Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizpiz

Finally - Elizpiz's Finished Kitchen

elizpiz
15 years ago

Well, here it is I am finally posting my finished kitchen. A quick "before and after" Â full album linked below.

Before...

After...

Some background and few details:

Our house is almost 100 years old and as such, the original kitchen was quite small  about 9x10. We have an unusually shaped lot, and the shape allowed for us to be able to knock down an exterior wall and build out. Here is the original floor plan:

I love to cook but for all of my adult life I have never cooked in a kitchen that was bigger than 9x10. I've never had a dishwasher before, unless DH counts (we didn't have one in my family home either) and the efficiency in our "zone" came from being able to reach everything because the space was so darn small!

The objective was to make the kitchen look like it was always there, with more up to date appliances. To achieve that, we had the cabinets hand painted and distressed and chose heritage colours. We used reclaimed oak planks for the island countertop; the hardware is a combination of hand forged cast iron from England and finds from architectural salvage. Countertops and the main sink are soapstone.

An imperative was to find a home for my 300+ (and counting) cookbook collection. We achieved that through clever cabinetry and the acquisition of a beautiful old hutch.

But most of all, we wanted the kitchen to be the heart of the house, and it really is. I can honestly say that we don't sit in the living room anymore!

We started the project in May and it was completed in December. The past few weeks have been spent getting the finishing details (stools, etc). Along with the kitchen, we rewired the house, excavated down to a new laundry room, added storage, repainted everything, redid the bathroom in the basement etc etc... It was a house reno disguised as a kitchen addition.

We didn't work with a designer - the ideas were ours, brought to life by our GC - and primarily me spending *hours* right here with all of you dear GWerÂs. So THANK YOU for all of your generosity, your advice, your wisdom and your passion for all things TKO Â I wish I could throw a giant GW party to give you all a big hug!

Top notes (feel free to contact me if you have questions):

Soapstone counters

Custom cabinetry

Liebherr fridge

TurboChef double ovens

BlueStar cooktop with centre grill

Modern-Aire hood

Walker-Zanger backsplash

Miele Excella full dishwasher

FP Dishwasher Drawer

Kohler faucets: potfiller, main sink, prep sink

Hardware perimeter cabinets: Whitechapel

Hardware island and fridge: architectural salvage from Old Good Things in NYC

Bar stools from America Retold

Fair warning  my album has lots of pix  I just couldnÂt bear not to include the details.

Eliz

Comments (135)

• morton5
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

After 85 posts, I don't think I can say anything original, but had to join the list of admirers. What a stunning kitchen. I can't believe you designed it yourself, you are very talented. Congratulations and enjoy.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Holy cow! Holy cows!

I am awestruck. What a wonderful, glorious kitchen!

I cannot remember everything that I said, "ooh, that's my favorite..." but a few very notable standouts are

THAT WIDOWS PEAK--I'm pretty sure I slobbered. IT is breathtaking! Love, love, LOVE that!

Your prep sink is so darned cool. That has to be the best one EVAH! I love all the layers to it!

ALL your windows. So very envious of all those windows. That is some prime feline real estate there! My kitties are REALLY peeved at me now. Thanks. ;^)

Your bookshelves and your James Bond cookbook stash--FAB!

Your gorgeous soapstone and your island top--great waterloxing!

The whole vibe of the kitchen--just wonderful.

That shoe storage is GENIOUS! I could *almost* commit a felony for that!

I am so happy for you--it is INCREDIBLE!

(Am I panting?)

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shelayne - LOL - your post made me smile! Thanks again to everyone who has been so generous with their praise.

Since several people have asked me over the wknd to see the new floor plan, I'll post it here so that it is part of the same thread. I'm posting the pix direct, as they don't seem to translate well in PB. The first is the drawing we had to have done for the building permits, so some of the details have chnaged; the second my final version of the kitchen (after 13 tries and lots of advice here!).

Note for those of you who are *very* good with layout software - my visio is not entirely to scale, but does gives more detail. I forgot to mention a couple of DH's favorite features in my original post: the air gap under the sink and the built in ceiling speakers!

Let me know if you have any more Q's.

Eliz

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Elizpiz -
    Oh my goodness! I am drooling over your bookcase. I want to copy it and redo my kitchen. :-)
    May I have your permission to archive your kitchen and details in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can categorize your details.
    Thank you! And congrats on such a stunning kitchen!

• pattyk_64
    15 years ago

I just can't get over your gorgeous kitchen. I applaud your hard work and creativity, it's truly a work of art. Also, your photography is magazine worthy, imo, just gorgeous. I don't know what I like best so I'll just say I love it all!

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I could just watch your slideshow of your kitchen over and over-it is just stunning! Thank you for including all the details!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting your floorplan. I'm going to have to study your kitchen very closely as our future kitchen will also be a U shape. Everything is so well thought out in your kitchen and it is beautiful.

• mae919
    15 years ago

Wow! Wow! and Wow again! you did a great job. Loved everything. Your cabinets had some features I have never seen before and I have looked at a lot of kitchens , the trash pull out with the bag drawer and the recycle bin with the composting. You should be very proud, the though and work that went into your planning really shows.

• intheville
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! What a beautiful space! I was already in love and then saw the widow's peak! It is just lovely.
    I have one ? - is the paint all the same color? It seemed like the perimeter cabs w/stove were a shade darker? I love that creamy yellow color. Thanks for sharing!

• spincrazy25
    15 years ago

Truly beautiful! Can you give any more details on your "magic corner"? I'm looking for a solution other than a LS.

• nats-md
    15 years ago

That is one of the most amazing kitchens I have ever seen - on GW or in a magazine. You have incorporated so many amazing things into a cohesive and warm kitchen, topped off by the stunning cupola. I don't think you even need a chandelier for that! And while I may be partial to talavera tile, I'll have to say that getting rid of your old kitchen w/mexican tile backsplash was not a bad idea! Again, simply amazing kitchen. it should win some sort of gw prize.

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Phenomenal work. It looks so...right! Perfect in every way. How great that you were able to expand outward and get such a functional layout compared with the original footprint. Love it!!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Starpooh, I'll be filling out your checklist - would love to put the kicthen on the FKB.

Thanks everyone for your comments - I'm glad the floorplans will be helpful, Lynn!

intheville, hard to tell with all the sun that was streaming in when we took the pix, but the perimeter cabs are actually a beautiful light sage-y green with yellow tones. The colour is Tapestry and the company is Homestead House Paints.

Spincrazy, we are especially happy with our "magic corner"! Here's what the cabinet maker wanted to put in:

{{gwi:1724676}}

It was clear that we would lose space in the far reaches of the corner because the top and bottom shelf were the same size and there was wasted space. I really wanted to go with a super susan, but it wasn't going to work because of the rest of the cabinetry layout. After much conversation (and disagreement about space), the cabinet maker offered to custom build a wood shelf for both corners. These two pix show how much more we get out of those bottom shelves.

We love this solution and even he had to admit we got a lot more space! :-)

nats, I have to admit I kept a piece of that tile - can't believe we lived with it for 11 years! yesdear, when we were in the midst of reno dust and debris, your posting last summer made me hopeful - your compliment is very much appreciated!

Eliz

• lululemon
    14 years ago

I also love your kitchen - the amount of light is amazing!

Um - I can keep myself from asking - what happened to the back door? The old kitchen had one but there isn't one in the new plan. Where did you put it?

• smilingjudy
    14 years ago

How did I miss this kitchen? Wowie zowie! Beau-teeee-ful! That sunlight makes me want to curl up and read, right on the countertop. :) Well done!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lulu (BTW - love your name - I have my comfy lululemon groove pants on as I write!), you're right - the back door is gone. As we worked through layout options, we decided to eliminate the door because we have French doors that lead to the backyard from our dining room, which gives us the required two exit points on our main floor.

{{gwi:1724679}}

The original layout that our GC provided was quite a bit different from what we ended up with. With our old kitchen, even though that back door did lead to the side garden (which is now gone), we found we rarely used it and haven't missed it a bit.

Judy, thanks for the wowie! and glad you like the kitchen :-)

Eliz

• rknee
    14 years ago

Breathtaking, stunning, gorgeous, fabulous! (great photography too)

Now enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

Just taking another look at your kitchen - those are funky sinks!! I wonder if something with a draining board or cutting board would work well in my next plan - an outdoor kitchen....?

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In response to some q's about the seam on our island. Kim, as promised, here's a few pix of the seam between the wood top and soapstone end. As you can see, the seam is barely noticeable and we've had absolutely no problems with food, water, etc, because of the silicone seal.

{{gwi:1724682}}

HTH!
    Eliz

• evilbunnie
    14 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, one of my very favorite GW kitchens. The windows alone are amazing, but the well-thought out plan, and beautiful mix of industrial and vintage is really excellent. And can you tell me more about your stools? My google efforts for America Retold were very unpromising.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    14 years ago

I have one more question for you about your hood. I see you have the PS15. Do you have rivets on your bands and are your bands or lip polished? I cant really tell from the photo. Or are they the same material as the rest of the hood? Brushed stainless? Are you happy with your Modern-Aire purchase?

Thanks so much elizpiz!!!!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

evilbunnie, that's exactly the look we were going for! I'm so happy it comes across!

The stools - ah, the stools. Originally we were going to go with Toledo stools (as you said - both vintage and industrial) but could only find them at 1st dibs for $1200.00...each. Gulp. SO glad we found these. You can get them on-line at Iron Accents. Although they don't show this style on their web site, speak with Tara at Iron Accents and she can order them from America Retold, as they carry their full line. They are called Bistro stools and retail for $370. Here are a few additional photos to show you the cool features of the stools:

Regular use:
    {{gwi:1724683}}

With back down:

The cushion covers are removable and washable. We are thinking about doing another set in a patterned fabric:

You could even have a glass piece cut out and use this as a patio table:

And the height is fully adjustable. This photo also shows the beautiful rustic cast iron material:

HTH!

twogirls, here's a close up of the hood. No rivets; all the same material. We're very happy so far although to be honest the installation was incorrect so we're waiting to have it adjusted, and haven't put it to full use. The folks at MA were really nice and easy to deal - before ordering, I called them direct with a bunch of questions, even though we got it through a local distributor here in Toronto.

Cheers,
    Eliz

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the hood and closeups, that helps so much! It looks lovely in the photos :)

• tiskers
    14 years ago

Wow, beautiful! Just beautiful! I love EVERYTHING! What an AMAZING transformation! You must be soooo happy!

I don't think anyone has asked about the rooster pictures -- where did you find those? I LOVE THEM!

Thank you!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Tiskers! And congratulations on your finished kitchen as well - it's a great feeling, isn't it?

The artist of the rooster paintings is a Canadian artist named Pey Lu. She does contemporary folk art. The link to her site is below.

Here'a a fun one...

{{gwi:1724690}}

HTH!
    Eliz

• spincrazy25
    14 years ago

Hi Eliz-
    Can you show a photo of the side of the island where your third chair is? I may add another chair, and trying to figure out how to make it work.

Thanks!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Spin -

Here you go - took some pix from a couple of different angles. Although they look sort of crowded together, there's actually lots of room. Did you see the pix above re: blind corner as well?

Trixie enjoying the view in the distance...:-)

You'll notice we put a power outlet under the island here - love that for when we're both at the island with our computers!

Let me know if you need more info (dimensions etc).

Cheers,
    Eliz

• spincrazy25
    14 years ago

Thanks! Very helpful!

• gailrolfe
    14 years ago

elizpiz, after responding to your comments on my pictures, I started browsing and came across your pictures! Wow, what an amazing use of space. Truly artistic but even better--fabulously functional. I love your prep sink, your cook book cabinet,your integrated freezer drawers, for that matter, all your drawers and of course your hardware and the widow's peak. You commented on my fridge handles but I think your's are the best! Love the rustic look. And you have beautiful soapstone. I guess I better stop or I'll just keep listing everything. I know you will enjoy that kitchen--I can easily envision it. Great job.

• hobokenkitchen
    14 years ago

Elizpiz; wow, wow and wow again. Thanks for the link! I just love your kitchen!
    I am going to look into the hood. How did it compare price wise to say a Wolf?
    Thanks!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hoboken, thanks so much! We are so thrilled with the new kitchen and enjoying every minute of being in it.

I honestly don't know how the hood price compares to Wolf. We were originally going to go with a Vent a Hood, and after spending some time on the Appliances Forum, I was intrigued by the Modern-Aire. Our original quote for the VAH was for a 600cfm insert (when we though we would do a wood hood). That was $925. Our MA was *considerably* more (plus we live in Canada so the cost was higher than what one would get it for in the US). But the design we chose meant we saved on the custom wood cabinetry, and we also ordered a 1000 cfm unit. I am so happy with our decision. MA was a dream to deal with (our original hood came in the wrong colour and it was no problem to get a new one) and the performance and look are both great!

If you haven't asked over at Appliances, it's worth doing that. The folks over there know their stuff.

HTH,
    Eliz

• soshh
    14 years ago

Gorgeous. I love it and love seeing all the details. I would be thrilled if I could create a kitchen half as beautiful and interesting!

More color questions. I LOVE the cabinet colors. Are they similar to any Benjamin Moore colors that you know of, even just as a reference point? I love the way they look with the natural wood and stone and the red!

What is the wall color? Is it similar to the cabinets?

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Liz,

I just gotta tell you AGAIN how much I love your kitchen!!! I was reminded of your masterpiece when I saw your island posted on that new thread about asking how to get a kitchen to look like a CP kitchen. Well, it started me swooning over your kitchen once more! Didn't want to hijack that thread to tell you this. And although I think I told you already, your kitchen is on my short, short list of all time favorites!!! Simply marvelous.

Ok. Back to earth now. :->

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

soshh, thanks for the compliments! and sorry to be late in getting back to you. Re cabinet colours - the perimeter cabs and the island are actually different colours. When we chose them we thought there would be more contrast, but the finished result was pretty close. The island is slightly darker. Closest colour for the perimeter cabs from my BM Affinity pack seems to be Splendor AF-385. If you email me your contact details offline, I'd be happy to paint you a swatch from my leftover paint for both colours and send them along to you.

marthavila, it's so funny you posted! Without a word of a lie, you were on my mind yesterday afternoon. I did my daily morning GW check in (kinda like having that compulsory cup of coffee, isn't it??) and later was thinking about what you had said on someone's post about being reluctant to post your finished kitchen pix. QUIT HOLDING OUT! I am dying to see your MA hood, your gorgeous soapstone, and all your touches! When....??

Eliz

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oops, soshh - forgot to mention - wall colour is close to BM Harmony AF -90 (I have left over of that as well...)

Eliz

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Liz, (and others who have asked) I'm honestly not holding out on posting my kitchen photos (even though I admit to being shy about it). I'm just trying to get my final "story" together. You know the kind of story I'm talking about -- with nicely organized and staged photos complete with interesting and helpful details. :-> I'm also trying to finish my pantry -- but that's turning out to be a separate project that may go on until the next millenium! In any event, I'm hoping to come clean, at least on the kitchen, within the very near future. Promise!

• soshh
    14 years ago

Eliz, thank you for the color info. I have an Affinity color chart here so I will take a look and see if the colors are similar to what I am thinking.

Martha, I am anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the red AGA!

• plants4
    14 years ago

Eliz, I hope I'm not asking something that was answered already but....what kind of soapstone is that? (It's perfect!)

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fern - I haven't been asked that yet! The ss is called Java Black and it's from Brazil. Here's a pic of it unoiled from the supplier's web site:

{{gwi:1724699}}

and how they describe it...
    When untreated, this soapstone is a light charcoal grey with fine lines. Treated with mineral oil, this soapstone transforms to a lustrous dark charcoal with a hint of green and white subtleties.

Although we do oil it once a week, for the most part we leave it "as is" (unless of course, someone is coming over who hasn't seen the "new" kitchen yet! :-). It has darkened slightly but not dramatically. I would say it's a deep charcoal grey unoiled. We love it.

HTH!
    Eliz

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Eliz:
    Your kitchen is just amazing...a real work of art and a testament to your efforts! Just gorgeous--LOVE the WZ tile behind the stove and am looking at that for one wall of my master bathroom.

I am interested in your soapstone....so are you saying that the soapstone "turns" back to the light gray color after a few days? I am a huge fan of white (almost an obsession), so I am going to have white cabinets. I want to have marble but know in heart that the etching will daily drive me nuts. So I am trying to pick between soapstone because I love the light gray color and a light granite. I actually do not prefer the darker oiled color for my kitchen, so I am curious, if I didn't oil it, would it stay light gray?

Many thanks for posting and responding to all the questions!

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Wow. Just wow. Im so jealous! Spectacular!!

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

firsthouse, thank you so much for your kind words! If you go with the WZ backsplash, you will love it. We have been using our kitchen heavily and it looks just great still.

So, here are some pix of the soapstone. The first three are with the counters freshly oiled last Friday.

The next few after that are the same counters, after a dinner party for eight, plus our daily cooking and "wear and tear" - taken this morning (Tuesday). It's hard to tell in these photos, but the counters are actually lighter, with most of the oiling residue gone. The counters have gotten naturally darker over the few months we've been using the new kitchen; I would say that they are not as light grey as the sample photo in my post above, but certainly not as dark as when they are oiled.

The last couple show you the counters with a wipe of an oiled cloth contrasted with the "day to day" look.

Do a search for trailrunner's kitchen; she does not oil her soapstone and you can see how lovely they look (she does a lot of baking, so you can see really nice variations in the counter colour, where she kneads her bread).

cawfeegirl, thank you! I have seen your posts and know how exciting it is to be "in process" good luck!

Cheers,
    Eliz

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Jawdroppingly gorgeous.

That soapstone color (and the way you describe it) seems a lot like the Mumbai Grey I have a sample of (from M Tex).

• doingygirl
    14 years ago

Eliz,
    When you have a moment would you mind sharing with me the width across of your counter area that lies in front of your two beautiful chairs?
    -TIA,
    DG

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rubyfig, I followed your soapstone thread with interest. Did you finally decide on soapstone, then? Can't wait to see you finished kitchen - you home is beautiful!

DG, the width of the island is just shy of 42". The height from the bottom of the wood top is 35".

HTH!
    Eliz

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Eliz, thank you. I didn't want to jinx it. The end result is that the stone place offered to give us a full refund of the cost of material and install, and walk away (leaving us to remove the material in place but also free to hire who we want to install whatever we want). Tom Shadley is coming today to template for Soapstone (Beliza. I am so excited).

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Eliz,

Admiring your kitchen once again (can't seem to get it off my mind!). As you set out to do, your kitchen looks like it has always (or should have always) been there.

PS--if you wake up and discover your hardware is missing, you know where to look ;). Seriously, it makes the space.

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ruby thanks so much. We really do feel like the house has finally come into its own, just about 100 years later! I'm so glad it comes across.

You don't know how much I love that hardware. As I think I said on this post, it was darn near the hardest decision to make. And of coursse I left it waaay too late, thinking it would be a relatively easy choice. Ha! So happy with my finds and I will be sure to keep it under surveillance when we go an vacation :-)

BTW, I read your soapstone thread earlier today but I think I needed more coffee to absorb it all...! Pretty impressive for a fine arts major - I think you have the science geeks beat. So glad you are enjoying your soapstone. It looks fantastic.

Eliz

• kodak1
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I love the widow's peak and soapstone counters. Every detail works together perfectly.

I am still planning my kitchen and am considering the possibility of an island. My kitchen is about 22' X 13'. Would you mind telling how much space you have in your aisles all around the island?

Thank you.

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kodak - thank you!

Weird - I got your message in my email inbox, but obviously this thread did not show up on the GW forum (I am assuming you googled my name?). I am responding here so it's captured and I'll flag this to you in a separate post as well. GW and losing threads...sigh.

Aisle on both the fridge side and the oven side are 42.5"; we "lose" a couple of inches if you measure from where the fridge juts out and where the oven juts out. From the stove to the island it's 39.5". It is plenty of space for us (a two cook kitchen). When DH and I are cooking, no problem navigating. When we have ppl over and they are hovering close to the cooks, it gets *cosy* but still not a problem.

HTH!
    Eliz