Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite...wood vs. laser template...does it matter? Also a crack

Posted by homebuyer23 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:46

I found some Jet Mist honed I love at the very first granite yard I wandered into off the street. They have since contacted me and given me a good price on it.

I know its good, because now I've gone to the yard my contractor recommends and they have Jet Mist also, but they quoted a much higher price, then gave me my contractor's 15% discount but theyre still about $3/400 more than the first place even with that discount.

I am wondering if you get what you pay for though...the less expensive yard does wood templating, the other one does laser. I haven't researched that too much yet but to me laser sounds like it'd be better than wood? Though my contractor somewhat disagreed.

Also, the Jet Mist at the less expensive place has a crack in it. From reading on here I realize that may not matter, much.

Is it it worth an extra $400 to get a slab without a crack that will be laser installed? It'd be really nice to save $400.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite...wood vs. laser template...does it matter? Also a cr

Ours was done with cardboard. Came out great. Our fabricator said laser has limitations with more complicated layouts where the the counter turns a corner. (outside turn, not inside) Hope that makes sense.

o

I am a fabricator.

Laser or wood doesn't matter if the guy doing the measure is competent.

re: the crack also not a big deal as long as you are ok ith it

o

I agree with oldryder. The benefits of each only are benefits to the fabricator. It has nothing to do with the end product.

o

Our granite was templated with a laser system. Here's a 3-1/2 min. video at the bottom of this page which shows how it works.

I'm not sure why laser might have a hard time with outside (or any) corners. This is our outside corner. This was was never intended to have a backsplash, so it had to be right. All of our walls look like this.

Interesting edge photo Granite7.jpg

photo Granite15.jpg

The wall opposite the peninsula towards the corner to the right is so not even. The builders 40 years ago placed the wall studs with one crown facing the kitchen instead of away which makes a bulge in the wall at that spot (just to the left of that last outlet). We had to carve the wall board a bit to slide the granite into place and repair it afterwards, but the counters hug the wall the entire distance.

This is where the sink counter dead-ends into the pantry, another spot where the edge would always show. You can see where they shaved a little so the pantry door would open properly. That was done on-site. The back wall is just as tight, although it eventually had a backsplash installed.

Tight fit to adjoining cabinet photo Granite10.jpg

I'm quite sure that there are fabricators who template with cardboard or luan or whatever and get really good results. The question is, is your's one of them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Laser templating

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here