Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccfuss07

Blue Island- should I go for it

ccfuss07
11 years ago

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for a while now but this is my first post. We are just starting a kitchen great room addition and having my first big design dilemma. I'm planning on white painted cabinets in a shaker-ish style (Brookhaven Edgemont Recessed) and had planned to do a nut brown stain maple on the island, but at the last minute we just aren't loving it. I guess we are worried that our kitchen is just starting to look a little generic and want to shake it up a little. I've always loved blue, and was planning on using it as a main color in the space, so my husband suggested that we just go for it on the island. I love the idea, but our kitchen designer is skeptical and worries that we'll get sick of it. Does anyone have a colored island and how do you like it? Would you take the risk? Its a huge 9 ft. island and will have either a white granite or marble-look quartz top. Floors are light/natural oak, appliances are stainless. Island would be a blue/grey color. We are a young family (3 kids + dog) and really want the room to be a lively colorful family space, but also very practical and durable.

Comments (22)

• ali80ca
    11 years ago

I would go for it. Why would you get any more tired of blue (which you love) than a nut brown stain? I am sure it will look lovely!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I would!

• localeater
    11 years ago

I island is painted a green-grey and I love it. Go for it.

• finestra
    11 years ago

9 ft island, light blue/grey, white marble top. Check!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I would and wish I had.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I went for it! I wouldn't change a thing - love it!

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I did a small blue Omega island with Cambria Torquay on it in my new showroom. I had some skeptics, but now that the backsplash and paint are done, everyone is wowed by it. Blue in kitchens is classic, and although it might not be the current hot trend, it's never out of style either.

Pardon the stuff on top of the island and the lack of grout in the backsplash. Our grand opening is 11 days away and we are working full tilt on everything under the sun.

• pseudochef
    11 years ago

I have a friend who did what you're talking about and her kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Gets rave reviews from everyone who sees it.

• pseudochef
    11 years ago

I have a friend who did what you're talking about and her kitchen is absolutely beautiful. Gets rave reviews from everyone who sees it.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Go for it.

Mine is technically a gray island, but it photographs as blue, so I'll throw that one in too.

• ccfuss07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think we will! It's so true that I could just as easily get sick of the brown. Thanks so much for all of the pictures too- I truly love the blue.

Beekeeperswife- what are your countertops? I love them. Going to pick ours out this weekend and that's just the look I'm hoping for!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

the counters are Super White.

Glad to hear you are going for the blue island!

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ditto the sentiments above.

We too stressed for days over picking a color for the island. Reasons for wanting color won out with a little voice that said if you hate it, it could probably be painted. And from what I've seen on this site, professional painting is a doable thing.

Never a day has gone by with any regrets on picking a color for the island.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I love the blue islands. I didn't see any of those before we did ours, and we wer trying to decide between white and cherry onthe one hand and figuring out whether we wanted to put some blue in the kitchen. We would up with white perimeter, knotty cherry island and a blue wall of pantry and utility cabinets to the ceiling surrounding the fridge. No regrets.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

We did blue granite on our island and incorporated blue throughout our kitchen. I love the blue!:

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Yes!! Will be so gorgeous.

And if you get sick of it in a few years, you can have it painted or stained another color.

What shade of blue are you considering? Light, dark, greenish-blue or more of a true blue? Very excited for you!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I say go for it too!
    Here's another great kitchen with a blue grey island.
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/41923/Kitchen-5

We've been looking at the Brookhaven Edgemont door also. What color white are ypu considering? Do you have a layout yet? Would love to see it.

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

Omg do it! Look at SW Rainwashed. absolutely gorgeous. It's more of a light green/blue but it's perfection IMO. And if you wind up hating a blue island, paint is cheap and there's so many other choices!

Here is a link that might be useful: thread w/ rainwashed cabinets

• roulie
    11 years ago

I am in the process of having my island (and base cabinets) painted blue! The uppers will be a light beige.

The first coat of blue went on today (well, just on one end of the island, to make sure we like it) so it's too soon to post pictures, but I will as soon as it's done. (I am painting the existing 40-year-old cabinets.)

I posted a similar question about a month ago... search for roulie or navy cabinets for the thread... I got a lot of support for blue!

• ccfuss07
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We're thinking a mid-toned greyish blue would be best in the space. The KD is coming tomorrow with the samples and it literally needs to be picked out and ordered then or we will hold up the whole project, so the pressure is on. She is also going to have a cow when I tell her we're getting a farmhouse sink after all. I am nervous, but excited- blue just feels right to me once we thought of it. I've never posted a pic- but the link below is our inspiration photo.

island: We're doing the Alpine White for the perimeter. I was planning on doing the Antique but it looked too yellow against my existing trim (which I have in the whole house). I loved both, you just have to see it in your room. I like the Edgemont door a lot- it's got the simplicity of shaker but the little bevel detail really makes it pop.

If I can figure out how to post the layout I will.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Inspiration photo[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-coastal-colonial-renovation-the-ultimate-island-traditional-kitchen-newark-phvw-vp~338282)

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful shade! My #1 rule: always trust your instincts. It will turn out awesome I'm certain! Good luck choosing the perfect blue!!

• roulie
    11 years ago

another example of medium blue/gray with white uppers. Pretty!

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Minneapolis Kitchen And Bath CliqStudios Cabinets