Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanjuangirl

Which Granite (Quartzite) Slab for Kitchen Island?

sanjuangirl
12 years ago

I love both of these Quartzite slabs for my island. The perimeter of the kitchen is Black Galaxy and I don't have the funds to replace it, so it must blend with it. Both of these slabs have a lot of crystal in them and both are quite translucent which I love. I already purchased the Alpinus (2nd photo)but now one slab of Lumix (1st photo) came available and I can change my mind. What do you think?

Comments (16)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

The second one. Oh, that is beautiful--it looks like the frozen edge of a mountain stream.

• mistydatn
    12 years ago

I agree with mamagoose. I like the second one.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

I love them both for different reasons...the first has those beautiful deep rust veins...and the second has a leafy pattern that reminds me of a peaceful forest....can't go wrong with either...
    post some pics of your kitchen, it might be easier to see which will compliment it better.

I just posted a similar question in countertop selection..maybe you can give me your thoughts!! We're all in the same boat!!! Cheers!

• Dando
    12 years ago

I want both of them!!!!

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

The second one!

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

That second one is just gorgeous, and it seems like it would meld better with the existing counters. But realistically, how do you go wrong if those are your choices, both are beautiful.

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is my current kitchen. The granite is for the island which will be a bit bigger with a curved edge. The backsplash is still under consideration, but I think it'll be hexagonal opalescent tiles in a cream color. The perimeter cabinets (also under consideration) pearl with antique glaze and island will be a medium walnut shade.
    Is the Alpinus Quartzite boring?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

Is the Alpinus Quartzite boring?

Just the opposite for me--the Alpinus is a WOW factor all on its own. I think the second slab will play nicer with the black stone you already have on the perimeter.

As others have said, both are gorgeous, so choose the one YOU love.

• meggswife
    12 years ago

I L-O-V-E the first slab, but I think the second will work much better with your black perimeters. They're both beautiful. : )

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

I've been scrolling back and forth, looking at the Lumix, and the tone of your kitchen. I can see why you're torn between the two--the Lumix seems to go better with the cabinets, the Alpinus with the existing tops. Sorry I'm no help. :[

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

sanjuangirl...beautiful kitchen...I think that first slab would be lovely, however, the second slab would be a show stopper here and would compliment perfectly with the backsplash you are contemplating. Go with your gut and your heart! Cheers!

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your opinions. I love the forest, mountain spring and leaf references for the Alpinus. It almost looks fossilized, however when the sun was shining behind it, all of the dark spots sparkle and are translucent. The Lumix has black veins running under the white that I couldn't capture in a photo so it has amazing depth, it is completely translucent and could be backlit. Wish I could have them both!

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Sanjuangirl-unless your fab will give me the quartzite at his exact cost, I doubt I'd be able to make it work. Issue is I have to have 2 slabs, but i'm only actually using about 1/4 of the 2nd. I contacted Stone Age who ONLY charges for square footage USED, but you have to use their stone they have on hand. They won't be getting more Fusion in for 4-6 weeks and I cannot be guaranteed that it will be as light as the stuff at Bedrosians. I BEGGED them to source the slabs and let me do per square foot, but they have to have the whole lot to do it. I TIRED!LOL. Good news is I'll get my counters AND fireplace done for UNDER budget.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Wonder what a backlight (underneath the countertop light) would do to the first one. It might just LIVE with fractured light.

• N B
    9 years ago

Hi Sanjuangirl, what did you decide on? Can I see the final photo of your kitchen? I absolutely LOVE the 2nd one, Alpinus!