Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Which finish for formal dining table used for daily meals

annab6
14 years ago

Like many of you we eliminated kitchen table in favor of using the dining table for every day family meals. So I have been thinking about the kind of table top material and finish we would want. We don't have a separate dining room, our dining area is in our "formal" living room. It is not as formal as those rooms in decorating magazines but it is still the most dressed-up area of our house. So I want a rich dark finish, not high gloss, but not the formica look or tile either, but one that would look presentable after normal daily use without requiring special care. Our decorating style is transitional.

I have looked at tables at Raymour and Flanigan, Macys and Pottery Barn. Most of the dark tables that I saw had lots of very visible marks and scratches on the top. I am not talking "distressed" look, more like "damaged" look. These are display tables so they might be taking some abuse but then nobody is eating at them and they don't come in contact with water so why do they look so bad?

We would use the table for most dinners and probably for some breakfasts and lunches on weekends and would certainly use placemats, but I don't want to get into running after my kids every time they put down a plate without using one.

Comments (31)

• tracie.erin
    14 years ago

You might consider this cheating, but what about putting piece of glass over your table? A local glass shop could cut to fit whatever you buy.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

We use vinyl tablecloth and pad protector underneath. I don't worry about the table. We eat at our dining room table everynight and many other meals. I get tablecloths for the seasons - XMAS, Valentine's day, Easter, Spring... The kids love it. When guests come for dinner you can take it off.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

I second the glass. I have an antique tiger oak table with the original finish. I love to look at it, but know it wouldn't last with my family. The glass was a great compromise for us. Every once in a while the kids make a spill so bad that it seeps under the glass I then have to lift the glass off the table and wipe everything clean. It doesn't happen that often so for us it isn't a big deal, but wanted to mention it in case it is for you.

• emilynewhome
    14 years ago

Ditto! Years ago when our children were young we used our dining table for everything, including arts and crafts. There was no way to keep the surface nice looking without protection. We had a local shop cut a 48" round acrylic top to match the table size. Acrylic scratches easily but is very forgiving around young children and dropped utensils.
    You can always roll the acrylic out of the way into the pantry, for grown-up company meals!

When I was young, my mother used to polish the wood with a good paste wax. We had what was called an oil tablecloth (early vinyl I think)for breakfasts and weekdays, and a fabric tableclothe for Sundays and special occasions!

• plllog
    14 years ago

I agree with protecting the table. For a table with a fine finish you can't beat custom table pads. (The link is because there are good pictures. I'm not familiar with the company.) The pads lock together, and have heavy felt against the table surface. They fold and can be stored with your leaves, or in the back of a closet when you want to show your table.

• mondragon
    14 years ago

I got a large (thought it was oak but think it's maple) table that I stripped and refinished with tung oil and waterlox.

We use it for meals, as a work area (cooking and business) and it still looks great. I'm a big fan of penetrating finishes, they can take some wear and still look good.

• bireland
    14 years ago

Suggest you steer clear of pine. Our pine table scratches in a nano-second. Fortunately, it is distressed and I can "fix" it, but would not get one again.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

I am never sure what ÂÂtransitionalÂÂ style means, so pardon me if these ideas are inappropriate. Many of them would be custom or DIY.

Oiled (non-polished/shiny), solid (not veneer) hardwoods (not softwoods) are durable for daily use and can be dressed up and easily refinished. The wood can be stained any number of natural and unnatural hues.

Painted wood is easily renewed (repainted), and can look smashing. You could have an understated distressed painted surface, or kinetic blasts of color, even gold paint for a gilded, fin de siècle look.

I think you can make nearly any surface pretty darned rugged by flooding it with liquid plastic/acrylic. Think the driftwood coffee tables that were popular once upon a time. There is an interesting ÂÂtileÂÂ that is small river pebbles glued to 12ÂÂ x 12ÂÂ squares of fiberglass mesh. You set it in thinset, grout thinly and sponge heavily, that would be for a shower wall, say. For a table, you could then flood it with plastic. Some of us have probably gotten extremely drunk in bars that have such plastic-flooded counters filled with pennies, but of course we donÂt remember.

Glass is durable and attractively protects whatever is below. Which could be polished wood, but could also be pressed flowers/leaves, a Japanese zen garden in a shallow box, computer monitors with a picture slideshow, an aerial photograph of Paris, etc. It does get fingerprints.

Glass with nothing below gets fingerprints on the underside, which are harder to clean. I used to have this, never again. Frosted glass hides (most of) the underside fingerprints.

Tiled table-tops are very durable and can be modern, country, or eclectic. Very heavy if you expect to be moving the table. Not smooth at the grout lines, which frustrates kids drawing projects.

For a more out-there look, I once made a cool table from glass blocks, illuminated from below for a glowing look. You could do the under-illumination with frost glass too.

Stainless steel is durable and coolly modern. A more polished or uniformly brushed pattern may have scratching problems. A randomly buffed ÂÂscratch patternÂÂ will conceal inadvertent scratches and is even more aggressively modern. Some restaurants (bistros) have these stainless steel tables with jeweled (engine-turned) patterns, which somehow stay good-looking despite very heavy use.

I think zinc and copper are both attractive. Usually more ÂÂperiodÂÂ in look. YouÂd want to embrace patina.

Polished colored concrete would be very hip, and thoroughly indestructible. Heavy. Can double as ping-pong tables.

We have a 100 year old table (been in wifeÂs family) that badly needs refinishing, so out of necessity we use tablecloths. Casual tablecloths for daily use, rich thick blood-red tablecloths for formal dinners. I like the ability to change the look of the table, and the insurance against getting tired of a particular color/pattern....

• amberley
    14 years ago

I absolutely LOVE my parents table that they had custom made. It was much less expensive than you would think- comparable with many name brands. THis thing could take a direct hit from a nuclear warhead. Not only is it all SOLID wood and HEAVY, it is beautifully finished, and resists everything that my kids have (literally) thrown at it. Their finshes are absolutely superb.

I don't know where you are, but they do ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Tables Made Daily

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Oiled (non-polished/shiny), solid (not veneer) hardwoods (not softwoods) are durable for daily use..."

It really depends on what you do on the table.

American Black Cherry looks great, but write on a single layer of paper on the table with a ball point pen and you may be able to read the writing in the wood.

"Hardwood" just means the wood came from a deciduous tree.

Balsa is a hardwood, and so is poplar.

"Softwoods" come from evergreens.

There are any number of softwoods that are physically harder than some hardwoods.

A hard maple table will take a lot of abuse.

• desert_gal_nv
    14 years ago

I have a big solid blackwood table that came with me from Australia. After it had made the long trip to the US by boat, I felt that it needed some TLC so I emailed the maker for instructions. I sanded it back to fresh wood, gave it a couple of coats of Danish oil (which I think is a tung oil mix) and then polished it with beeswax. Now I just re-wax and polish it infrequently. It's beautiful, has stood up under numerous school projects and small children's craft activities. We eat at it every day and while we dress it up for high feasts and holidays, it looks gorgeous unadorned.It's lovely to touch and use, and gives me great pleasure each and every day.

• redheadcurlyq
    14 years ago

Unless you want something rustic and scratchable, I urge you to get the table, wood, and finish of your choice and protect it with 1/4" glass.

We did this with our 52" round L&GJ Stickley quarter-sawn oak dining table, our only dining table which we've used daily for 15 years (3 kids now teenagers). Glass is neutral, cost-effective, lets the beauty of the table top come through, is kid-safe, cleans up easily, does not require placemats or trivets, looks classy, and has preserved the surface of our table such that it is in perfect condition, like the day we got it. Well worth the $250 spent.

• kaismom
    14 years ago

I use no iron table cloth for daily dinners. We only have 1 dining table. We eat with table cloth and placemats every day. I find that throwing these in the wash every few days is easier than just about anything else AND look nicer than anything else I can put on it, ie glass, protective padding that you get made, etc etc. I have been doing this for years with little kids and all. We just brush off the table cloth at the end of the meal.

For me, I find glass or acrylic on the dining table not that pleasant to touch or see. I would rather touch and see cloth. That's just me.

Besides, my kids are used to eating with table cloth and placemats. I also have an amazing washer and it gets out just about every stain you can imagine, as long as it is cotton. (heats water up to 205F) My poly blend table clothes does not fare as well and I replace it every now and then. It's fun to get lots of different table clothes.

Having lived with tables without table clothes for many years, it is actually the "cleaning" after dinner with wet sponge that is the hardest on the table after many years. Unless, your family eats "neater" than my family, this is NOT a task that can be avoided. With tablecloth, I don't "wipe" the table after a meal.

• kntryhuman
    14 years ago

I just stripped and stained our antique dining table. I sealed it with 3 coats of Waterlox, sanded it with 220 grit paper and sealed it with 2 more coats of Waterlox. It looks awesome.

I haven't used it yet but plan on putting glass on top. It's just too pretty to hide under a cloth.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

The custom pads are supposed to go under a tablecloth.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

We have a 1970s Scandinavian teak table that has taken forty years of abuse. We oil it occasionally. We wash it with a dishrag at the end of a meal. It is the command center of our house.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Yes, what Marcolo said. Pads under the table cloth (whether custom or just the good felt cloth ones with the vinyl backs) keep ball point scribbles, spilled juice, babies banging knives, etc., from marring the table.

• marcy96
    14 years ago

I think the reason the tables at Pottery Barn and R&F look so bad is that they are wood veneer on top as opposed to solid hardwood. I had a small solid oak table for 20 years that took a ton of abuse but still look pretty good. I was going to sand it and refinish it, but when we did our kitchen over we bought a larger table from Pottery Barn that my husband loved. After a couple of months, it already has some scratches on it so I now use tablecloths and placements when we eat and uncover it when company comes over. I didn't realize it was veneer until after we had already purchased it. Try to find a table that's solid wood.

• donaldsg
    14 years ago

I find it hard to use a table cloth with young kids because it tends to get pulled in various directions. I guess you could tape it to the underside of the table if you had to use one. Or if your kids are older it may not be an issue. But for now we are using a cheap wood veneer table from a local furniture store (it was about $100 on clearance) It is pine with a light finish and you can see scratches if you look close but not from a distance. The trouble with a dark finish is it will show wear more than a light finish. This table looks out of place in our Arts and Crafts house with all the dark wood trim, but when guests are over we use a dark table cloth and it looks fine. In a few years when the kids have better table manners, then we can get our dream table: a round oak Mission style from Stickley. So I say make do with a temporary solution until the kids are older and can treat the table more carefully. Or use glass if you don't mind the shiny look.

• function_first
    14 years ago

Sanding and refinsihing a table top is a very straight forward thing that nearly anybody can do (and do again if needed) -- if it were me I would scour Craigslist for a beautiful solid hardwood dining room table (oh my gosh there are some beauties on there!), set it up in the dining room and then kick back and relax until they're a few years older then take it out in the garage, sand it, refinish it and get ready for the grandkids to take their turn at it. :-)

• beschenbach
    14 years ago

Have you looked at the tables at Cost Plus World Market? We have the lugano table and are liking it. It's actually a little too big for our space, but that's another story. It is indeed solid wood and the price is very reasonable. They often go on sale, so you could probably get it for $400 or less.

I've heard mentions of tablecloths, but I think that's way too annoying with my kids (4 little ones) tugging and pulling on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: cost plus lugano table

• cawaps
    14 years ago

We have a Mission-style oak dining table, maybe 4 years old. It's finished with what is probably polyurethane. It has held up fine to my now five-year-old, including glitter glue and water colors. And stickers. And crayon. The only significant damage was done when my husband did a project involving ACETONE on the table and SET THE ACETONE CAN DIRECTLY ON THE TABLE. We now have a can shaped mark where the finish is missing. I'm irritated, but if the table ever gets refinished it will be he who has to deal with it.

Get what you want. Don't apply acetone.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

I want to add my support for using Waterlok. Truly a fab product. I don't agree with the idea of glass or pad and tablecloths. Just my opinion, mind you. LOVE placemats.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I adore our medium-finish, solid French oak, slightly-distressed table from Restoration Hardware. We've been using it every day with two active boys and placemats (no tablecloth) for almost 8 years, and it still looks great. A few little dings, but after an occasional coat of beeswax, I can't tell which dings we paid for and which were free. ;-)

If you can handle the more casual look of a farmhouse style table in a medium finish, those will wear like iron and require very little of you in return.

• annab6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your responses everyone, all are very helpful.

We always use a very nice tablecloth for a large party because that is when we have kids of all ages, older folks, someone who might have had an extra drink or two etc. And with a large crowd in the house who is going to look at the table anyway. The tablecloth goes to dry-cleaners and is then stored untill the next occasion. But you guys are right, for a nicer table I might have to get some padding to put under the tablecloth.

For every day use or for a small gathering I want to see the table. Tracie and everyone else with the glass covers, I am with you on that and would love glass but we need a table with leaves to accomodate DH's large family when we need it. That means removing the glass, taking it to another room and then putting it back. I don't think that would work, would it? Does anyone here do it?

I am going to look into waterlox very seriously as it sounds like what we might need (mondragon, I love your table, it came our great. I am thinking of something like this but darker) and also will check the Antique Tables Made Daily shop (thanks amberley) and the Cost Plus Market (thanks beschenbach)

cawaps, sorry about the acetone accident.
    johnliu, wow, those are some cool choices, so creative

Sweeby, RH has some great things. I really like RH Camden Trestle Table but the larger one is too large and the smaller one doesn't extend. And even that one says "veneers". They do have salvage wood tables but that would be way too rustic for us.

• John Liu
    14 years ago

You can have glass cut to match the table halves plus the leaves, and use just the pieces you need. You'd store the unused glass with the unused leaves - want a protective place/container for them. Of course a spill right where two glass ''leaves'' meet would seep through, but the odds are against it. Might want to check how thick, heavy, and wieldy the pieces would be - check w/ a glass shop.

• mom2lilenj
    14 years ago

My table is 4' round but has leaves which can extend it up to 8'. I have glass that fits only the round dimension which we use daily in my family. When we get a larger number of people that doesn't fit comfortably around the table, I take the glass off and roll it behind the sidebar. It's glass so it really doesn't standout behind it. Then I put in the leaves and add a table pad and cloth. While the glass is off I give it a good scrubbing with glass cleaner and replace it on the table after our guests leave.

• mondragon
    14 years ago

This table has 6 leaves, it gets really long for big parties.

The great thing about tung oil is that you can add a little stain to it and build up the color bit by bit until you like it.

• amberley
    14 years ago

Talk with Antique Tables Made Daily. I am telling you, their finish is indestructible. And the prices are fantastic! My parents have a table, 8 windsor chairs and a large hutch made from them. We plan to get a table from there as well at some point (I am making due with my PB Macie table I got for $300 and painting it for now). The can make it in the style and the color/species you want as well.

• organicgirl_2009
    14 years ago

I was just looking at tables today and from a recommendation from the home dec forum I went to Bassett. They have custom tables that have this special finish. The lady says you could put a wet glass or hot plate and it will not touch the finish. They also have an insurance plan where you pay 200 and it guarantees that they will fix any problems or replace the table top for five years. I am looking for a table that we can live at with no worries. I looked at a pedestal table 54 inch round in the Java color. I think I'm going to order this after several months of trying to find just the right table. They are on sale right now 20% off and she said that was the cheapest they get marked down. Hope this helps I have struggled with the same decision!

• ecdiskin
    14 years ago

Like you, we use our dining table for all family meals. It's a hand-me down, formal dark cherry or mahogany queen anne style table and I knew I didn't want to deal with table clothes every day or yell at kids all the time. I had a piece of glass cut for it in the size that we keep it. We take that off 1 or 2 times a year if we need the leaves in the table (which is kind of a pain b/c it's really heavy), but for the most part, using the glass is a good option. I don't have to be high maintanence...it doesn't change the look of the table. Only downside is that if there's a spill near the edge, the liquid will run between wood/glass and you need to get in there and sop it up. But a little windex after family dinners is all that's required...Just an option to consider!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz