years ago

Wow. That is some major progress amberley!

What was it Freddie Prinze used to say?: "looooking gooood!"

• grlwprls
    14 years ago

Oh, so far it looks really great! We're doing a beam to cover the "scar" where we took down the wall between our living room and kitchen - we're building it from the heart pine floor joists that couldn't be sistered or otherwise repaired. I am *not* letting any 100+ year old wood out of my sight again.

Have you gotten to do any research about Scherr's yet?

• histokitch
    14 years ago

How exciting! Things will move quickly now. I love the DR closets.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Well, it's about time!!!

[BIG GRIN]

The progress looks excellent, and like you've had a lot more pressing things to do than post the pics.

The repetition of form is great, and is going to look fantastic!

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Wow! So much progress, and it looks great! Love your ceiling. Are those the pantries that are going to house your fantabulous pendants?

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Your kitchen looks like my neighbor's garage - he's building my base cabinets there. I can't wait for more of the mess to occur here.

Have a question. I'm also going to be installing bead board. Was told to wait and place it on top of the counters. And don't want to do that. Please tell me your thinking. Seems so much easier to install and paint, then get counters. Mine will be laminate.

Congrats! Know you're thrilled.

Rosie

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

grlwprls- haven't gotten to Scherrs yet. I will probably tomorrow. I had one sick kid on Friday, and the other one home today- :( not much done on my end.

Yes, yes, the closets flanking the window are the pantries that will hold the ever popular pendants. It is turning out to be one of my favorite features in the room. I love the little alcove it creates with the window.

The ceiling was a last minute decision, and I am SO glad I went with it. It was actually cheaper than doing drywall! I will be spending alot of time puttying those holes over the next couple of days.

I am going to be painting for months....

• User
    14 years ago

HEY

Everything looks fabulous. I remember the layout from years ago so it's nice to see photos. The closets will be really unique and functional. What a great idea. Where is the buffet going...down by the table?

• keptoz
    14 years ago

Looks great! Love the sink & all the beadboard! What color are you painting it?

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rosei- you must have posted the same time I did. I specifically wanted the bb installed first, so I didn't lose any countertop. This was easy in my case, because I have my cabs bumped out 3" inches from the wall to accommodate a 3" deeper countertop. The bb then sits on top of the 2x4 used to bump out the cabs. The counters will butt up against the bb. Then I will add a small trim at the bottom and seal that with silicone.

If you want to use regular depth counters, you can still do this, however, if you use stock laminate (that is already made with the substrate and the laminate sheets applied), your counters will stick out too far. If you use true beadboard (3/4" thick, like mine) this will be the case. You could opt to use the thin 4x8 sheets. Those are very thin. They aren't nearly as attractive though- I know- I used them for my basement, and I wish I hadn't.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey cleo-

The sideboard will be centered on the window on the wall that is still painted red. The table will run longways between that and the sideboard. That sideboard is the whole reason I have this layout! It I could have I would have run the island more into the DR with the table butting up against it (remember my chefs' table idea?). But alas, little miss sideboard always bumps her butt in the way...

I love that piece and I refused to lose it. I would have considered it in the LR, but there is no wall space long enough.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

keptoz-

Cabs will be a light warm putty neutral. I will paint everything else first so I am sure.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Progress at your house! My sink went in at about the same stage as yours. I bit my tongue from asking WHY so soon!! I was scared to death something bad would happen.

I recycled when I could both for cost savings and reduce/reuse/recycle. I need your front door. Any chance you are going to replace it? And your open stairway, too. OK? Real hardwood. Mine is fake. 45+ years ago I had real hardwood kitchen floors. EVERYONE thought I was nuts. My former MIL was the first to hint at it;-)

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pinch- you always make me laugh. Front door is new (1 1/2 years) but is an almost exact copy of the original (orig had recessed panel, this one is raised)- and is painted in FPE full gloss black. I love it. Trust me when I tell you the open stairway is a PITA. All the dust, dog hair, anything that falls to the floor upstairs, falls down right there. I had a piece of furniture there for YEARS, until I wised up and put it behind my sofa instead of opposite. I am am much happier girl now. Makes more sense for the "hallway" area too. You'll see what I mean when I do reveal pics someday...

The hardwood is wonderful. Even when it needs to be refinished it is still wonderful. I don't know why people think it is nuts to have hardwood. I love that you can walk in bare feet and not be cold in the winter!

My sink actually went in about 15 minutes before the soapstone guy came to template. My guys are very careful, and they know that the sink is my "baby". I really need to take a pic in the am to show you guys how awesome of a carpenter he is. It is scribed perfectly!!

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Love progress...any progress. You must be thrilled! Can't wait to see the warm putty color--what color did you decide upon?

Keep posting pics. It's inspiration for those of us that still have no cabinets. Hopefully I can post something similar within the week though. It's been a long year of waiting and only 3 more months!!!

• prill
    14 years ago

That looks wonderful. Is that a hint of the color painted already. What color did you choose?

I can't wait to see this all come together. You have picked such wonderful elements.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

OOoo, I love your ceiling! What is the actual material? Will it be painted or left natural? I can't wait to see the finished pics!

• pirula
    14 years ago

I can't even remember when my sink went in. See? It just proves that you forget all the pain once it's over and you're enjoying your new kitchen!

Agree about the hardwoods, nothing better.

Speaking of open stairs, amberley, let me share just for fun and because I'm THRILLED! We also have an open stairway to the walk out basement. Well, it had the same carpeting on it that the PO's installed before they sold the house. We figured we'd leave it and not deal with the plywood stairs until we were ready to remodel the stairs as part of the basement portion of the remodel (we did entire first floor first). Anyway... on Sunday, good friend with mondo cat allergies is coming for dinner. The darned stairs, you are right, are a dust, pet hair magnet and a nightmare to vacuum. So I ask DH, hey can you shop vac the stairs for poor Todd so he doesn't wheeze to death tonight. Instead, DH decides hey, we're not that far off from redoing the stairs. We can live with the plywood for a while, and he rips out the carpet. Original, solid, quartersawn, white oak. JUST like the floors upstairs. WHOOOPEEEEE!

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pirula I am so jealous. The only wall to wall we have in my house is on those darn basement stairs. Ours, unfortunately, have aesbestos tile over plywood. Those won't be coming up as long as I live here! So it will be carpet for me :(.

We have a good quality wtw runner on our regular stairs that was free (my parents put really good wtw in one room there house and there was enough to do the stair runner with the leftovers) and will stay until we decide to refinish the stairs (not looking forward to THAT now that I know how much dust it creates). I would love to have a painted runner, but with 2 kiddos and a lab, someone would be slipping all the time...

staceyneil- the ceiling is clear pine (as opposed to knotty). It only cost about $500 for the material, and the labor was pretty darn cheap since it didn't take long to put up. In the end it comes in slightly cheaper then plain old drywall! And I love it! It will be painted Farrow&Ball White Tie.

The color you see on the island is just the Hazelnut color of my mom's kitchen. We are using some leftovers from their install to cut costs (it is all getting painted anyway) and also some salvage as well. The kitchen portion of our hardwoods are salvage, whereas the rest of the floor is original.

• amberley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

grlwprls- just cehcked Scherr's- I am happppeeeeeeee!
    See my new thread!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH