Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherash8210_gw

what color trim color goes with white dove kitchen cabinets

Heatherash8210
12 years ago

some background: our kitchen will have white dove cabinets, honed AB granite, jocobean hardwood floors, SS, and lots of natural light.

Would I paint the ceiling and trim the same color as the cabinets or would I paint it a more true white?

Anyone with white dove cabinets what color did you paint your ceiling and trim?

Could you please recommend a nice light grey for the walls too.

Out of this whole kitchen reno process picking the right paint colors have been the hardest decisions.

Comments (10)

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

We matched our trim and built-ins to the white in our kitchen. Our ceiling was painted a standard ceiling white whatever the drywall/painter uses, it is a brighter white than the trim and cabinets.

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

I'd go all dove. A white bright enough to provide a noticeable contrast with the dove wouldn't be that appealing in most houses.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Our cabinets are BM Gardenia, a very warm white.
    We matched the trim to the cabs, including the baseboards.
    For the ceiling, we went with BM ceiling white, whatever that is.
    For us it worked out well.
    The business of "layering whites" has worked out well for many posters on this site.
    Personally, I think, that except for the ceiling, as long as there is some separation between the whites, you can have almost as many shades as you like.
    Like you, we also went with a grey-ish color for the walls.
    Ours is a 50/50 mix of BM Metallic Silver and Pidgeon Grey.
    If you're looking for a light grey, look at BM Metallic Silver.
    It was too light for us, but it may work for you.
    Also, keep in mind that paint is the easiest and least expensive thing to change.
    Here's a shot of our kitchen and below it, a link to the completed kitchen slideshow.
    HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Completed Kitchen

• prill
    12 years ago

I painted my cabinets white dove and all the trim as well.

• Heatherash8210
    Original Author
    12 years ago

willtv- love your kitchen
    I love the thought of grey on the walls bsince I will have lots of wood in the kitchen, & chairs so I think the grey will complement it well. There are so many different shades it makes me nervous. When we first moved to our place I let my DH choose the grey paint without me being there and he chose a grey paint with purple undertons. Really ugly color. We painted it a nice light yellow/tan and thats the room I want to paint gray again so nervous it will look as bad as the first time we painted it, but I know it won't because I will chose the paint haha.

It seems like more people than not use the same paint color as the cabinets on the trim. It seems right for us to do that too.

Thanks everyone.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Heather, because there are so many subtleties, whites and greys seem to be the most difficult to choose.
    Most of the major paint manufacturers make small 3 or 4oz. sample sizes so, finding the right shade souldn't be too costly.
    We must have tried 10 or 15 different greys before making our decision.
    Be sure to post some pictures when you can.
    We love that here.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Check out the blog called "for the love of a house". Her kitchen is white dove and it's beautiful. It has a vintage quality, and I absolutely love it.

• dianalo
    11 years ago

I'd do the trim in the same color as the trim in the rest of the house.

• lisa0527
    11 years ago

We matched the trim to the cabinets (White Dove). The ceiling was originally some random BM ceiling white, which was much too blue/cool. We had them repainted BM Simply White, which is a warmer white, but a bit lighter than the White Dove.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I painted all the trim in the house, including kitchen, the color of our cabs-BM Simply White. The ceilings are all "ceiling white".

I used BM Nimbus for the walls adjoining the kitchen since the kitchen has relatively tiny amount of drywall. Kitchen drywall painted Simply White. Nimbus sometimes reads with a tiny amount of blue at certain times of the day in certain lights.

If you want to try a green-based gray to avoid the purplish look, check out BM Gray Owl. In my light-filled kitchen it read as pastel green, but in my office where there's less natural light it looks very pleasant. Again, the amount of light and other factors in your house is very individual. A color that looks great in my house may look horrid in yours. Get some color chips to narrow down the color then buy some paint samples and paint a big swatch.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Nimbus

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz