Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenamy

Haas cabinetry - reviews?

gardenamy
13 years ago

Has any one used Haas cabinetry? Pros/cons? Ever heard of it? There is a 20% upcharge for painted...normal percentage? Any advice would be appreciated.

Amy

Comments (55)

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Keep me posted, Amy. I would still be interested in hearing other opinions. When I was making my decision, I just expected to find more about the company on forums like this and could never figure out why there was so little information out there. Even their web site isn't very revealing. They came highly recommended by my KD so there must be others who have had a better experience than me.

• gardenamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sidney4 - I agree, so very little information and I also expected more. We went back to the Haas showroom again today. Price quoted was $19,000 for Haas cabinetry...and their lower end line, Homestead, as $7,500. Shiloh came in at $8,300. I will keep you posted!

• patriciav1122
    12 years ago

We made the unfortunate choice of purchasing Haas cabinets for out kitchen remodel about 4 years ago. They came with glue drips, staples exposed, streaks to the stain, portions completely missed with the stain, portions completely missed with the "varnish" or finish coat; (and I'm not talking one or two of the pieces, but the majority of them.) One broken lower kitchen cabinet and one broken bookcase cabinet. Pieces missing; ie, pieces of trim and crown molding that were ordered. It took well over a year for all the problems to be corrected, at least as well as the company would deem them "corrected." There are still issues they never addressed. They blamed the distributor for many of the problems & delays. From talking to everyone involved, that really wasn't the case. Furthermore, had the product been what it should have been to start... In use, I'm really unhappy with the quality of the cabinet boxes. The bottom of the inside of the cabinets are particle board with what appears to be a paper finish, so the least bit of moisture and look out. You cannot even properly clean them in case they get soiled, because the "finish" will disolve and come off. The finish on the outside of the cabinets worries me as well, I am constantly touching them up, for cherry cabinets, they seem to mar very easily, is it the wood, or the finsh? I refinished a piece I bought at a resale shop that I use as my island, and have not had problems with it nicking and it gets a lot of use. As mentioned in another review, the drawer slides are not good quality. My husband has had to repair two drawers already. Bad cabinet choice on our part, but they looked, and seemed to be good cabinets for the money. But we spent over $10,000. at a 50%off promotional sale, for cabinets & the quality and finish work was very poor. Plus the year and 1/2 or so of not having a finished kitchen, absolutely ridiculous! As I told one of the Haas owners,I can't speak for him, but I'd be embarassed to have my name on the product they shipped to us.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Did you get anything replaced? I have been looking at Haas. Can you post pics of the problems?

• PRO
    Swartzmiller & Associates
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wegotrocks has had a very different experience than I. I purchased Haas and I did have one the plastic brackets break. I called Haas directly and even though these drawer guides were discontinued and upgraded to a nicer product, I still received the product I needed to fix this (which took about 2 minutes). The hardware is about 10 years old. I wonder if wegotrocks installed his own cabinets because if they are falling off the wall, he/she probably did not use the solid maple hanging rail to install. I nicely asked for help and was happy to find that Haas proved that working with a family owned company was the way to go. Julie

• Ann Gibbons
    9 years ago

I am in the process of installing my cabinets now. I am noticing how easy they are nicking so i am a bit concerned. I also ordered several floor to ceiling pantries and they only included 3 shelves. Not nearly enough. I had to go to local hardware store and buy shelving boards. Also the did not send the hardware for the shelves so bought some myself. One of my cabinets came with the pullout shelves not installed so i am trying to figure out how to mount them and intstall them in the cabinet...odd that all my other pullout shelves were installed. One of my pantry doors is warped so trying to get that replaced. Not sure if this will go smoothly..fingers crossed. I so love the way my kitchen is looking and love the soft closing and rollout shelves. Time will tell on how they hold up and if haas will stand behind their quality!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

All of those issues are due to the person that ordered the cabinets, and the communication between them and the customer. Chipping paint during an install is usually due to mishandling. Amateur carpenters and cabinet installers are not the same thing and really should not go together in the same sentence.

• Ann Gibbons
    9 years ago

Sophie....i am hoping you are not from haas because now i am really nervous!!! Just a few points to improve your customer satisfaction...dont leave it to the distributer to add shelves for a cabinet that is 8 foot tall. Just include them so we dont have to go through this hassle. Hardware to hang the shelves should also be included. Warped door is not the fault of any installer...professional or ameteur. Chipping should not be so easy...this is a kitchen with families and people living in it. I expect some issues during installation but hoping i can actually use my beautiful kitchen without worries!

• ashartlieb
    8 years ago

We had Haas cabinets professionally installed in our kitchen 8 years ago. The assistance we received in the design, order and installation process was second to none. We have 3 kids that are not exactly gentle on anything in our home but we have had zero issues with any of the workmanship, hardware, stain, etc associated with the cabinets. In fact, they look brand new. We would highly recommend Haas cabinetry to anyone that is looking for great value!

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have haas cabinets-shaker painted ivory. They are gorgeous, but within, 4 months, we had to replace several of the faces of both drawers and cabinets because the paint chipped off at the joint areas, or cracked and chipped in other areas. This did not happen during installation, it happened as the cabinets adjusted/shifted as wood tends to do in its environment as the weather changes, and it continued to happen for about 9 months. The ones we did not replace shift alot, and we have darker/unpainted areas exposed, but I am told that is normal. Anyhow, the paint finish is just not great-I envision that in 3 years I will have to repaint all of them. That said, they(my KD) has been great at replacing them. We are actually waiting to replace(round 2) the baseboards and a couple of drawer faces for the same reasons. I do not love the melamine lining. It really cheapens the cabinets to me, and I wish they would just let the real wood be exposed. The pros are that they are truly very very customizable, and they do look beautiful. We initially had a custom-cabinet designed kitchen, and at the last minute the cabinet company told us it would be 12 weeks longer. We chose to move forward with Haas instead, and it was not hard to just replace the design with haas cabinets since they do offer alot of customization. We have stained haas cabinets in laundry and master, and they are perfect, still look new, no issues-IMO stained is the way to go if using haas.

• chris3blue
    8 years ago

We have white and gray painted Haas cabinets and they are fabulous! Absolutely great function and look beautiful too. We have boys and the paint hold up well and is easy to wipe clean. I would use Haas again! Great product!

• petrella14
    8 years ago

We have Haas cabinets, I would never purchase them again let alone recommend them. All the drawer pulls have broken, doors and drawers have chipped and all need to be replaced. Cabinents were pulling away from the wall and had to have someone come in to correct the problem. Very dissapointed with the product.

• leonardkathy1960
    8 years ago

I purchased Haas cabinets in 2007 for my master bathroom. They are Estate hickory and they are as beautiful today as they were when they were installed . I was so delighted that I purchased cabinets again in 2014 for my guest bathroom Monticello maple vanilla with an umber highlight. All of my guest tell me how pretty and well made they are. I would recommend Haas Cabinetry to anyone that is looking for good quality cabinetry. They are family owned and their customer service department is very personable and helpful. You do not see companies that offer customer service any longer. They all have have gone to automated services; but not Haas they give you the personal touch.

Kathy From Indiana

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

Recently signed up one past wonder. I smell a canned porcine product.

• cabbaratto
    8 years ago

Wish I had not purchased haas cabinetry for my home. My daughter has kemp and they are a superior product and less expensive as well. My Nichols cabinets twenty years ago were much better as well. Cheap quality!

• cabbaratto
    8 years ago

P.s. Don't be fooled by the show room either. What you see is not what you get!

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Only 2 posts ever???? Suspicious...another one Sophie?

I think you were right about your suspicions - the one you commented on never commented/posted again! Let's see what happens with this latest one!

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago

Have update since I posted last-problems remain-This is what painted haas cabs will do-we keep getting replacements but this keeps happening. We have replaced, then replaced replacements, and it looks like we need to replace, again. !!!!!!

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago

I have lost count on how many drawer faces and cabinet faces we have replaced. We even replace length of the baseboard. It just keeps happening.

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago

It just cracks flakes and peels right off.

• Heidi Adams
    8 years ago

Nearly all of my draw faces and cabinet faces have hairline paint cracks that eventually chip and peel. At this point I guess I am looking at a total sand/re-paint? I don't know. I feel like replacing them is useless-we replace, and immediately the same thing happens. This was a problem from day 1. These are 2 years old now, ongoing issue-my kitchen designer is coming over again this week. My kitchen is so pretty, from far away. ;)

• leonardkathy1960
    8 years ago

I want everyone to know that I like my Haas cabinet so much that I purchased 12 more this past December in oak painted ( City Block ). I never have had any type of problems what so ever. The quality of the cabinets that I received were those of an higher end cabinet. Customer service is awesome answering my questions of how to take care of painted cabinets. I consider my cabinets to be like fine furniture and I take care of them just that way.... Way to go Haas!

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

I had HAAS cabinets installed in my kitchen 5 months ago. It is a new build. They are Cherry stained a medium. They are beautiful, the workmanship is flawless as far as I have seen. They were mostly custom sized for my particular kitchen area and the fit is flawless. They built a huge custom corner super Susan to fit and there were NO fillers. Very happy with them. My KD was great by the way.

• tbedwell45
    7 years ago

Here is what is happening to mine and they have only been installed 3 months. Save your money and use Kline Cabinetry my big mistake is believing the kitchen people in Carmel, In.

very disappointed after paying 35,000 for my kitchen.

• rrockey47
    7 years ago

I purchased my cabinets in February and they are beautiful. They are Valley Oak with a cider finish. These are in my kitchen which is a very high traffic area. The cabinets are easy to clean and take care of. I have had several compliments on my kitchen and plan on purchasing more Haas cabinets in the near future.

• mjarvis57
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We've gotten a quote for Haas cabinets, I'm still undecided. There aren't many reviews,but what I have read is more issues with the painted cabinets. I had entertained the idea of two tone, but now think I might get stained if we go this route. I'd also like to find out what the price savings would be to get the Lifestyle series instead of the Signature, before we decide. I don't see large pot drawers as an option, only pull out shelves in the bottom cabinets, so that might make up my mind. I really wanted drawers.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Looks like two, to quote Sophie, "Recently signed up one post wonder. I smell a canned porcine product" on this thread. You have Leonardkathy1960 who's only two posts ever have been to extoll how wonderful Haas cabinets are and now rrockey47 who's only post sounds very similar to leonardkathy1960.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Pretty hard to tell anything here. People can be angry and post a bad review and never post again, does not really prove they are just trolling, albeit it could be suspicious.

I think the really big point to be made here, and I actually think Sophie may have stated it... most these problems can be more related to the installer than the cabinet people. Not discounting any legitimate issues, just saying that cabinets coming off the walls is an install problem, not a problem with the cabinet itself.

As for what looks like a cabinet door front coming unglued? Again.. there are lots of complaints from people with other brands as well. We rarely hear from the people that don't have a problem.

Wish we had real world people with real world pictures of actual problems and details of how they did or did not get them fixed. That would be good info.

Not that I need cabinets.. just felt like throwing my 2 cents.. (okay.. really like half a cent..) in the ring ;)

R

• rrockey47
    7 years ago

Sorry to burst your bubble I am not kleanard. I'm sorry you feel so threaten by people who are happy with their cabinets that you try to dis-credit what we have to say because we are very happy with ours. I would buy and am buying HAAS again.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Pretty hard to tell anything here. People can be angry and post a bad review and never post again, does not really prove they are just trolling, albeit it could be suspicious.

Russ you are a sweetie. I wasn't commenting about those complaining about the cabinets. I was commenting about the spammers who have no history on GW at all, no idea books and their only comments are to praise how wonderful the product is. In this case Haas cabinets. And the wording between the two posters was similar too.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@rrockey47 - um.. not sure if you were talking to me. I was displaying confusion, not trying to discredit anyone. I do not need cabinets.. well, i DO.. lol.. but I already have a cabinet maker ;)

Oh, you meant CP.. blech.. foh-ghet I said anythang!

R

• rrockey47
    7 years ago

No sorry sorry for the confusion Russ . I agree with what you said.

• gardenamy
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Totally cracks me up when my old post resurfaces :) I never ended up with Haas. Ended up having Amish built. Best decision I ever made.

• john g
    7 years ago

We are looking into upgrading our kitchen, and we were thinking of buying Haas cabinets. Their Signature line in a beaded white painted finish. This is my 1'st time posting. Many of the reviews don't sound too promising, sounds like others have had lots of problems with Haas. Although some may be the installers problems. I thought Haas only dealt with certain dealers, so it would seem Haas would also stand behind the install? What is the warranty with Haas cabinets? Thanks, Johnny

• nanakeroyd
    7 years ago

We purchased our home 6 years ago and it is now 16 years old. The house had been a rental house for 10 years. The builder first owner installed Haas cabinets. A set of quads lived in the house for a couple of years with their parents and i am sure it had recieved a lot of wear and tear. We had to paint, and upgrade most things in the house, but the Haas cabinetry was not one of those things we had to touch. I have noticed a couple of places where a piece of trim came loose inside a double pantry but as i mentioned, the house had been lived in by at least 8 families over a 10 year period before we purchased it. Although the finish is dated (oak) the cabinets are still quite attractive and look upscale. The slides and pullouts and turntables still perform perfectly. We painted the Haas bathroom oak vanity white and it looks totally modern now. We have considered painting the kitchen cabinets but i just havent gotten there yet because they look very good even though oak. I do not know if the company has changed its quality assurance over the years but as s second hand owner we are quite pleased. We did replace cabinet knobs.....easy fix.

• galeasikin
    7 years ago

Just read all these pros&cons. We purchased has maple kitchen cabinets 20 years?ago. Finish is beautiful,some warping on doors. Big problem is where do I get hareware, have emptied drawers because most slides have broken. Where I purchased the cabinets no longer carrys them. No idea how to proceed. Haase phone number anyone? Also pulling away from walls. thanks

• _sophiewheeler
    7 years ago

Gut it and start over. No field modifications will ever be with the labor over replacing them. Especially with the back separating. That's 100% rebuilding. Not ever worth it.

• john g
    7 years ago

I posted back in early August where I was looking at Haas cabinets. Well we purchased the Haas cabinets, and had High Caliber one if their dealers install them, and we could not be any more happy. The cabinets are very well made, very solid. We got the self close drawers and doors, and they work flawlessly. We chose a painted white finish, but Haas makes many different colors of stains as well. We are completely 100% satisfied with our choice of Haas cabinets. Thanks, JohnG

• zorroslw1
    7 years ago

Just updating for HAAS. We have had ours, stained not painted, installed in our new build for about a year and a half. Still perfect and still very happy with them. No problems with them at all. Mine are stained Cherry.

• Lisa Braun
    6 years ago

I have sold HAAS cabinets for years. Lack of shelving or having roll out trays that are not already installed into the cabinets are not quality issues. The salesperson needs to inform you of what's included and what is not. Every cabinet line is different. I consider HAAS to be a semi-custom line that offers custom features for additional costs, like all wood boxes, full depth wood shelves, etc. I would say the are comparable to KRAFTMAID and ARISTOKRAFT.

• Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

It is only an installer issue if the buyer purchased them incorrectly. There are times when it is a mfg error. Nothing is absolute. I think someone once told me, "To every rule there is an exception, there is even an exception to this one.." heh

Sydney up there in the old old post... sounded like they ordered cabinets with shelves and they were not present.

But, I could be wrong, just pointing that out ;)

• Lisa Braun
    6 years ago

I hear that....the bases come standard with a "half depth" shelf, full depth is an upcharge...Pantries and oven cabinets do not come with any-you have to order them separately, which come in single packs or packs of 3. Wall cabinets depend on the height. I have sold lines in the past where these things are not the case...I think most times clients assume things are standard as they are shopping around and looking at different lines of cabinetry, such as soft close drawer guides and hinges. HAAS charges extra for these, but in some lines they are "standard". That's why I always ask our clients LOTS of questions!!

• john g
    6 years ago

I'm very satisfied with my Hass cabinets. The installer was very processional and courteous. We got the self close drawers and doors, a very nice feature. We are completely satisfied with Haas cabinets. John

• john g
    6 years ago

Another view of our Haas cabinets. We have a couple minor issues to complete and our kitchen remodel is done. Very satisfied with Haas cabinets, outstanding quality and workmanship. Our installer was High Caliber and their guys were just great.

• Wendy Vernon
    3 years ago

As many of the reviewers stated, I would never use these cabinets again. From the first delivery there were bubbles and paint flaws at the seams of these painted cabinets. We had some replaced immediately as they arrived damaged. Cabinets were installed August or 2018, almost exactly 2 years ago. We do not have small children. We are not treating the cabinets roughly. Almost every cabinet and drawer has bubbles or full on chips at the seam of the paint. Some near handles, some not. Almost seems as if the primer coat was not sealed or dry enough before the finish coat. To add to the situation, the place we ordered though is out of business since December 2018. Have not yet contacted Haas but after these posts I’m not too optimistic. I wish I had read them before. Lesson learned. We are business owners and rarely- almost never post negative reviews, but these are just terrible cabinets. Good luck hope it helps you!

• john g
    3 years ago

Did you install the cabinets yourself or have a Hass dealer install the cabinets ? Just curious. We bought our Haas cabinets several year's ago, you can read my previous posts above, and still to this day we are 100% very satisfied. We have several small Grandchildren over on almost a daily basis, and as rough as be the little one's are with the cabinets, climbing on them, and just being rough, or being kid's, our Haas cabinets are still in like new condition. Haas and the dealer/installer we went thru were both very good to deal with. I hope this helps. Thanks, John

• Ofelia
    3 years ago

Our home was built in 2008 and we bought it in 2019.. We are the third owners of the home and the kitchen has Haas Cabinetry. The wood is in just about perfect condition. The hinges all seem well constructed. the drawers are all soft close. They are such good quality that when we remodeled our kitchen, instead of buying new cabinetry, we had them painted white and they look perfectly new.

• Kathy Caldwell
    last year

We have had Haas cabinets installed a year ago, love them. We had one drawer close poorly they installed a new box promptly. We have all drawers on bottom cabinets love them. No color problems, white with navy island. I would encourage anyone to check them out.