Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nattygirl6_gw

Microwave MicroHood Height...Too High?

Nattygirl6
10 years ago

I'm in the middle of my kitchen remodel and my cabinets were just put up yesterday and some of the appliances were installed. I kind of feel like the microwave is too high up from the stove and there is a lot of wasted space below it. I should of took a better pic, but what do you guys think? What's the standard height for this type of microwave?

Comments (20)

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

How tall are you? I wouldn't be able to reach in there.

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

According to the linked site the standard gauge for determining OTR micro placement is about 3" below shoulder height of the main cook.

Here is a link that might be useful: 31 Kitchen Design rules (more like guidelines, really...)

• Nattygirl6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there anything they can do to bring it down a bit? Would it look funny if they added in some sort of spacer?

I'm contemplating taking down the microwave and exchanging it for one that is slightly taller by one inch. Do you think that would make a difference or be worth the effort?

I'm 5'2". When I get home tonight, I'm going to measure the height of the microwave.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That is too high to use. Also measure the height of top of base cabinets to uppers. How thick is the counter? Could be in part the photo but the backsplash looks quite high too.

What is your flooring material?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 22:43

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That is too high to use. Also measure the height of top of base cabinets to uppers. How thick is the counter? Could be in part the photo but that looks quite high too.

What is your flooring material?

• Nattygirl6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The flooring is tile. Countertop is 2cm granite, which will be installed this Saturday.

• Nattygirl6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I looked back at the cabinet plans and I guess its my fault...the measurements are an exact representation of the installation.

The upper is actually only 18".

I'm not the cabinet expert... so is this his bad or mine?

• annettacm
    10 years ago

That's about how high mine is. (not sure if you can tell in this picture... it's a lot of white. :) I wouldn't want mine any lower to the cooking surface, personally. Mine is 20 inches off the countertop, about 19 inches off the gas cooktop. There are about 2.5" inches of cabinet showing on either side (my cabs are 17.5 off the counter)

• annettacm
    10 years ago

Well, upon second look, your might be an inch or so higher, but not much. Still, that wouldn't bother me.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

So what is the measurement from the range top to the bottom of the micro? Can you reach in, look in to see what you are cooking? Can you use it comfortable?

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

16''-24''from the cooking surface meets standards.

• Nattygirl6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bottom of the microwave is slightly over 24" from the stove top.

Without granite the base cabinet is 21 1/2" from the side uppers.

42 1/2" from microwave upper cabinet.

• Nattygirl6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spoke with my cabinet fabricator and he said he uses that measurement to prevent people from bumping their heads when cooking. He said his priority is for me to be happy and he was open to either rebuilding the cabinet all together or adding in a filler to lower it, at no additional cost.

I had my DH check it out and based on his height, he could potentially hit it if he leaned forward enough. I had my kids test it out also and it's a bit of a reach for my 10 year old, but he could at least place something in it and manage to hit the start button without too much of a struggle.

Based on the information provided by everyone, I decided to live with it for my DH's sake, since he does most of the cooking in our household.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

My cabinets are 24" above counter height in this picture! So my microwave was even higher. Yes, it was too high, but it didnt really bother me.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Pulling hot things out of the oven is more of an issue or dropping breakables.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

It's not putting something IN the too-high microwave that's the problem, it's taking out something hot. I had one and hated it (I'm 5'2" and my DD is 5'). But if you're DH is the one standing at the stove, then that may be a compromise you're willing to make. I wouldn't be comfortable letting a 10-year old to use it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I also would want it flush with the lower edge of the cabinets.

• PRO
    you fit
    last year

If not your height the cabinet is the wrong size. The bottom of the mic should be approximately level with bottom of the cabinets to the side of it

• PRO
    you fit
    last year

You have two choices. Either had the installers install a longer cabinet
    Or if someone is handy you can drop the mic to correct size and place a mock panel between top of mic and cabinets