Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hyjenist1

Can a range hood destroy us!?!

hyjenist
10 years ago

I am the researcher and budgeter. My partner is the dreamer and styler having champagne taste with beer(maybe craft beer) budget. We are struggling with a vent hood.

We absolutely can not vent outside due to budget.

Lots of research here on GW. Modern-aire has such positive reviews. We were all set to order a beautiful 30" wall mounted FAN from modern-aire and then..... I am not exactly comfortable with $3k for a hood! I understand its a quality product and you pay for that.

Found a broan for much less. However now the cabinet maker will need to make some adjustments adding to his cost. All in all probably costing $1500 w price of hood. And of course we are not exactly in love with it.
Do we bite the bullet and go over budget yet again! We are stuck and need to make a decision that will make us both happy! Looking for feed back from others in similar situations.

Comments (16)

• Zivman
    10 years ago

on an item like that, I say buy the one you want. that said, if you can't vent outside, functionally I don't think it's worth the money.

• User
    10 years ago

What's below the hood? And why do you say you "can't" vent externally? Condo? If it's allowed, it's doable by someone creative. You just have to be smarter than the materials you're working with.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We also can't vent outside (condo), so we got an unassuming but fairly effective (for what it is) under-cabinet recirculating hood. Personally I don't see the point of spending a ton of money for a hood that doesn't do much! (I'd rather have extra cabinetry). Anyway, the Zephyr Genova is what we got - and as I said, for a recirculating hood, it does a fine job (at least it draws steam and smoke away from the cabinets).

• lannegreene
    10 years ago

If this is a big highlight of the kitchen, then I say wait and save till you can buy the hood you love. You aren't loosing functionality you are used to while you wait.

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hollysprings- we are in a townhouse. GC said it could be done but we do not have it in budget. We have finished basement underneath and 3 floors to attic. Our plan is to love new kitchen for about 7-10 years and sell. Not interested in that kind of investment. I will be the first to say.....I am not smarter than the materials when it comes to kitchen renovations! LOL But I'm learning!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you can't vent outside. I'm in a condo and our hood vents to the walkway. It's just a hole in a wall with a duct. Yes you would need permission from the condo association, but it should be possible. I cannot imagine spending that much $$ on a recirculating vent. I would skip the whole thing if I was not planning to vent to the outside, and spend the money on spring cleaning services. JMHO.

Maybe investigate installing a whole-home air filter instead? A good one would be about $1000 and would help with capturing air pollution from cooking.

• farmhousebound
    10 years ago

I can see where you are having some hesitancy regarding the Modern Aire hood if this is not your forever home--it is a big investment. That being said, once I saw the Modern Aire hood I knew it was the only one that would go over our 1930's Chambers Stove and scrimped and saved for it. My DH thought I was crazy but he didn't protest too much which means he thought it was perfect, too. He likes to tell folks it cost more than his first car :) While I originally liked it for its beauty, I love it for its functionality. Since you're going to be staying in your home for such a long time and if you can swing it, I say go for it. If it helps any, if you stay in your new kitchen for the next 7 years, that comes out to about $36 a month, or just a little over a $1 a day--small price to pay for something you both like.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

It's not ideal but not the end of the world. I would look at Broan, Miele and Zephyr recirculating hoods.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

How much would it cost to vent? I can't imagine spending $3000 on a hood that doesn't even vent. Unless you have a lot of obstacles I can't see that it would cost even $3000 to install venting.

• User
    10 years ago

If the kitchen is anywhere closer than 30' to an outside wall, a vent can be run through a chase to the outside. Maybe you need a different contractor.

• crl_
    10 years ago

I wouldn't be able to bring myself to spend that much for a hood that didn't vent to the outside in a house I wasn't planning to keep for the long haul.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Just adding to the chorus of people that say if it is economically impossible to vent outside, buy the less expensive hood. (I bought a Modern-Aire, for the record, but vent directly outside).

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I found my ModernAire hood on eBay for $475. It was brand new, but the owner didn't like it in her kitchen. She took it out and put it on eBay for a quarter of the original price. Lucky for me, she was local.

If you have time and the stomach for it, you can find a lot of great stuff for less on eBay and Craig's list.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"Maybe you need a different contractor."

Yep.

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! Think we are going to go for the less expensive.
    Just doesnt seem like a good investment. It's always possible to change it later??
    Lucky me - i have a 2nd kitchen remodel planned for next year in a rental. I could always swap it out.

1929spanish- I L.O.V.E your hood and kitchen! I have periodocially checked eBay/craigslist..... To no avail.

As for a new GC- probably should have explained he's my super hard-working step-dad! He has done a roof,patio, deck, bathroom, windows gutters and many many more odds and ends for me.....at his cost. Best GC EVER!! Even if I can't have my hood ducted;)