Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ndsa_gw

Lincolnshire Cambria

NDSA
10 years ago

Anyone use Lincolnshire Cambria for their countertops? I am 85% sure that is what we are going to use, but I would love to see photos of someones kitchen that used it. My biggest concern is the black splashes and the 'white' chunks. I like the more uniform colors. We are also considering Silestone Kimbler...but it is significantly more expensive than the Cambria.

We will have Bone White (BM) cabinets. See the photo of the two stones vs a painted slab.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

I am a fabricator.

Make sure you view your slabs before fabrication. Cambria slabs occasionally have large areas of resin (larger than a half dollar) with little or no coloring or inclusions. Cambria does not consider such areas defects but IMHO they look terrible and should be worked around by the fabricator.

• NDSA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank your for that information. we will make sure we review the slab before they cut it.

out of curiosity...where do you recommend putting a seam. We have a long counter (~140") so it will require two pieces. I was planning on putting the seam in the middle of the sink in hope that it would be less noticeable. But someone was suggesting I put it away from the sink because we will be undermounting a sink and that we shouldn't have a seam in that stress area. any thoughts?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

NDSA:

Show us a layout, please, including walls, finished edges, appliance edges, and sink location with dimensions.

• NDSA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry I don't have a great photo. But here is a sketch of the kitchen sink wall with dimensions. This is the wall where we will need to put a seam. All the other pieces (1 to the left of the stove) and the one between the stove/fridge can each be made with one piece of stone.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You'll want to read this post and pay attention to oldryder's post.

Here is a link that might be useful: seams

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

NDSA:

We had a local historical house tour and there was a modern home in the mix. This guy had a seam in a Cambria top at the sink that was one of the most inconspicuous I've ever seen and I've been at this a while. That's where I'd seam this, no question. Just make sure they use epoxy or acrylic (methacrylate) which are much more water resistant than polyester.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Oldryder's point #2 about the vacuum/ratcheting device is what I found important, and that can't be used at the sink. They used that device when my quartz was installed. It pulled the seam together so that it is "inconspicuous".

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

may_flowers:

If fact, the vacuum device can be used at sinks, it just has to be used differently with bar clamps.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think oldryder knows the fabrication business. I'll be watching to see if he replies to your comment.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

may_flowers:

I agree that oldryder knows the fabrication business; it's obvious from his contributions here.

There are other sites that have asked fabricators whether or not they seam at sinks. It was about evenly split. The point is that certain guys have certain ways of doing things. Two guys could have two different ways but that doesn't make either of them wrong or right.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

There are techniques that allow the installer to jack or ratchet 2 pieces with rails for a shared sink together. This helps but does not give the installer all the options and advantages he might need to make a perfect seam which are available when using a vacuum seam setter on a normal seam.

It can still be difficult or impossible to make a perfect seam in that situation if the pieces to be seamed at the rails are even a very little bit warped or different thicknesses.

My original point was that a seam in the middle of a sink can be very difficult to deal with and that I think the busiest place in the kitchen is a bad place for a seam.