Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gopack_gw

Average cost per sq. ft. to install backsplash tiles?

gopack
16 years ago

I am having new granite countertops installed tomorrow!! I hired the same company to install basic 4" tumbled tavertine tiles on the diagonal for the backsplash. I am starting to question the labor cost for installing the backsplash.

I have 35 sq. feet of backsplash. The total for the labor is $844. He said the basic install price is $9/sq. ft. for backsplash tiles. Plus extra for the diagonal. Plus extra money for the sealer etc.

When I divide the total labor of $844 by 35 sq. ft., I get about $25/sq. feet for just the labor without the tiles. This does include the extra charge for diagonal and for the sealers. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Ginny

They are charging $5 s. f. for the 4" tiles. That seems reasonable.

Comments (13)

• heimert
    16 years ago

Based on what it's costing us for a similar amount, that seems reasonable. But we may be getting overcharged too. Keep in mind that a small job is always going to be more expensive per sq. foot than a larger one. A backsplash is a small job per sq. ft. and requires a fair amount of detail and cutting as compared to, say, a large bathroom floor.

• glad
    16 years ago

this was asked fairly in the last month or so if i'm remembering right, $15/s ft for labor was considered "entry level".

• alywa
    16 years ago

Our tile installer is at the house right now installing our backsplashes (x3)

One part is approx 10x2 with an area around the range that is 2 feet higher, so approx. 28 sq ft.

Another section is a small elevation between the main countertop and the 6" higher bar/counter. This area is probably 4 sq. ft.

The final area is approx 5 square feet at the kitchen desk.

Total area... approx 37 sq feet. Cost... $1200. So, we're around $32.50 per square foot. This includes the tile, however, which makes up around $10 / ft of the cost.

So, your cost sounds pretty in line with what we're paying.

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I went with home depot. Got subways for a little over a dollar per sq/ft and paid around $7.50 for the installation. I paid $35 charge for the brick pattern. 41 sq.ft, after all the caulk and grout and everything I finished paying around $600. It looks great.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It might be a bit high, if all you're doing is turning tumbled marble diagonally, but it's not way out in left field, either.

• debbie1000
    16 years ago

A few years ago we tried to get someone to do the installation of the backsplash on our tumbled marble tiles. It was "too small" of a job for most. One wanted 800 per side--we had two sides of the kitchen, about 10' each side by 18 inches. I think the tiles were a couple hundred dollars max. So the only person that would consider it wanted 1800. My husband did it himself in a few weekends and it looks great!

• gopack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. This has helped a lot. When I posted my question, I had forgot that the total cost included the repairing/replacing the backboard that is completely destroyed after the demolition of the original backsplash. So now I feel like the price is probably very reasonable.

Thanks again,

Ginny

• chrisfitztex_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Great thread. I'm just picking out the tile and design now. Our granite is "White Spring" with alot of burgundy veins it it. I had originally thought of light brown travertine, but am rethinking it now.

Thanks for the benchmark in cost of labor. Will definitely come in handy when I ask for quotes.

• kimgio
    2 years ago

my quote for 33 square feet was $2,200 for a new kitchen (dry wall) small mural 4 12X12 tiles over the stove. some pencil liner framing.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

That’s low. Especially since the prices in this are 13 years old and have doubled in the meantime.

• kimgio
    2 years ago

good to know thank you

• Justin Ball
    2 years ago

I charge anywhere from 22.00-48.00 a sqft for JUST INSTALL including setting materials ie mortar or masic and grout and sealer caulk. You have to remeber an no matter how basic an install it takes 2 days 3 if its done properly, waiting for grout to harden before caulk. its 2021 prices are going up it takes fuel to get to the job and back multiple times. the installer needs to recoup money and time spent getting and burning setting materials that hold your material in place and replace tools like blades and basic stuff like garbage bags and shop vac filtera lot plus alot other stuff you wouldnt even imagine.. many installers have a laborer they need to pay a livable wage and need to make a wage themselves. not to mentionthe time on your site is time away from other ones. and Let me tell yall time is MONEY.... skilled labor isnt cheap and cheap labor isnt skilled.

-Justin Your Floor Guru